SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Why is it called overground?
rbmartin

12-09-2010 10:50 AM

The majority of LU is overground though!

We should be lucky that we get the best of both worlds, being part of TfL and National Rail.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

13-09-2010 08:04 PM

Shame it doesn't go to Wimbledon Common:

All together now, "Underground, overground ...." Rofl

davhel52

13-09-2010 08:11 PM

Ive have a feeling that one day it may go to wimbledon.

Gep

26-01-2012 12:44 PM

@BnV: although you can get out of the turnstiles with your overground rail ticket, you are not supposed to travel on the overground line with an overground rail ticket, so if there is a ticket inspector on board you could get fined.
Unless he's an overground rail ticket inspector, in that case he's probably got the wrong train himself Smile

Tersie

26-01-2012 04:47 PM

Well all my friends and I affectionately call it "The Ginger line" or the Ginge Smile I think it is really confusing calling it the London Overground - all of my overseas guests have been really confused by that too.

sydenhamcentral

26-01-2012 07:53 PM

Lots of names and words dont make sense if you think about them too much. Why is a fender of a car called a wing or the trunk a boot? (they were the names now used in the USA first before we changed them). Why is the district line so called. I drove past a high density housing project today that is being knocked down to be replaced by another slightly different high density housing project with modern hi-rise blocks. The name? Kidbrooke Village. It's about as far removed from being an actual village as humanly possible.

People call the underground lots of different names. The tube, underground, metro, etc. You cant stop it, they will call it what they call it.

Fish Face

27-01-2012 02:01 PM

I think the point is that 'overground' is a word already in use for a different train service.
So it is confusing.

Joffe

27-01-2012 02:33 PM

Me: Which train did you come on?
Dad: The overground
Me: Oh, I'd have come through London Bridge if I were you.
Dad: I did.
Me: Oh, so you did come on National Rail.
Dad: Yeah, that's what I said, the overground.
Me: (Give up).

On the way home:
Dad: Whcih way do you think I should go?
Me: I'd go on the Overground.
Dad: What, not go via Canada Water.
Me: Sigh.

The fact that much of the Underground goes overground makes it nonsense to call the Overground the Underground. To all intents and purposes and (crucially in my view) for ticketing, the Overground acts like a tube line and should be considered as such.

SEN

27-01-2012 08:22 PM

As it also covers south west and west London, I think previous posts aren't ambitious enough. How about EllSellWellNell? No? At least it would be consistent, which is more than TfL can manage.

Time for a rant. TFL text alerts are a great idea but...they don't realise the Overground has happened. When you try to set up alerts, it appears the East London line is all there is. Oh, and (sorry!) Forest Hill doesn't exist at all. When changing to Hammersmith and City line recently, I even heard an announcer refer repeatedly to East London Line delays. Perhaps delays are still going on, despite ELL having closed years ago, and there's a haunted train stuck in a siding near New Cross, full of zombie commuters waiting for signal upgrades.

And finally...what's the point of telling us there are "delays on the Overground" when it's affecting Richmond, Imperial Wharf etc. Perhaps Ken or Boris could edge the election by promising to rename our branch the Forest Hill Line...Thumbsup

This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 08:23 PM by SEN.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields