SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Move to Kemble Rd?
Brodie

07-08-2010 10:00 PM

Hi,
We're considering a move to Kemble Rd FH with our 2 year old daughter. We currently live in East Dul and are a bit spoilt for things to do with children/parks/ cafes close by etc... I'm expecting a 2nd baby in January and really looking forward to a move to FH to get a bit more for our money etc.. but just looking for a bit of reassurance about the area? Anyone have any idea which schools (thinking ahead I know!) we would be near on Kemble Rd and whether the schools are any good? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Herbert

08-08-2010 04:05 PM

Hi Brodie,

I live on the next road, been here a couple of years and really like the surrounding roads. All are quiet, not had any problems with crime etc. I've found the neigbours extremely friendly. A good location for you in my view.

Sorry, can't help regarding schools as i don't have children.

Contrary Mary

08-08-2010 07:59 PM

Hi there,

I grew up on Kemble Rd, and went to Dalmain Primary (at the near end of Brockley Rise). These days, it has an excellent reputation. As, I am told, does Kilmorie Rd Primary School. Those two would be the closest to you.

Kilmorie Rd also has an Early Years Children's Centre attached, so there will be activities for little ones going on there. And Ackroyd Community Centre, within a mediumish walk or short bus journey, also has stuff for children. But the best (often free) children's activities in the area are at the Horniman - even when I was a kid, before the refit of the Museum and the Triangle play-park, we used to walk up there all the time during holidays. Jump on the 185 from Kemble Rd if you don't want to walk.
Smile

Belle

09-08-2010 08:47 AM

Hello. We live on the quiet part of Stanstead Road and have found it to be lovely (we rented in ED before). We don't have children yet but when we moved to the area we were told that the primary schoolds in FH were particulary good and there are quite a few of them. This link may help: http://www.foresthill.org.uk/schools.html. Fairlawn is meant to be outstanding. You should be able to see what there all like by going to the Ofstead website.

On another note, I was a little concerned about moving to FH but I have not regretted it. The tube is great and there are improvements to the area all the time. Cafes etc and I think when the renovated pools open it'll be fantastic.

Mayow Park is also worth a look, it's going towards Sydenham but not too far a walk/drive. It's huge and has tennis courts and a children's play area plus an organic vegetable garden (!). There are hopes that a cafe will open there soon too. Might even rival Horniman's!

Good luck with the move should you decide to take it.

michael

09-08-2010 10:00 AM

If you move to Kemble Road you have no chance of getting children into Fairlawn but I would expect a reasonable chance of getting into Dalmain. Perrymount is another local school for Kemble Road and is a nice small primary from what I know.

The list of schools on http://www.foresthill.org.uk/schools.html is not a complete list, as it does not manage to include my primary or secondary school. Admittedly Elliot Bank is in SE26 (but then so is Sydenham School), but it does not include Forest Hill Secondary school either!

Belle

09-08-2010 10:20 AM

This looks useful: http://www.findmyschool.co.uk.

Belle

09-08-2010 11:08 AM

This is also good http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/EducationAndLearning/

Click on 'find your nearest school' at the top right hand of the page.

meduza

09-08-2010 06:00 PM

My son has attended Kilmorie school since nursery, despite it's not so glowing ofsted report my son has done well there. There is a nice little community and the school embraces that. Its definitly worth a look.

Erekose

09-08-2010 08:34 PM

Hi
We have lived on Kemble road since 1988 and although it suffers from its share of 'urban living' problems we have found it fine. However East Dulwich it is not......
Our children both went to Kilmorie (in the days when David Morris ran it ) and we found it very friendly and both did pretty well there.
Very good things are now said about Dalmain.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields