SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Idiots that block your driveway! Grrrr
Snazy

01-09-2010 12:36 PM

Came out at about 8.45 this morning before walking the dogs, and noticed a car parked smack bang across my driveway. Not needing to drive anywhere, and thinking it would be someone for a neighbour stopping off quickly, I left it for the time being.

Walked the dogs, came home just after 10, car still there. Could only be my upstair neighbour I thought, no one else would park away from the house they were visiting, so again left it. (fool!)

Just after 11 I got ready for work, and went to leave the house, car still there. So I rang for the neighbour.... No one in. uh-oh!

Eventually called the local police who sent a PCSO around, but advised there was no registered keeper on the car, so to me this immediatly meant no point in ticketing it, as the ticket would go nowhere. And the towing was going to take over 2 hours to arrange.

So thanks to whoever owns this car, you really messed up my morning !

Cursing

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

01-09-2010 12:41 PM

I'd say that car was abandoned, not parked. The distance from the kerb and the fact that the car looks beaten up - dead giveaways. I have seen several cars like that recently. One was parked right at the end of one of the roads leading off Mayow Road, causing all sorts of problems to traffic turning in. I reported it to the council after it had been there for two MONTHS (dirt building up under the tyres, wing mirrors hanging off) and it still took them another six weeks to move it. At least the car outside your drive was illegally parked so there were grounds for getting it towed.

Snazy

01-09-2010 12:58 PM

Certainly looks parked in a hurry, or abandoned. Has some personal effects in it, and pennies scattered across the passenger seat. Annoying thing is, there is a 2 car space right behind where it is, and no one was parked there til gone 9, so it could have just stopped there.

Its taxed, and insured on MID, so its not a total wrongun.
Sadly I managed to push it out of the way just enough to get my car off the driveway, but if its still there this evening I will be following up on this for sure.

michael

01-09-2010 12:59 PM

If there is no registered owner (which I thought was impossible these days) then the police should not be able to take action if you smash the window, release the handbrake, and move the car to a more convenient parking place (like the middle of the road, where the police would find a way to take action)!

Why does life need to be so easy for careless idiots and so difficult for those of us who occasionally try to obey (and rely on) the law Cursing

rshdunlop

01-09-2010 01:05 PM

How did it get taxed and insured without a registered owner?

Snazy

01-09-2010 01:21 PM

Sadly no registered keeper can in general mean 3 things, 1/ in trade, 2/ DVLA not updated PNC after a recent keeper change, or 3/ new keeper failed to give genuine or any details to last keeper. (or last keeper failed to supply them but notified DVLA the car was sold)

So its not a clear cut as it seems. Thankfully brute force won the day and I pushed it out of the way, but it will NOT be staying there, rest assured. I hope the owner retrieves it before I get home.

Tax could/would have been obtained before keeper change (expires 11/10) and insurance is a seperate entity, who dont care what the cars status is, as long as you pay your premium.

Londondrz

02-09-2010 09:21 AM

If you call the council and report that there is no petrol cap and the local kids have been hanging around it they will clear it up pronto. The council removal man and I were on first name terms when Waldenshaw Road was a dumping ground for cars.

BTW, I use the petrol cap missing scenario as someone did burn out a car on Waldenshaw Road a few months ago, it makes a big mess.

Snazy

02-09-2010 10:04 AM

Amazing. I went out to see the missus as she arrived last night to show her where to park instead of on the drive, and voila.... the owner showed up.

Pretty disinterested in the whole matter, sarcastic apology, didnt see what the big deal was that she had been blocking my drive for over 12 hours.
Said she got home late and didnt notice where she parked. When I pointed out that her car was not there til after 8AM, she replied that she works nights and got home "late". So in broad daylight she was unaware of where she was parking, quite worrying if you ask me!

However she did notice the car had moved and THAT is when she became interested and more vocal about it all. Kinda wish I had waited around for the car to be towed now. Darn it!

Car is back "dumped" outside another neighbours house now, thankfully not quite blocking their drive, but still parked hanging out into the road.

Fingers crossed our little chat will prevent a re-occurance of my drive getting blocked. And if it hasnt, then I will get it towed next time.

rshdunlop

02-09-2010 10:28 AM

It is illegal to park over a dropped kerb, isn't it? Grrr indeed.

michael

02-09-2010 11:00 AM

I'm sure this was an honest mistake but if it happens again arrange with one of your neighbours to park either side of her car, so close that there is no possibility of her moving the car. Then you can provide a sarcastic apology of your own!

Snazy

02-09-2010 12:02 PM

Rsh, it is illegal to block a driveway with a drop kerb IF there is a vehicle ON the driveway. However NOT illegal if the drive is unoccupied. Hence moving the car to get to work caused complications.

Michael, from her car condition and behaviour, she would more than likely just ram her way out of the space.... SERIOUSLY!

Baboonery

02-09-2010 12:08 PM

I kind of miss the mini that was abandoned in the car park of the Dartmouth for about two years - it was eventually removed earlier this year and the place just didn't look right without it.

Snazy

02-09-2010 12:23 PM

lol amazing how an irritation can become iconic. Laugh

Not had too many cars dumped on CR over recent years, but has become the place to long term park it would appear.

BT

02-09-2010 03:33 PM

If it had been me I would go about causing the most inconvenience for the owner. After I had shifted it like you did, a couple of flat tyres would do it. Just let the air out, you don't have to cause any damage, and as most people don't carry a pump or have more than one spare, it would be MOST inconvenient for them. Pity you made yourself known.

Snazy

02-09-2010 04:21 PM

Aaaah never mind, she is off blocking other peoples driveways now anyway. Maybe one of them will pick up on some of the ideas being batted about.

Happier to have made myself known. Would rather talk these things through with people, than take action.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cars blocking driveway Broddie 13 13,585 19-11-2007 05:40 PM
Last Post: Broddie