SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Topic Closed  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Dog barking on Marler Road and driving me mad!!!
meduza

30-07-2010 09:11 PM

Dog barking on Marler road... Every night this bloody dog barks continuosly, yapping for about an hour around 8pm and 10pm. Despite me asking the owners to give consideration to their neighbours and their children.. I might just lose it!!!! Doesn't it bother anyone else?

Find all posts by this user
brian

31-07-2010 12:07 PM

Recommend you ask RSPCA to investigate.

Possibly dog badly treated and will be removed.

Snazy

31-07-2010 02:33 PM

If it's only in a certain time window it would suggest the dog is being excluded from some sort of activity in the house, maybe while the family eats. Sadly this isn't an RSPCA matter. If the dog has shelter, water and is in good health they won't do a thing.

Local noise abatement team might be interested. Best thing to do is keep a diary for a week or so, and see if there is a consistent pattern, and if there is, contact environmental health and ask them to follow up.

Dogs making noise is very annoying, mine have been badly behaved in recent days but have been sorted out now.

junegapi

31-07-2010 05:04 PM

You could try ringing the dog owner early in the morning or late at night. The dog owner would soon realise what a nuisance his dogs have become to neighbours.

meduza

01-08-2010 11:09 AM

I am now just knocking on their door when the dog starts barking excessivly, I feel like i'm turning into a madwoman. The problem is that they are now getting annoyed with me. Cursing

junegapi

01-08-2010 12:08 PM

How about getting a machine that automatically miaows loudly 10 minutes after the dogs start barking ?

Snazy

01-08-2010 04:42 PM

Crazy how people never see their behaviour as it is seen by others. They sound very selfish.
Like i say keep a diary of disturbances and actions, and speak to enviro.

orangeone

03-08-2010 09:08 AM

As the owner of the dog in question, I would like to defend ourselves and comment that I think it is somewhat inappropriate to post on a public forum such as this without coming to reasonably discuss this with us first.
However I would like to apologise if you are being disturbed by our Jack Russell. We have had him for over a year and this is the first complaint we have recieved. It should be noted that he is not the only dog in the street and other dogs also bark at night. Our dog at times in the evening does go outside and bark at the neighbours cat. We are trying to stop him doing this but as you can appreciate we cannot stop him entirely as he is a dog afterall. It should also be noted that given we have a young baby, we are in bed by 9.30pm most nights so we are not talking late either. He is a loved and well trained dog and now that you have noted that this is a problem (although no one else in the street has complained, and we know most of our neighbours very well), we have stopped him going outside freely at night (through his dog door), and are going out with him for brief times only in order to be neighbourly.
I would also like to add that your manner when knocking on our door has not been that of a 'madwoman' although it has been very hostile and rude, which us a shame as we are a reasonable dog loving young couple, who have good relationships with our other neighbours on Marler Road...

meduza

04-08-2010 07:20 PM

ThumbsupThat would be fantastic!!

meduza

05-08-2010 06:57 PM

I'm pleased that you are taking steps to allieviate the problem. Perhaps now we can be a bit more neighbourly. I also have a young child that has been woken up in the night by your dog the week of his secondary transfer exams. Perhaps locking the dog door at night might be in order.

meduza

05-08-2010 07:04 PM

I do not feel that it is inappropriate to post on a public forum as i have asked you to stop your dog barking late at night. I am pleased that you have read this post and it has had the desired effect.

mrfish

05-08-2010 10:33 PM

At last someone has had the courage to find out who that barking dog belongs to. Well done. It's amazing how quiet it can be at night without a barking dog. I can understand how with a new baby the dog might get neglected a bit Wink probably needed a bit of TLC Rolleyes We can all do without the little dog barking at all hours of the night. I don't think anybody wants to be un-neighbourly or indeed have your dog taken away, but a bit of respect for your neighbours wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks

meduza

06-08-2010 09:27 PM

Dog barking right now, I thought you went to bed around 9.30!

Snazy

07-08-2010 10:17 AM

While I sympathize with your situation, I don't think a person going to be is enough to stop a dog barking, or do you mean it's out in the garden barking.
From my experience the activity of foxes, hedgehogs and other such wildlife increases around this time, which will unfortunately cause some dogs to become excited. Terriers are sadly naturals at that.

I personally think the point has been made, dialogue opened with your neighbour, so the rest should be done face to face or through official channels.

Either way I hope the matter gets resolved somehow, and soon.

piglet

07-08-2010 11:38 AM

Hi Meduza,

I can fully sympathise with what you are going through. I used to live three doors away from a dog that barked non stop and it was only when the dog escaped and was killed on the road the barking came to an end and we all started to get a good night's sleep.

