SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
what is it like to live in Honor Oak?
shell

11-07-2010 09:35 AM

Hi there

We are currently looking to buy property in the Honor Oak area close to the Honor Oak railway station. As we have just arrived from New Zealand we are not too familiar with the area and would love some feedback from locals on how they enjoy living in this part of Lonon. Is it good for young children, are there good pubs and cafes and restaurants? Any local supermarkets or hidden gems? Is there a good community feel and is it relatively safe?

Anything that you might be able to share with us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

11-07-2010 09:42 AM

Hi, welcome to the UK and to our sunny part of south London!

The list of places to go is endless so don't really know where to start apart from saying yes to all your questions! I've lived here for a long time and have never contemplated living anywhere else in London as its simply such a nice area.
Its fantastic for young children, there are lots to do and loads of parks, play areas, great schools, etc. I've never experienced any crime but I do know people who have. Muggings are still fairly rare but they do happen as to break ins and car thefts. Having said all I still feel relatively safe in this part of London. I think you'll be fine here.

Have a look at the various threads on this forum as you will probably find the answers within.

good luck

Ghis

12-07-2010 09:04 AM

Honor Oak is a great area. We started renting here 7 years ago and liked the area so much we decided to buy a house here 5 years ago. I have felt quite safe here, there is a good community feel with quite a few active groups who care about the area. The commuting is good with the new London overground links in addition to the train line to London Bridge. Since we moved here we have seen the parade of the shops near the station get nicer and nicer. I have lived in East London, North East London, North West London and Honor Oak is the place I have enjoyed living in the most because I felt it was more of a community. We speak with all our neighbours and the local shops owners and always recommend the area to people looking for family homes to buy. Check http://www.hopandbeyond.com for more pictures and info on the area.

Where in NZ are you from? My other half is from Auckland.

sami2

09-08-2010 10:55 AM

brilliant. Thank god estate agents don't run countries.
New properties in the Sudetenland in South East Germany....

To answer the question, it's a nice enough slice of suburban London. Transport links are good but not great (train very 10ish minutes, 11 minutes to london bridge, a smattreing of bus services). In fact think East Dulwich about 8 or 9 years ago.
up and coming? money is preading eastward to Honor Oak and Nunhead, Ladywell etc because prices are so ludicrous westward. clapham to balham to brixton to east dulwich and so on. I haven't managed the wrong ttrain from London Bridge for a few months now so I haven't seen if the high street is improving (or getting worse depending on your point of view).

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bebei

03-09-2010 07:45 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've just had an offer accepted on a house in Honor Oak, after renting in E. Dulwich for years.

We've visited a number of times and the the community feel, great schools and reasonable price tags swung it for us. Everytime we viewed a property, the neighbours always came out to introduce themselves!

The choice was between se23, se26 and se19 and we think we made the right decision. Could do with a good bakers in HOP though.

shzl400

03-09-2010 08:36 AM

Is the Betram Bakery not still going? It's just a little further along, across the traffic lights, on the "triangle".

ForestHillier

03-09-2010 10:13 AM

As Roz posted, there are a few muggings, break ins etc, yet for my money, Forest Hill/HOP and surrounds are without doubt, some of the best/safest places in London to live

mrcee

03-09-2010 10:20 AM

I moved here recently from north of the river and love the area, the shops etc. transport is about as good as it gets for south of the river, i am used to having multiple proper tube lines to choose from Smile however no complaints even though i still work north of the river.

I think its an area to move to!

ForestHillier

03-09-2010 01:27 PM

I do apologise as I live in FH and totally mis-read the heading of this one, silly me thought it was "whats it like to live in Forest Hill"

Now dont get me wrong, Ive been to HOP many times and it is a fine place to live and bring up a family, just like FH & surrounding area

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields