SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
What's happening on building site by HOP station?
zoewhit

09-08-2010 09:01 AM

Does anyone know what is being planned for the plot of land between Honor Oak Sports Ground/ Camberwell New Cemetery and the station? I'm curious but no one seems to know. (Apologies in advance if this has already been covered on another thread - I couldn't find it).

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kipya

10-08-2010 02:57 PM

It's clearly a brownfield site (it looks pretty brown to me). It's not a back garden so ... an ideal spot for some tower blocks. It would be in keeping with Tyson Gardens development.

roadie

10-08-2010 03:31 PM

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3254

The answer is more boring ... it will currently be an extension to the cemetery but they are clearing the site due to illegal asbestos dumping.

Lots of previous posts floating around about this.

The good people from the honor oak community group have been trying to convince Southwark/Lewisham to turn it in to an urban allotment/ community garden or a living cemetery with trees to scatter ashes.

kipya

10-08-2010 03:45 PM

That sounds like an excellent idea.

The cult of the dead seems to be a growing phenomenon with this extension to the necropolis being one further example. The proliferation of benches in memorium is another.

It's not that people don't feel the loss. It's just that, by extension, everything can be subsumed by it. If everyone installs a bench, or gravestone, for everyone that dies then we will rapidly run out of room... which is precisely the issue by the railway. I wonder whom is the presumed audience for this public demonstration of 'grief'?

An urban allotment would be an excellent, and more productive, and less mawkish use of the site.

roadie

10-08-2010 04:18 PM

Nothing to do with me but have a look here. The HOPAG have been a little quiet on updating the blog recently but I'm sure that they are still working away in the background. A little way down the blog has info about the allotments and living cemetery idea

http://honoroak.blogspot.com/

The parade in HOP has improved markedly in the last couple of years, and no small part of this must be down to HOPAG.

Hare on the hill

11-02-2011 12:30 PM

It looks like the need for more burial space could threaten Honor Oak Park Recreation Group and not just the former nursery site.

http://honoroakparkrecreationground.blogspot.com/

hopper

11-02-2011 05:01 PM

It feels like HOP is being swallowed up by cemeteries slowly but surely. It's a terrible idea for the rec ground to be turned into another one.

Who can we lobby to stop this happening?

dianaruthven

13-02-2011 02:16 PM

our son plays for Hillyfielders football club and the rec is our home ground and training ground. Several of us have been in touch with councillors at Lewisham in particular Pauline Morrison, who has been very helpful and has offered to start up a petition. The main problem is that it is in Southwark but used by Lewisham residents. If you are interested in joining some sort of campaign to oppose it, I suggest you contact Pauline Morrison in the first place.

PaperBagBadger

14-02-2011 12:57 PM

Also, anyone viewing this thread, take a look at this one as well:
'Save HOP Recreation Ground' and go to the link to Friends of HOP Recreation Ground and sign the e-petition!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Phoenix Works Building Site, Bird in Hand Mews blushingsnail 15 22,512 23-03-2010 11:01 AM
Last Post: ryananglem
  Site opposite Forest Hill Station admin 0 4,416 14-10-2007 08:53 PM
Last Post: admin