The couple who own the dog sound ignorant and unwilling to resolve the problem swiftly.

Contact Councillor Wise and the Head of Environmental Health at Lewisham Council and failing that social services as the constant barking is not good for the new baby's health or well being.

mgmonkey

11-08-2010 09:36 PM

Not sure if it's the same Jack Russell, this one is on Vancouver Road between Hurstbourne Rd & Carholme Rd & it is now driving me nuts.

We've recently moved to the road & on unloading the lorry I could here a dog barking continuously, (a Saturday afternoon). I said to the lady, "that sounds like a jack russell" & found it amusing.....at first.

I grew up with a Jack Russell at home. My parents are now on their 4th.
I know what they are like & I know that when it started barking in the garden, we got it inside asap so as not to annoy the neighbours. So I love Jacks, but allowing this one to bark away in the garden is not on. Kids & maybe some adults are trying to sleep, or for those with living rooms at the back of house watch tv, read a book etc.

Our bedroom is at the back of the house, so normally we aren't in there until later in the evening, by which time I'd imagine the pooch is inside quietly mini barking in it's sleep. But I've still some unpacking to do & within the space of 9.15pm to 10:15pm the dog has gone on a barking spree on 3 occasions.

I feel very sorry for any kids trying to sleep in the area.

A dog will generally only need to go out to go to the loo a couple of times in the evening. If the dog is being let out every time it waits at the back door, it only wants to get out there because it would actually prefer to be in the garden barking at noises, squirrels, hedgehogs, cats etc, & by letting the dog out to do just that isn't helping.

Obviously, once anyone gets a bee in their bonnet about anything, any occurrence can will make it flare up, but it also means the annoyed will start acknowledging when & for how long.

I fear that will now also be me.

orangeone

12-08-2010 09:30 AM

Initially I was not going to reply again to this thread as I felt that we had explained our situation and were taking steps to address the situation, which we do not want to inflame further. However in light of further comments, accusations and the notion from one poster that some how the health and wellbeing of our child warrents contacting social services (which is extreme to say the least!!) I am posting a further reply.

As noted above, now that we are aware that our dog is barking to the extent it bothers others (i.e. A complaint has been raised, although not by our direct neighbours who have children), we have taken steps to address the problem and apologise for any distress caused. This includes:

1. Shutting his dog door at night, and going outside with him on one or two occassions only to allow him to urinate. Of course, even on these occassions the dog will bark, although we are trying to train him to not do this either then or at other times of the day (however, please appreciate that he is a dog though, so he may take some time to train and may still bark a bit!).

2. He is NEVER left alone for long periods and in fact we were away this weekend (with dog), so it appears that there are other dogs in the area. Indeed one evening this week we heard a dog barking outside whilst our dog was curled up asleep on the sofa. If we knew the number of the house of the orginal complaint, we would have brought him round to their house at that time to prove it! Walking our dog in the local area, we have meet many other dog owners.

Consequently, we sincerely hope that our dog doesn't start getting blamed for any dog noise in this part of SE23. Whilst we do appreciate that a dog barking excessively is annoying (and have / are taking steps to address this problem), we think that those individuals expecting to live in South London, one road off from the South Circular should appreciate that they are unlikely to have silent evenings what with sirens, foxes, traffic, neighbours parties or music etc etc. We therefore hope that fellow se23 forum posters will not be so judgemental in their comments in the future and we hope that this matter can either be laid to rest or that individuals with concerns can address this in a friendly manner (we are friendly dog loving people!!) with us in person, rather than posting extreme or negative comments within the safety of an anonymous Internet forum.....

Snazy

12-08-2010 01:29 PM

As the owner has now posted on here, maybe it would be prudent for all the affected people to PM eachother and the owner and arrange a little meeting to maybe resolve the issue?
Im sure a little human interaction will go a long way. Thumbup

Elizabeth25

12-08-2010 02:01 PM

I agree Snazy. This seems to be a dispute between two neighbors. A coffee chat, off line, between parties is probably needed (failing that maybe a dog muzzle and ear plugs for both parties! Laugh)

Merlin

12-08-2010 04:16 PM

I think it is really unfair to make such sweeping judgements about people and to have the audacity to suggest someone sounds ignorant based on a post that is nothing of the sort. Mad

The social services comment is way out of line, bullied parents are not good for babies either so back off and be neighbourly or nothing.

Lots of stress floating about and it's important to calm down a bit and realise you potentially have years ahead as neighbours and you don't want to say things you will regret in the long run. Looks like the owners are trying their best. I was going to PM them but thought not keeping my view/support 'secret' was better.

This is not Jim Dowd's dog Piglet!

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields