SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Burglaries in flats
Applespider

14-01-2008 12:35 AM

I came home on Thursday evening to find my flat's door had been forced open through a decent mortice and London bar and that I was now missing several items. I'm typing this on an iPod Touch since the thieves got both my computers. I'm insured and hopefully shouldn't end up being more than inconvenienced.

The police did mention though that there has been a spate of this kind of break in over the last few months. I'm on the Southwark side of Wood Vale and the said that it had started in East Dulwich (there's another thing we don't want) and seemed to be moving along Lordship Lane etc. Modus operandus is to try to get into a communal hallway of a converted house since in many non-purposebuilt flats, it's a simple Yale lock they can jimmy open. Then they have time inside in an empty house to force open doors. They managed to do 2 of the 3 starting at the top, before, we think, hearing the ground floor returning and leaving.

Would urge anyone living in a converted house to ensure you lock outside door with mortice lock rather than just a Yale. And to make sure you have a computer back up and that it is not sitting next to your computer. While my most recent backup was nicked, I was lucky in having an older one.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bigbadwolf

14-01-2008 01:16 PM

sorry to hear about your break in applespider and hope you get over it soon. I was having a cigarette outside my house in the early hour of this morning and the police turned up and checked me out to see if I lived there or was up to no good. When I proved I did live there they said they were on the lookout for a gang of house breakers who target non purpose built flats. There have also been a few break ins on thorpewood avenue but they're stealing car keys. stay alert fh.

FH1

14-01-2008 02:19 PM

Just wanted to echo the be careful message. The block I live in was recently burgled as well.

I think this gang are purely opportunists preying on weak doors and inadequte locks etc - makes sense as most older properties dont have modern deadlocks etc. If anyone is worried it might just be worth having an extra dead lock fitted above your current lock. I reckon it will put these types off trying.

Good news that the police are aware of it make me feel a lot better about things.

Applespider

14-01-2008 05:31 PM

A little in the spirit of 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted', I'm considering getting an alarm fitted in case the little s*ds come back once all the stuff has been replaced - the new doors/locks will be in place later in the week too.

Anyone got any recommendations for getting an alarm fitted. Only one entry door and three rooms worth covering...

Thanks

Sherwood

14-01-2008 05:42 PM

As you live in a flat, a burglar alarm should be quite simple. You obviously need the entry door protected with a contact switch and one or two sensors - i suggest in the entrance hall and protecting your computer equipment.
A colleague at work had an alarm installed that telephones his mobile telephone if it is activated.
Will anyone hear the alarm or take any notice of it?

I think you probably should increase physical security first.
Consider an additional mortice lock on your front door or possibly an iron gate/security door. Sometimes this is the only way to stop burglaries.

robwinton

14-01-2008 05:49 PM

Applespider wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations for getting an alarm fitted. Only one entry door and three rooms worth covering...

Thanks

PM sent with a reccomendation

Forest Hill SNT

14-01-2008 06:26 PM

Forest Hill Safer Neighbourhood Team offer a free security survey which is intended to highlight any weaknesses in home security. It takes about fifteen minutes and can be done at a time that is suitable for you. To arrange this either e-mail ForestHill.SNT@met.police.uk or call 02087212723.

Applespider

14-01-2008 11:14 PM

I fall into the College SNT who have already been round to set up an appointment with their CPO but thanks for the suggestion. They've also provided a UV pen and warning stickers etc. Have been quite impressed with response.

The physical security upgrade is already in hand. New and extra lock on the communal door tomorrow and new personal door with an additional 7 lever mortice lock to make it 2 mortices plus a Yale is already ordered. Oh yes and a reinforced London bar since the current one is all bent out of shape.

Thanks for the PM, Rob. I'll check it out.

Sherwood

14-01-2008 11:20 PM

I don't use a London bar. My uncle gave me an iron bar, which I reinforced the doorframe with. It took a lot of work, but I followed his design as he told me it was impossible to force the door if I did.

nevermodern

15-01-2008 01:06 AM

The locksmith I went to recommended hinge bolts, too, to reinforce the door further.

Sherwood

15-01-2008 11:05 AM

Hinge bolts are a good idea.
I have also added extra hinges.

nevermodern

15-01-2008 11:24 AM

Oh, and kick plates - the locksmith said that most burglars just don't bother trying when they see them fitted on front doors.

Applespider

15-01-2008 12:33 PM

nevermodern wrote:
The locksmith I went to recommended hinge bolts, too, to reinforce the door further.

I'm pretty sure that's what my locksmith has ordered for me with the new frame and door. Will check and ask about the kickplates though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Forest Hill SNT

15-01-2008 01:07 PM

Im pleased you are happy with the response from the SNT in your ward. The offer is open to anyone who would like ideas on bolstering home security.

BarCar

15-01-2008 06:38 PM

Applespider wrote:

I've recently had a series of quotes from local and national firms for an alarm system and have just decided to go the DIY route. Partly because of the costs (both installation and ongoing maintenance) and partly because of the lack of insurance discount for a professionally installed system.

The DIY system I've selected is less than half the cost of the cheapest professional system and is the exact same system which one of them proposed to install. It can be easily installed with basic DIY skills and will call up to 4 phone numbers as well as sounding an alert at the property when triggered. These numbers can be your mobiles or friends and family with keys. It's easily expandable and wireless except for power and phone lines.

I won't post details of the exact system here in case in breaks forum rules. PM me if you want to know more details.

Forest Hill SNT

15-01-2008 07:03 PM

Were you aware that being a member of your local neighbourhood watch group could get you a discount on your home insurance?
contact us if you would like to join your local group or would be interested in setting a new one up in your area.

BarCar

16-01-2008 12:50 PM

Forest Hill SNT wrote:
Forest Hill Safer Neighbourhood Team offer a free security survey which is intended to highlight any weaknesses in home security. It takes about fifteen minutes and can be done at a time that is suitable for you. To arrange this either e-mail ForestHill.SNT@met.police.uk or call 02087212723.

Crofton Park SNT appear to only offer this sort of help if you've actually been burgled however as a non-victim (touch wood) they did offer to hook me up with the local crime prevention officer for advice on how to stay that way. Seems like it's mostly common sense stuff anyway (along with spending hundreds of quid at the locksmiths). They reassured me that Crofton Park is one of the quieter wards in Lewisham.

nevermodern wrote:
Oh, and kick plates - the locksmith said that most burglars just don't bother trying when they see them fitted on front doors.

I'm curious as to why burglars would avoid kick plates. I'd always assumed they were a cosmetic thing. Do they really strengthen a door that much or is this the locksmith's cash register talking?

Forest Hill SNT wrote:
contact us if you would like to join your local group or would be interested in setting a new one up in your area.

I've heard rumour of an existing Neighbourhood watch scheme in Crofton Park ward. Anybody know anything about it?

Ghis

16-01-2008 02:37 PM

BarCar wrote:
I've heard rumour of an existing Neighbourhood watch scheme in Crofton Park ward. Anybody know anything about it?

I am in the K.I.N Scheme:
http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=130

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields