SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Sydenham Hill Roadside Shrine
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

08-07-2010 08:53 AM

Something I've only ever seen from a car so never had a chance to see up close...does anyone know the back-story to the roadside shrine in the wooded area near the Dulwich Wood House pub on Sydenham Hill. I was reminded of this as there was a programme about roadside shrines on telly last night. This one intrigues me as it seems to have developed from the usual flowers to ornaments and memorial stones.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ForestHillier

08-07-2010 09:03 AM
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

08-07-2010 09:26 AM

Thanks

roz

09-07-2010 12:23 AM

Thanks, I was also wondering about this. It looks as if its been there a lot longer than three years. Is this on private land?

Also interesting is Beltwood House itself. Its seems a grand place which has fallen into disrepair and has a number of dumped cars in and around it. Anyone know more about that?

Triangle

09-07-2010 10:13 AM

Friends of mine used to live in Canbury Mews and the fronts of the houses actually border the bend opposite The Dulwich Woodhouse pub. They once told me that the bend is notorious for catching out drivers and following the frequent sound of squeeling tyres, they were always holding there breath for the "bang".

kingfisher

09-07-2010 12:39 PM

"Also interesting is Beltwood House itself. Its seems a grand place which has fallen into disrepair and has a number of dumped cars in and around it. Anyone know more about that?"

The Baskerville of Beltwood House.

psyche9

10-07-2010 08:30 AM

The dumped cars, abandoned marquee and so forth were there when the heiress owned the place. Earlier in the year there was a lot of workmen there (I take a lot of interest in it and secretly regard it as my house). There is more info here
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.p...6e1b01b25d

Snazy

15-07-2010 02:53 PM

I noticed the "shrine" a while back, but have to say there have been flowers and candles left at that site for many years now. Is this now visited by a few victims families ?

I thought the official shrine had been put in place by the long standing visitors to the site, but if there are multiple that is very sad indeed.

davhel52

12-09-2010 11:04 AM

The house in question on Sydenham Hill is in Southwark.Anything you need to know should therefore be addressed to Southwark.
The memorial is to a motorbike rider who left the road one night about 3 years ago and was killed.His family are obviously very religious and loved their Son/Father.Whether or not permission was given for the Memorial/Headstone I wouldnt know but I can see no harm in it.Rumour has it that permission was given but I done know and franly it isnt any of my business.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

14-09-2010 09:30 PM

eh?..........

davhel52

14-09-2010 09:50 PM

I dont know and frankly its non of my business.Sorry about the Grammar.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields