SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Ridiculous Doctors Catchment areas
ukulele_lady

26-07-2010 08:40 AM

I am so annoyed and confused by the Doctors "catchment areas" around this area... it's taken me half an hour and a tonne of phone calls to locate a surgery that will accept me (I'm on Taymount Rise).

I called the enquiry number who gave me 3 surgeries who should have "definately" accepted me ... none of them did. Each of these surgeries recommened another one, all of which did not accept me.
I have eventually found a surgery that will take me on, that's not even in Forest Hill, and further away than the ones who have rejected me.

Has anyone else had this problem? And does anyone know if there is anywhere I can write to to complain?

Cursing

Thanks

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ryananglem

26-07-2010 09:10 AM

Ive had the same problem, and ended up with a Doctor in Sydenham! Mostly it was because they couldnt find my address on their map (I had moved into a new development) and couldnt reconcile that with the address list they had as it was most likey not updated with my address. Stupid really, it meant that someone living about 20metres away from me and further from the surgery was on the list, but I wasnt!

Baboonery

26-07-2010 09:31 AM

Yep. I live above FH Boots, give or take a door or two, and when I registered I discovered that the only surgery in whose catchment I fell was the 1970s throwback by the station in Sydenham. Absurd. I don't think it's too much to ask for the best way to my GP not to be by train.

Snazy

26-07-2010 09:41 AM

lol that "70's throwback" has been looking after me and my family for 35 years and seems to do a pretty good job. Dont judge a book by its cover as they say.
Does seem a bit wierd having so much trouble trying to get registered at a GP though. Having never had to i cant share the experience, but hope the GP you all; end up with serves you well, and that you rarely need to visit there Thumbup

ForestHillier

26-07-2010 10:08 AM

Hi Ukulele lady

I live near you - The Park, cut through the garden from Taymount Rise, we had the same problem we moved in [ some 28 years ago ], we were told that the only one we could have was The Jenner Centre which is half way to Catford

spud

26-07-2010 10:46 AM

I'd have been quite happy with the Jenner Health Centre because I live a short walk away. But I've ended up at the surgery halfway down Brockley Road. That doesn't seem logical if other users are having to schlep to the Jenner Health Centre from miles away! Either the catchment areas are really eccentric or there must be some kind of quota principle at work as well.

ForestHillier

26-07-2010 12:16 PM

Spud - we are more than happy with it, I think it was because back in 1982, it was the only doctors in FH

Baboonery

26-07-2010 02:01 PM

Snazy, you're the first person I've ever heard with a good word to say about the place! I was there a lot not long after I moved in, but thankfully only once recently. The comments on it on the NHS Find a GP site are quite telling.

ukulele_lady

26-07-2010 02:24 PM

Hi ForesetHillier... The Jenner refused me! Which makes me think are these Catchment areas for real or dependent upon the receptionists mood when you phone?! (only kidding, but it is odd)

ForestHillier

26-07-2010 02:32 PM

Hi Ukulele Lady - very odd, however it was 28 years ago that we joined, when FH was probally less populated

BT

26-07-2010 03:15 PM

We lived on Taymount Rise for over 30 years and were registered with the Jenner. The Jenner was amalgamated from a number of separate surgeries around the area when it was built, with the result that surgeries actually in FH disappeared and were concentrated at the Jenner, which is why there are few now actually in FH itself. I'm surprised that they wouldn't accept you, although their lists were always very full and perhaps that was the reason.

Snazy

26-07-2010 03:21 PM

Do you have a link to the said site at all please Baboonery.
Its very cheap looking, but Dr Morant has been my GP for probably 20+ years now, and now I use a couple of the doctors in there. never had a problem.
They have been faultless with post op matters, referrals, and other matters. So for someone who has used them for over 30 years, I dont have a bad word to say, other than a facelift would be nice for the place.

Snazy

26-07-2010 03:49 PM

Found it now.
To be fair, I cant find many surgeries on there with many more than 2 recommendations, hardly a decent review. Remembering you are about 10 or 20 times more likely to write a letter or email of complaint, than one singing praises.

Like I say, from personal experience I find them great there. Most of the complaints can be understood, and frustrations shared, but I have never had a problem getting an appointment, always had good service and been well looked after by the GP's and nurses, and in general find the reception staff great. Do get some serious wierdo patients in there, prob a few of them wrote the reviews lol.

Like I say though, an overhaul for the place would be lovely. If you think it is poor now, you should have seen it before the building collapse! lol

Baboonery

26-07-2010 05:32 PM

What I don't understand is why we're not allowed to see these catchment areas. It'd make things so much easier in a non-transparent area such as this. How am I meant to know which one of the six nearest surgeries to me covers my address? Particularly when it notably isn't 1, 2 or 3?

dovetail

26-07-2010 08:12 PM

I was left GP-less after being "purged" from my former GP's patient list several years after I moved to Forest Hill and had a devil of a time trying to get any practice in Forest Hill to accept me.

I called Perry Vale Medical Centre on the telephone and was informed that I was outside the catchment area despite the fact that my housemate was registered with them! When I went to the centre a couple of months later, they let me register straightaway - no problems. I suspect that there may have been a policy to discourage callers and this is not uncommon with the popular practices. It might be worthwhile just turning up - it certainly worked for me.

rymerster

27-07-2010 12:19 AM

We're on Honor Oak Road, registered with Jenner and had appointments booked, but then received a call from the receptionist telling us we'd have to find another surgery Mad and that we should contact NHS Direct for advice (who said we should insist on joining a practice but that we couldn't go back to the Jenner). Now we're over the border at the Lordship Lane Surgery - which is further away, in a different borough.

michael

27-07-2010 10:03 AM

Never tell your doctor that you have moved house. I as registered with the Jenner 30 years ago living in the street that I have now moved back to. However I know that if I told them where I live, they would banish me to Wells Park or Southwark.

Forest Hill is poorly served by GPs, one of the worst places in Inner London - and I have an NHS map somewhere that proves this.

It is time that the NHS recognised that there is a shortage of GPs in the Forest Hill area and I am willing to provide them with a list of suitable properties for conversion to a GP surgery (starting with an Ambulance station that is the only NHS service in Forest Hill ward).

michael

27-07-2010 10:10 AM

I found the map:
http://www.healthyurbandevelopment.nhs.u...Report.pdf

On page 7, figure 5d Forest Hill is the only pink patch in Inner London other than the heart of the City (and possibly the Thames Barrier and Pentonville Prison).

ForestHillier

27-07-2010 10:20 AM

Agree with you Michael, FH is very poorly served with local GPS

brian

27-07-2010 10:36 AM

When in Devonshire had to go to The Vale Surgery,

Nice Surgery but at least 15 mins fast walk.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Catchment areas for primary schools in SE23 for September 2015 Reception OakR 2 5,569 02-05-2015 12:32 PM
Last Post: OakR
  School catchment areas again! Pipanova 8 13,289 06-02-2014 12:11 PM
Last Post: mrwandle
  List of primary school catchment areas hoona 17 23,134 21-10-2013 01:47 PM
Last Post: daveherne