SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Poll: Do you object to this application for Planning Permission?
This poll is closed.
Yes 69.23% 18 69.23%
No 30.77% 8 30.77%
Total 26 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Threat to Conservation Area
Teresa

16-01-2008 11:29 PM

Cellar Door wrote:
I have enjoyed reading IWereAbsolutelyFuming's thoughtful observations on this thread about this planning application.

One point that I felt I resonated with is "...that people should make their own, informed decisions (one way or the other) rather than just offering a basic, well-meaning objection...".
Alas, this is an action that I have done in the past. And I appreciate the reminder now that we should raise our awareness a little on this approach.

I also pass on my best wishes to Teresa with her endeavours to petition this planning application.

Thank you for your good wishes. I have been surpised and saddened that people on the SE23.com website have not been more supportive about a large development on Manor Mount. Maybe some of them are developers and so it is not in their interest to support me. I am all for looking at something before signing up to it and this is why I put the details on the site. However, whatever people think of the details it still remains an application for a huge development which none of the people on the road want and I had hoped that this website would be more supportive of its neighbours. The Planning Officers I spoke to both this time and for the previous application are dismayed that the application for No 3 ever went through because it has caused an enormous amount of problems. This development is even larger and could cause even more problems. There have been some very good developments and interesting new buildings in Forest Hill but I do not think this is one of them.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
baggydave

16-01-2008 11:36 PM

BD asked for support from this site sometime ago after Lewisham granted permission for a house on the posh estate to double in size. The plans seemed to flout all of Lewisham's very useful planning guidelines, Urban doobrie plan etc, and as the owners had not put out their yellow notice (which is not compulsory) I had missed it. Unfortunately others who had been informed had not been bothered to do anything about it and hence it had not gone to committee. BD believes that Lewisham are very inconsistent in how they apply planning law, which may be in some respect due to lack of resources. If your look around Horniman Heights you see a right mish mash of what BD considers ugly extensions - spoiling the vista and the character of the area. And of course once one has gone up a precedent has been set. The Horniman Heights residents association, aka Tewkesbury Lodge Association, had quite an amusing mock photo of an overdeveloped house, but it was actually quite similar to one in our area. There are also some interesting designs, but perhaps in the wrong area. Another enormous 'makeover' is being resisted by a number of residents.

BD believes that if you overdevelop a property, it is couterproductive, in that it is a waste of your money as you don't get the investment return and if you have 2 or 3 hundred k to spend then move to a bigger even posher place rather than blight our area. But he would also be interested in those with grandoise plans.

He enjoys walking up Manor Mount, in part to play chicken with the cars bombing down the hill going down the one way street in the wrong direction, but also because he quite likes some of the houses and it is intersting archtectural styles.

BD now spends most of his time ranting at Soutwalk about the state of their roads, but is happy to lend a hand on his own patch.

BD - always there when you need him

baggydave

16-01-2008 11:39 PM

Sorry I meant Southwark, but I assume this was derrived from South Walk.

Teresa

17-01-2008 12:00 AM

Baggydave
Thank you for your very kind and funny reply. Humour is so important and thank Goodness for the Hob!! Yes.. the cars going the wrong way are always a problem!

I lived in Dulwich before I got divorced but I would not give up Manor Mount for Dulwich now. I love it here. There is something so exhilarating about living on top of such a high hill, and the trees are so tall and a lot of the houses are so beautiful. There are so many different breeds of birds. On a hot day looking up at the trees with parrots flying overhead it almost seems like I'm in Asia!! Most of the people I have met here are lovely, even the check out girls in Sainsburys bother to chat and I am so fond of the red cross shop. Forest Hill is a place with so much potential, especially with the underground coming. But in the rush to take advantage of this it would be such a shame to spoil the things we have that are good. If developers really want to make some money and do something for the community there are lots of empty shops that need doing up. The station is a large space and could be turned into a little market square with shops. With all the new flats going up we are all going to need more shops and restaurants. Even if I didn't live in manor Mount I would ant to protect it.

Teresa

17-01-2008 12:04 AM

And Baggy I am sorry people were not there for you when you needed them.

steveb

18-01-2008 06:18 PM

I presume the Forest Hill Society will be putting in an objection to this development?

Teresa

18-01-2008 10:28 PM

steveb wrote:
I presume the Forest Hill Society will be putting in an objection to this development?

i have emailed them but they haven't replied yet.

i have not heard back from any of the councilors i contacted either.

bigbadwolf

18-01-2008 10:50 PM

Teresa,

Encouraged by your intelligent and ferocious defence of the conservation area as it would be a shame to loose it. You have the wolfs support because as stated the it wouldn't sit well next too the coach house, architectually that is. Also have you seen the drawings yet. Also can anyone tell me why it's called one and a half manor mount.

Good luck in your campaign.

Teresa

19-01-2008 12:34 PM

bigbadwolf wrote:
Teresa,

Encouraged by your intelligent and ferocious defence of the conservation area as it would be a shame to loose it. You have the wolfs support because as stated the it wouldn't sit well next too the coach house, architectually that is. Also have you seen the drawings yet. Also can anyone tell me why it's called one and a half manor mount.

Good luck in your campaign.

Dear Mr Wolf

Thank you for showing your white teeth in support. Yes, I have seen the drawings and read all the information on the planning site. They are very misleading and ambiguous and have not included my property in many of the elevations or plans, which would appear to be deliberate.

The owner of no 1 is a barrister and not a developer - it is going to be hard for me because he is trained to win arguments.

I don't know why my house is 1 1/2, it may be because it is a coach house and was built later than the big house next to me on Honour Oak Road, to house coaches. Apparently there are still cobbles under the sitting room floor where the coach used to stand and you can still see the large archway over the front window which would have been the doorway for the coach. There is no fireplace downstairs because the coachman would have lived upstairs. There is still a door on the first floor which is used as a window but would have been where the hay was stored.There are also a number of other 1/2 houses on the road. It does cause a lot of problems with computer systems but I quite like it because it is rather quirky!

Well I had better get going -
Off to the woods to grandmother's house

Thank you Mr Wolf

nevermodern

19-01-2008 12:36 PM

Are we witnessing the start of something beautiful here? Smile

michael

19-01-2008 08:41 PM

It is interesting comparing this proposed development with the previous proposal which was rejected by the planning officers in June: http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XSL...mkey=50251

It is difficult to see how there is a substantial difference between this application and the new application.

bigbadwolf

19-01-2008 09:17 PM

Teresa

Has the owner consulted an engineer on the designs because looking at the gradiant of manor mount and the proposed site the foundations will need to be under-pined and bonded which will add to their budget considerably. And if they choose a re-inforced concrete slab, which is better than trench foundations because they last longer the setting of said concrete and final pressure on the ground which is on a gradient of about 35-40 degree's will cause 'up-slip' shifting the earth in the direction of your foundations, and destroying them over time not to mention the ancient utilities. Also the delivery of materials to the site will be a logistical nightmare on a one way road and a busy road such as honor oak rd. Something the council may want to consider before giving the go ahead.

Teresa

19-01-2008 09:25 PM

bigbadwolf wrote:
Teresa

Has the owner consulted an engineer on the designs because looking at the gradiant of manor mount and the proposed site the foundations will need to be under-pined and bonded which will add to their budget considerably. And if they choose a re-inforced concrete slab, which is better than trench foundations because they last longer the setting of said concrete and final pressure on the ground which is on a gradient of about 35-40 degree's will cause 'up-slip' shifting the earth in the direction of your foundations, and destroying them over time not to mention the ancient utilities. Also the delivery of materials to the site will be a logistical nightmare on a one way road and a busy road such as honor oak rd. Something the council may want to consider before giving the go ahead.

I have no idea who the owner of No 1 consulted because he has never spoken to me about any of this. When I moved in I went and made friends with him and his wife, he never mentioned anything about his plans. All he told me about was the extension to the house next door which had caused subsidence to his home. I have not seen him since receiving the first planning application last year.

Your points are very good. Let us hope it never comes to that!

NewForester

19-02-2008 01:23 PM

Congratulations! I see that the application received 9 objectors and 2 petitions, resulting in the application being withdrawn.

Round two to you Smile I fear, however that this is not the end of the matter.

brian

19-02-2008 02:36 PM

We have to fight any devolpments of so called brownfield sites ( actually gardens ). Do they want a million people in Lewisham. Enough is enough. The area is only tolerable because of the green areas.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Proposed Conservation Area: Perry Vale ‘Christmas’ houses and further north blushingsnail 2 4,560 25-10-2018 05:13 PM
Last Post: StuartG
  Conservation area extension petersutton01 3 5,853 17-08-2010 08:05 PM
Last Post: davidwhiting
  Conservation Area baggydave 52 57,947 15-10-2009 05:17 PM
Last Post: jacksprat
  Conservation area breaches loca 20 24,245 21-04-2009 11:46 AM
Last Post: brian
  Conservation area, planning and ... the pools? ForestGump 3 5,697 17-06-2008 01:36 PM
Last Post: NewForester