SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Light Pollution
ana

14-01-2008 08:45 PM

Now I am not a country gal but I am aware that the sky in London is not the perfect backdrop for a romantic night under the stars. As well as the asthetics of this ,more importantly if legislation provided for businesses to switch off extra lights particualrly signage after business hours as well as offices and government buildings, then given normal business is usually 8 hours there would be a 16 hour saving. This has got to have a significant impact on the West's resource consumption.

In Honor Oak park at 8.30 pm, the following shops not open for business but with lights on are Seb Roche, ID , Jumping Bean, Barbaros, the Pine Shop and the Art Gallery and although not tonight, I know Willmotts often have their lights on. That's 23% of the shops.
I realise that in some cases window shopping is a commercial factor...but I do think commercial sacrifice is justified in this case.

I run night time businesses but lights are always off outside business hours.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sherwood

15-01-2008 10:07 AM

Lights are also left on for increased security.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ana

15-01-2008 01:15 PM

Yes that's true and if alarms. shutters and cctv are not affordable then one light in the main area floor may be acceptable, but how do you legislate for this as traders will always argue these grey areas . Lights on or off depending on hours of business - there is no room for confusion. We all need to make sacrifices

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
davidl

15-01-2008 02:52 PM

There's a possibility that they are labouring under the mistaken belief that it's more costly in terms of electricity to turn a light off and then later turn it back on (particularly fluorescent tubes) than to leave it on. I once asked someone why the lights in multi-storey car parks were left on overnight when there were no cars/customers and that was the reason which was given.

See here for some info on the truth behind that misconception.

shzl400

15-01-2008 07:32 PM

ana wrote:

On the other hand, shutters down during the day do nothing to give the impression of a thriving high street...

ana

15-01-2008 08:07 PM

shzl400 wrote:

ana wrote:

On the other hand, shutters down during the day do nothing to give the impression of a thriving high street...

In fear of detracting from the thread, unfortunately HOP is dead in the day and staffing any earlier just to open shutters is not justified . Have toyed with the idea of commissioning an artist to have a go at making my shutters more pleasing but just have not come across the right person. And somehow I have a feeling that since it is a matter of individual taste, I could possibly end up upsetting even more people! Of course if Banksie is on line...he is more then welcome to have a go!

Sherwood

15-01-2008 08:34 PM

Then you could sell your shutters for ?200,000!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields