SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Local walk on 31/1/09 - All invited
Ian Bull

26-01-2009 02:27 AM

Hullo SE23.

With many thanks to the moderator I'm just writing to tell you about a local walk next weekend that I think many would enjoy.

On Saturday 31st January 'Walk London' invites all from SE23 to a leisurely taster of the Green Chain Walks forthcoming extension from Nunhead to Crystal Palace. Generally, it follows the disused railway line but diverts to make the most of local landscape, views and, places of interest.

The walk is free of charge, starts at 11am outside Nunhead railway station and, is 6.5 miles long. Of course, you may break-off at any time. There are some steep slopes and muddy sections.

We'll visit Nunhead Cemetery, One Tree Hill, Walters Way, Horniman Gardens, Sydenham Hill Woods nature reserve, the site of Upper Sydenham station, Crystal Palace Park and, the Victorian Dinosaur exhibit. We conclude at the Caf? near the Park's Penge Gate. The walk should take 3 or 4 hours and the Walk Leader will give a brief historical commentaries. Experts are welcome to correct him! You can see the route on the web at...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2377192

The Walk Leader welcomes requests for further details via... ianbull AT btinternet DOT com. Many other walks that weekend, including some in Beckenham, are detailed at...

http://walklondon.org.uk/our_led_walks_forthcoming.asp

This walk is truly interesting throughout and all are more than welcome. Definitely a case of 'the more the merrier'. I very much hope you can join in.

Ian Bull

Walk London is a joint body of all the London Boroughs and The City of London. It is funded by Transport for London.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bonnie Blue

26-01-2009 08:11 AM

Thankyou Ian
I always work on Saturday morning but would have been interested otherwise
Any Sunday morning walks would be welcomeThumbsup

Londondrz

26-01-2009 10:40 AM

Would have been keen on that but am on cruthes at the moment so dont think it will work. Hopefully you will do another one in a few months time.

Ian Bull

27-01-2009 02:19 AM

Hullo Bonnie Blue,

There is a Sunday walk, a splendid one. I didn't mention it here as it's a little further down the Green Chain.

We'll meet at 11am outside Charlton station and gently make our way to the top of Shooters Hill through near continuous greenery. Here's the special bit... We're going to be allowed inside Severndroog Castle. The views from the roof are remarkable and it's hardly ever open to the public. We'll then pop into the Oxleas Woods Caf? for lunch and around Shooters Hill for views right out into the Estuary. Finish at Plumstead station about four hours after we start.

It's all free and everyone from here is more than welcome.

Best

Ian

Ian Bull

27-01-2009 02:53 AM

Hullo Londondrz,

Sorry about the crutches. Just recovered from a wrecked knee myself.

Walk London's next round of walks are at the end of May. More at the end of September. Mid September sees the Green Chain Walking Festival. I certainly hope those crutches are obsolete by then! Keep an eye on...

http://walklondon.org.uk/

http://www.greenchain.com/

All the best

Ian

FHSoc

06-09-2010 08:20 AM

This Green Chain Walk is soon to be officially opened Smile

John Bull wrote:
In January we walked over the Green Chain Walk's proposed extension from Nunhead to Crystal Palace. I'm pleased to say that the five Councils in the GC consortium met last Thursday and agreed to open the extension on Sunday 26th September. There will be a ceremony will be at 2pm. You might want to pass this information on.

This coincides with one of Walk London's walking weekends and I'm hoping to arrange a walk over the route to tie in with the event. The previous day sees the annual GC 'Megawalk' from Crystal Palace to Erith so this may be a good weekend to make the most of the Green Chain.

FHSoc

06-09-2010 08:23 AM

Sorry - that should be Ian Bull

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields