SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
parakeets
bigbadwolf

15-01-2008 04:59 PM

I know that they live in other parts of london but I've started noticeing them in forest hill over the last week and would like to know if anyone can identify which variety they are. I've been told they are green parakeets but they're often too high up to identify their colour.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
grahamw

15-01-2008 05:49 PM

I think they're green parakeets;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3869815.stm

We see them quite often now - we live next to Horniman Gardens.. They're also in Dulwich / Sydenham woods! I like having them around.. v noisy though.

nevermodern

15-01-2008 05:54 PM
nevermodern

15-01-2008 05:56 PM

Actually, there's loads of old entries in on the forum...it's been a popular subject Smile Do a search in the archive if you're interested, BigBad Smile

Theotherbrian

15-01-2008 06:11 PM

In reply to Bigbadwolf, they've been here for a few years. Last winter, they were regulars on our bird feeders, although this year they haven't visited but they are very much in the area - hear their melodious song every day! Yes, they are bright green with a blueish tint and they have bright red/pink beaks. The males have a ring on their necks. (Photo attached) They are very entertaining as they shuffle sideways on branches and hang off things with their beaks. They also harass the squirrels to get off the peanuts by squawking and flapping their wings - seems to work too!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields