SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Car 'accident'
Merlin

18-07-2010 09:15 AM

Driving along Devonshire road on Thursday evening my car wing mirror was clipped by a van travelling in the opposite direction. I stopped my car to have a look at the damage and was relieved to see it was minor. As a burly man approached me from the van I smiled and said 'it's ok, it is just a scratch - don't worry about it' at which point he began shouting that I had smashed his mirror (which he had in his hand) I told him not to be ridiculous as he had hit me - as he showed me the mirror I noticed that it was badly cracked, but it was clear that the cracks were older than me! He asked me for money to pay for it and I said we needed to call the police to settle this - he then began to haggle and got down to £8 as an acceptable amount (I still refused) he and his friend were quite intimidating but as a South London girl I stood my ground and eventually they left me alone (when I suggested they might want to follow me to a police station to swap details they seemed to lose interest)

Just a warning for any lone female drivers out there......

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rshdunlop

18-07-2010 09:30 AM

Thanks for the heads up - a nice little scam there, and no mistake. And well done for keeping your cool.

roz

18-07-2010 10:25 PM

Indeed, however I have experienced a similar situation with a London bus a few weeks ago, the driver of which appears intent on getting us to pay for having his bus repainted for minor scratches which were actually his fault-so extortion can be 'professional' as well!

Good for you in keeping your cool. I probably would have just got back in the car and driven off.

Merlin

19-07-2010 07:34 AM

Working with 49 16-21 year olds I'm used to being gobsmacked on a regular basis - but I was just totally stunned by this mirror he was waving at me, the damage was a clear contender for antiques road show!
Thanks for the tip off about the bus, a lot of people tend to drive quite aggressively in larger vehicles Sad

Satchers

19-07-2010 08:04 AM

I think the problem with bus drivers is that they can lose their job if they have more than a couple of minor accidents where they can't demonstrate someone else is to blame?

Snazy

19-07-2010 09:37 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience.
Do you have a better description of the van at all, maybe even a year of the reg? Just to I can pass it on to the other half to look out for.

Amazing what lengths people will go to to extort money from people.
Glad you stood your ground.
Word of advice to anyone experiencing such a thing, and getting intimidated by it.... Take the person up on the suggestion and call the police, this person needs stopping, as does anyone trying this.

Once again, glad you are ok Merlin.

ForestHillier

19-07-2010 09:56 AM

Merlin - you have my full admiration for standing your ground and not losing control, this is indeed a very worrying new thing to hit us, I know I for one properly would have eiher got back in the car and drive off or lost control and agreed with them which is probally what they want, so they can use it if the police did turn up

A few years back, I was turning right at Dulwich Common to go up towards Forest Hill and a van that was turning left ripped my passenger wing mirror right off, they just sped off without stopping

Merlin

20-07-2010 07:58 AM

Sorry to hear about other peoples experiences.
I think I initially stopped because I wanted to check the damage and then I stayed because I was so stunned by the antique mirror and the total cheek of them. The van was blue and white, a 'Merit' or 'Marit'.
The older guy (Mid 50's ish) was more vocal than the younger one who just stared a lot. I think I was also concerned that I was close to home and they might follow me - which was silly of me really considering he bartered himself down to under a tenner so it would hardly have been worth the petrol!
I didn't want my initial post to be too long, but I did call the police and was informed they don't come out (I even asked for a PCSO instead) the man kept saying 'why do you want to do that' I said because you are claiming I've hit you and I didn't after speaking to the operator he apologised and admitted fault - I wished him a good day and went home to stroke the cat and marvel at another adventure in the wonderful world of Donna!

Merlin

20-07-2010 08:00 AM

oh, and the registration started with a V I think Snazy

Snazy

20-07-2010 01:45 PM

Cheers for the info, I hope its the last time you see him!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields