SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »
The 23 Club
robwinton

15-01-2008 06:30 PM

As a result of a discussion on another thread (see here) I propose we start a local lunch club for those of us who happen to be in SE23 during the day for whatever reason.

This would be like having an "offline" discussion where at least we get a chance to meet some of the people behind the IDs.

No pressure, very informal and possibly rotating venues to try out new places. I'm assuming we'd start off with a hot topic of the month, but I certainly do not see it as anything nearly as formal as a book club or anything.

What do you think? How many of you are around here during the day and fancy meeting up for a chat occasionally?

Just because it 'cleverly' links to SE23.com, and for no other reason, I propose we make it on weekdays as close to the 23rd of the month as possible.

Next week is too soon, plus I am busy, so how about we aim to start in February? It would mean launching the 23 Club on Friday, February the 22nd 2008, and I suggest we make it at the Lemon Grove.

Who is up for it?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BarCar

15-01-2008 06:40 PM

robwinton wrote:
What do you think? How many of you are around here during the day and fancy meeting up for a chat occasionally?

I work from home so am always interested in hooking up for lunch. I'm at the HOP end of things but would be willing to climb the hill occasionally.

bigbadwolf

15-01-2008 06:46 PM

Asides from haveing an informal lunch, has there ever been an organised meet outside of the forum?
I'm not sugesting a **** up but some on this forum might be a little nervous about meeting face too face so perhaps a pub may be a good place. It'll also be beneficial because if some are or become uncomfortable with the situation/atmosphere it will allow them to leave quietly without any awkward questions such as 'why did so and so leave so early' on the forum. Just an idea.

robwinton

15-01-2008 06:56 PM

tried that and never came to anything - suspect that family time might have something to do with it, hence a switch of tactics to weekday lunch

bigbadwolf

15-01-2008 07:24 PM

Although it would be nice to be able to put a face to the i.d perhaps meeting up is jumping in at the deep end. Maybe altering the I.D's and attaching a profile that gives a bit of info or none if they choose about the person behind the I.D, such as age, profession/trade, likes and dislikes (no reference to other I.D's) and hobbies. much like the format of facebook. This would offer a slow and comfortable introduction. Age identification would certainly ease a meet up. It may also open up new avenues of discussion ( which relate to the area). We could have a vote and put it to admin.

nevermodern

15-01-2008 08:54 PM

I sort of agree with BigBadWolf about a pub being better - you can nip in for a pint and go, if you're not too confident. I think maybe the problem last time was that there was the feeling that people were going with friends/family they already knew and you were commited to Sunday lunch with those people, and their friends/family. At least when nobody knows each other and everyone's come alone, you're on an equal footing, so to speak!

robwinton

15-01-2008 10:33 PM

c'mon guys, nobody bites!

I'm 37 (today), bearded, and usually smiling. Does that help?

Some people claim they need a drink or two after meeting me, but I'm persuaded that is the minority

bigjulie

15-01-2008 10:56 PM

Happy Birthday Rob. I like the lunch idea - but unfortunately 22nd.Feb is half term week so I will have the kids. But other months may be OK...

robwinton

15-01-2008 11:01 PM

oops forgot about half term (mine is not yet in school)

we could move it to the following Monday (25th) if that works better for people.

... always had a soft spot for bigjulie!

bigjulie

15-01-2008 11:09 PM

bigjulie has plenty of soft spots. 25th good - but let's see what others prefer. I like the idea of being close to (or on) 23rd...

ht

18-01-2008 09:07 PM

(A belated happy birthday Rob, having read the above)

I think this is a nice idea ? unfortunately I work in central London though.
Trying to have a semi-regular meet up of some kind for forum readers would be good though.
It is hard turning up somewhere on your own - but I did so for Rob's walk before Christmas - and it wasn?t scary after all. Smile

ohyeahkitten

30-01-2008 11:09 AM

Any plans to have a meet up on some evening or on the weekend? New to the area and don't really know anyone.

robwinton

30-01-2008 11:34 AM

I think this will be a topic of conversation tonight at the History of Forest Hill presentation so that we can pull together all the different ideas for lunches, curry nights, etc. and decide what form this will take. I think that the Forest Hill Society are keen to develop this as something a little more formal. Are you coming along to the Hob?

Otherwise I will post more when we have something more definite, but I think we should definitely try to get something going in February.

ohyeahkitten

30-01-2008 11:38 AM

I plan on going to the Hob tonite. Hopefully there will be room as I'm not sure I can get there by 7pm. Sounds like it should be quite interesting. Are the forum members planning to meet up afterwards to discuss upcoming plans? If so, where is everyone gathering?

robwinton

30-01-2008 12:28 PM

I am sure there will be room, don't worry

There are no specific plans about where we will meet afterwards, but maybe we can announce something at the end? See you there!

Sandy67

31-01-2008 11:39 AM

i am always around weekdays (in fact they are easier for me to do these things than evenings or weekends )

Tersie

31-01-2008 02:21 PM

SANDY67 wrote:
i am always around weekdays (in fact they are easier for me to do these things than evenings or weekends )

Happy Birthday Rob - I work from home in HOP pretty much all the time so lunch would be good for me as is evening drinks somewhere in SE23. Either way if a meet up time / date is posted on here will let you know if I can make it ;-) It is so difficult to cater for all needs in one hit - so I suggest having a set monthly lunch date and a evening date per month. Am sure as the months go by others will join in when they can.

bigbadwolf

31-01-2008 03:03 PM

Why don't we all just go paintballing instead. Me and the lads go now and again and it's awesome. Especially if you have a smoke before hand.

Tersie

14-02-2008 08:53 AM

robwinton wrote:
As a result of a discussion on another thread (see here) I propose we start a local lunch club for those of us who happen to be in SE23 during the day for whatever reason.

Who is up for it?

Hi Rob, Are you still planning to do the '23' club next week?

robwinton

14-02-2008 08:58 AM

Sure. Inaugural lunch on Friday 22nd at 13:30 at the Lemon Grove (as originally suggested). I realise it isn't ideal timing, being half term for some, but I cannot do the following week so we can start somewhere and get this happening, then it can go from there.

Let me know if you plan on coming as I'll need to warn them. I doubt they normally reserve tables, but she might if we ask nicely. However, if it gets more than about 6 we may need to consider an alternative venue. I've suggested a slightly later lunch to try and avoid the busiest period.

So, who is up for this?

Pages (6): « First [1] 2 3 4 5 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields