SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Homeless lady in Horniman Triangle
Novels

03-09-2010 10:42 AM

In the last few days I've noticed that a lady has been sleeping rought in the Horniman Triangle, and on Wednesday afternoon she was sleeping in the Horniman Gardens. Her hair is all matted, here clothes awfully worn out and all she's got is a shopping bag and an umbrella.
I feel very, very sorry for her but I don't know how to help (I'm penniless myself and hooked on to a small part time job). Any charities / support you could suggest?
Thank you so much!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

03-09-2010 11:06 AM

She gets a coffee from The Forest every morning. Only seen her around in the last month or so.

Mickey

03-09-2010 12:44 PM

I have noticed her too, quite sad really she dosnt look very well at all. I do wonder what her story is.....
I am not really sure how one would go about getting help, Council?

roz

05-09-2010 01:34 PM

Are you able to give an outline description? We noticed someone standing on the corner lof the Triangle last week when driving past late one evening, one doing something like, er, soliciting, at least thats what we concluded from her behaviour.

EMU

05-09-2010 10:22 PM

Her name is Agatha and she has been around the area for the past 4-5 months. She comes to FH station early in the morning and sometimes we see her every day, some weeks we don't see her at all. We asked her a few times where she stays and she always says she stays at her friend's house. We also offered her clean clothes but she refused to take them. She is being well fed by local cafes/fish&chips shop but with winter coming, not having a place to stay and keep warm will be tough for her. She is a very gentle and dignified lady and I suspect she might not like to take advantage of all the benefits of homeless people institutions. Or maybe she uses them in the winter and that is why we first started to see her in the spring. As she says herself, she likes to stay close to nature, what is also her explanation of straws in her hair. I will try to find out what her plan for long cold winter months is.

Novels

06-09-2010 08:11 AM

Following advice, I found a phone number on the council website, but there was no answer.
So i've filled in an online referral for a homeless person, but I'm not sure that anybody will read it...

petersutton01

10-09-2010 11:37 PM

Not sure of this is the same lady but there is a lady sleeping rough on the steps of Louise House most nights at the moment. She was asking people for money most of the afternoon today on Dartmouth Road outside the entrance to Louise House.

roz

11-09-2010 08:08 AM

I have met Agatha and its clear that she isn't the woman exhibiting soliciting behaviour on the lower reaches of Sydenham Hill so apologies for that. Has anyone asked her if she would like help? I might try and get chatting a bit more if I come across her next. She actually doesn't seem like she would beg for money so not sure if that is her.My partner saw her sleeping on a bench on Friday near the Triangle. It can be quite rough for rough sleepers in central London so perhaps she has come out her for a bit of a change however it is still very risky for her.

crazyhorse

15-09-2010 01:28 PM

Hi the best way to get this woman linked into services is to call Thames Reach's street rescue service. They provide an outreach service that covers areas that dont have a dedicted outreach team (a team that goes out in the morning and at night to get in touch with people sleeping rough and provide them with housing and other support services they might need). I dont have their number and the best person to call them is someone who can give more details.

Novels

15-09-2010 07:47 PM

Thanks Crazyhorse.
I have called Reach in Lewisham. I spoke to a nice person who got all the details down; whether they'll then be able to do anything about it, it's another story.
I haven't seen Agatha in the last few days.

jd2511

16-09-2010 09:24 AM

London Street Rescue (Thamesreach) have received a referral for this lady and have looked for her a few times, so far without success. Anyone wishing to provide more info should call 0870 383 3333. Referrals for rough sleepers may also be made on the website at http://www.streetrescue.org Just follow the links

jd2511

07-10-2010 01:40 PM

Has anyone seen Agatha lately? London Street Rescue have been to look for her several times, without success - most recently on Tues 5/10 - as well as contacting the company that services the small park opposite the museum.
They are very keen to find her, particularly as winter is fast approaching. If anyone sees her, please contact LSR on 0870 383 3333, or online at http://www.streetrescue.org

Hawkesrah

07-10-2010 05:11 PM

I have seen a homeless woman a few times in Forest Hill about a month ago mainly near Westbourne Drive. i think she might be of mixed race, a bit overweight and she carries luggage with her

lottie

07-10-2010 08:14 PM

No I haven't seen her for a few weeks but it might be worth asking local coffee shops etc who I witnessed giving her hot drinks especially From The Forest.

jd2511

08-10-2010 09:11 AM

Thanks for that info - LSR will continue looking for her. Most of their shifts are in the evening - 7-midnight - coffee shops are unlikely to be open at that time, but there's a weekly day shift, on a Weds., so the info will be followed up then.
Thanks again!

jd2511

08-10-2010 09:13 AM

Thank you - I think this is probably the same woman - the search continues!

showtunesgirl

08-10-2010 02:30 PM

I haven't seen her but am thinking what a lovely place SE23 is that so many people are concerned about this lady.

Mickey

08-10-2010 07:03 PM

I havnt seen her for a while, and was wondering how we could help her now with the colder weather approaching.
I was asking a few of the locals and somebody spotted her in Crystal Palace...........perhaps she has simply moved on.
Very sad.

Rubyredshoes

08-11-2010 02:00 PM

I Spotted this lady many times back in august and september and called the council several times and the police in the hope that someone would give her some support. I bought her a cup of tea and a pastry one morning & she was very grateful. When I asked if there was anythingni could do or anyone I could call she began to cry silently which was very sad. I noticed at that time that she had a rattling chest and worried she was I'll. So I called the police that day again in the hope that she would get some help. I worried that she was vunerable , but I do not know if they helped. I haven't seen her since end if september.

I hope that she is ok

ForestHillier

08-11-2010 02:14 PM

Very sadly - one of hundreds across our great city, must agree, it is good that so many of the good citizens of se23 care, I have not seen her yet either, would buy her a tea & food if i did

Makes me think of the Ralph Mctell song from the 70s = The Streets Of London, one part goes, how can you say your lour lonely,let me take you by the hand and show you the streets of london, Ill show you something that will make you change your mind, in the video, they show loads of homeless people, very poignant - lets hope she has found someone warm tp stay

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vote for the Horniman Triangle michael 1 4,247 12-10-2015 12:08 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman triangle Mondella 0 3,601 23-09-2014 03:24 PM
Last Post: Mondella
  Lost: Silver Arrowhead Pendant in the Horniman's Triangle Play Park. Sentimental. ScottishAngel 0 3,003 14-10-2012 04:55 PM
Last Post: ScottishAngel
  Fire at Horniman Triangle Cafe petersutton01 10 12,433 22-06-2010 12:12 PM
  Horniman Triangle Play Park scipio 163 166,384 11-02-2010 09:01 PM
Last Post: philip
  Horniman Triangle Coffee Shop Airguitarman 1 5,091 02-04-2009 10:02 PM