SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Conservation area extension
petersutton01

16-08-2010 06:17 PM

I had a letter passed through my door recently, informing me that my flat is included in the area which is covered by the proposed conservation area extension. Personally, Im really pleased but will it mean that the shops on Dartmouth Road will be expected to smarten up? I know that there has always been a conservation area in existence in Dartmouth Road but reading the literature that I received, it seems that the majority of shop frontages do exactly the opposite of what the conservation area is supposed to promote. The whole road seems to me to be getting more and more scruffy with poorly painted frontages, crooked and often broken signage etc. I would love something to happen which might mean these things might get sorted. Does anyone know if this is likely?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

17-08-2010 10:27 AM

I live on Waldenshaw Road which I understand is already in the conservation area. Doesnt seem to make a jot of difference judging by things like sattelite dishes stuck to the front of most houses. My next door neighbour has one the size of Joddrell Bank whacked on the front of their house.

Baboonery

17-08-2010 11:59 AM

The Conservation Area is a con, and should be abolished, not extended. It's such a fantasy that Lewisham can't even be bothered making up enough specious nonsense about it on their site to finish the first sentence. You don't need a conservation area to tidy up - but it's a status symbol that will assuage some middle-class opinion that likes the idea. How does it help empty derelict shops in a tight urban environment to have some pointless bureaucrat sniffing at the sans-serif signage of the place next door? Why is anyone that bothered about satellite dishes other than naked and frankly rather unpleasant snobbery?

I don't see how extending the blooming thing halfway down to Sydenham helps the genuinely beautiful buildings we have - spreads the same resources more thinly. Opposed, and will remain so.

davidwhiting

17-08-2010 08:05 PM

The conservation area extensions were agreed at Mayor and Cabinet on 14th July.

Personally, I am not sure that this is the obvious place to start in improving Dartmouth Road as a retail environment, but would be interested in whatever ideas are around as to how it might work.

Success would require:

1. Considerable and persistent engagement from the local authority and other agencies.

2. The engagement of an active, representative group of local retailers.

3. Some kind of constructive engagement of the local community around the real world issues.

If you don't have the above, the conservation area will not work.

What is the plan?

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Proposed Conservation Area: Perry Vale ‘Christmas’ houses and further north blushingsnail 2 4,571 25-10-2018 05:13 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Conservation Area baggydave 52 57,968 15-10-2009 05:17 PM
Last Post: jacksprat
  Conservation area breaches loca 20 24,257 21-04-2009 11:46 AM
Last Post: brian
  Conservation area, planning and ... the pools? ForestGump 3 5,700 17-06-2008 01:36 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Threat to Conservation Area Teresa 34 31,216 19-02-2008 02:36 PM
Last Post: brian