SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Save Sydenham Library campaign
sydenhamcentral

15-09-2010 08:23 AM

I don't want to get into an argument either Dave, but discussion is good! I wasn't blaming the council in my last post, apologies is somehow you managed to make that connection.

I believe Libraries are important. Once they are gone, they are gone forever. This area is Sydenham has seen 3 stabbings, two of which were fatal. The Library is next to Home Park which is in Bellingham ward, one of the most deprived areas of the borough. The council has invested £60,000 in Home Park recently. If the library is closed the building will soon become a target for vandals and it will have a significant impact on the local community, including the numerous schools that surround the area.

The council believes it has to make cuts (which I also believe although the government hasn't made the amount official yet, it's a guess) of £60 million over 3 years. There seems to be a rush to close these libraries asap. The reason given for including Sydenham in that list at the consultation I went to wasn't the fact that it didn't have automated book hiring systems, but the fact that the council hadn't invested in the building and that it needed repairs. The council put a figure of £250,000 on the repairs, although no actual survey has been conducted and the figure was a 'guesstimate' by a council employee.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
Save Sydenham Library campaign - simonse26 - 28-08-2010, 08:06 AM
RE: Save Sydenham Library campaign launch - sydenhamcentral - 15-09-2010 08:23 AM