SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
What county was Forest Hill once in? (Long long ago)
ukulele_lady

29-07-2010 05:50 AM

I was wondering what county Forest Hill used to be in? (If in one at all!)

I would presume it's not always been in London. The obvious choices would be Kent or Surrey. I am convinced it must have been Surrey as I'm sure Croydon used to be in Surrey once upon a time. My other half reckons it was once in Kent (his logic being that we're in the borough of Lewisham, which is near to Sidcup, which is in Kent... tenuous I feel!)

Please help me settle this dinner table debate! (and please let me be right! Wink !)

Cheerio

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

29-07-2010 07:24 AM

My house, on the very border of Forest Hill and Sydenham, was in Kent on the original mortgage deeds. Beckenham is in Kent.

But was 'London' ever in a county other that London?

ForestHillier

29-07-2010 07:27 AM

Croydon was in Surrey and so was Thornton Heath many years ago, I also believe that Morden was also in Surrey, not so sure about FH, at a guess, I would go for Kent, just tried google and it did state Kent, maybe others on here know better

rshdunlop

29-07-2010 07:28 AM

Oh, and Croydon still is in Surrey! Many London boroughs outside the central zone are in counties other than Greater London.

ForestHillier

29-07-2010 08:51 AM

Oh, thanks !!

TheEmbryo

29-07-2010 10:56 AM

Croydon has not been part of Surrey since 1965: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Government_Act_1963

Baboonery

29-07-2010 11:18 AM

I've often wondered this - what was the boundary between traditional Surrey and traditional Kent. I read an entry in the DNB the other day that referred to the subject dying in the 1960s at "Longton Avenue, Sydenham, Kent" (quite far west), and Sydenham CC used to play in the Kent league before merging with Beckenham, so that's a big clue.

Further north I understand the line was the old boundary between the parishes of Camberwell and Lewisham, but I've never seen it on a map, though I'm told the border between the boroughs of Southwark and Lewisham does not correspond. Anyone got any better information?

Perryman

29-07-2010 11:21 AM

The old boundary between kent and surrey ran through se23, (a line from the oak of honor, horniman drive, back of the museum, and eliot bank).

The southwark lewisham boundary is now along wood vale, so just maybe, before we were eaten by greater london, there was a time when all of se23 was in kent.

PS why on earth is this thread in 'beyond se23'?

Baboonery

29-07-2010 11:23 AM

Thanks Perryman. Thought that might be the case, given 'Surrey Mount'...

ForestHillier

29-07-2010 12:05 PM

Thanks Perryman - would have no idea why it is on the beyond se23 forum

Very informative - did have a feeling that Croydon was no longer in Surrey, yet did not want to get shoot down in flames, maybe I should have chceked out like your goodself

rshdunlop

29-07-2010 12:28 PM

I stand corrected about Croydon! I'm surprised, though, because many of the towns on the outskirts of London still have their counties in their postal addresses - Morden (Surrey), Harrow (Middlesex), Bromley (Kent). If you look up Beckenham online, it's always listed as being in Kent, and that's only a few miles south of here. I wonder if there is a difference between the formal county boundaries and what the post office recognises for addresses.

ukulele_lady

29-07-2010 02:06 PM

Hello Perryman
The post is in beyond SE23 as I typed it in the wrong Forum section and didn't realise till too late! Sorry Sad
Thanks for the answers so far one and all Smile

brian

29-07-2010 07:39 PM

Perryman as usual correct.

Forest was part of Kent until the 1880's. If you look in the graveyard of Christchurch then older graves refer to Kent.

All South London was part of Surrey or Kent.

Bermondsey was Surrey , Deptford Kent.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields