SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Punchathon
Davidsroadperson

10-07-2010 07:42 AM

The boxing club in David's Road is having a Punchathon at Lewisham People's Day today (Saturday) in Mountsfield Park.

Members of the public pay £2 and have a go at boxing. No violence! Just throwing punches at an instructor who is holding up pads. Pefectly safe and good fun. All to raise money for the club, which does really good work getting kids into boxing who might otherwise be getting into trouble.

It's a very well run, friendly club, so well worth supporting. I hope it goes really well today.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

11-07-2010 09:54 AM

My boring opinionated middle class self will probably show here but the words 'Lewisham Peoples Day' and 'Punchathon' are to many Lewisham folk one and same. Personally I think boxing should go the same way as fox hunting and horse racing (equally moronic; as is the useless concept of dressage but at least no blood is spilt) and should most definitely not be taught to kids.
Why not teach and promote the genuine martial arts instead which have considerable history and skill in their favour?

Red67

11-07-2010 01:32 PM

errm i think you'll find that there are plenty of references to the ancient Greeks and boxing as an Olympian sport (around 680BC) , and it's been part of the modern Olympics since the early 1900's.....or maybe that's not enough history for you eh?!

Mickey

14-07-2010 08:53 PM

Sounds great !

Poppy9560

15-07-2010 05:22 PM

I think martial arts are better than boxing Roz but if boxing gives kids some motivation and self discipline I am all for it - and I admire anyone willing to teach them- sooner them than me! Surely better for young people to be at a boxing club than hanging round the streets at risk of getting into trouble?

hillsideresident

15-07-2010 07:22 PM

The idea of Double Jab is to get kids off the streets and out of gangs. Their motto is "Jab, Don't Stab". How often does one see stories of kids stabbing each other and wish more was being done? David John, who runs the club, is doing something and I fully support him.

Of course boxing, especially professional boxing, is a violent sport, and of course that's part of its attraction for boys. But Double Jab is very well run and is a very safe place. Most of the members train but don't actually fight, although of those who do fight we have a few who are really good. It's a very friendly place and is not only popular with the kids but with the local residents. They need bigger premises and we will be very sorry when they eventually go.

The day was extremely successful. 170 people took part, mostly kids. Here are a few pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31016165@N00/

Ghis

15-07-2010 08:04 PM

Cool pictures.

hillsideresident

16-07-2010 09:08 AM

Thanks, Ghis - they were taken by John Russell, an excellent LibDem councillor until the elections. We lost a good man.

Also good pics at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31016165@N0...646141284/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris4syden...doublejab/

The first group from John and the second from Councillor Chris Best (Labour, Sydenham). Many thanks to both of them.

hillsideresident

01-11-2010 09:33 PM

DoubleJab Boxing Club of Forest Hill is inviting you to support their second Punchathon, a popular and effective anti-knife crime event.

This will be held in Lewisham Shopping Centre on 13 and 14 November:

Saturday 13th November 10:00 - 17:00
Sunday 14th November 11:00 - 15:00

Despite its successful work, the club is on a shoestring budget - if that - at the moment, and really needs support. So please come along and have a go in the ring, or buy a T-shirt, or both!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields