SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
356 Bus
Siegee

08-07-2010 08:32 AM

For those who use the 356 bus to Forest Hill Station, from Lower Sydenham, you may be interested to read this from TFL:- "Thank you for your email regarding our bus services in your area. I am sorry to hear that you feel the current bus stopping arrangements at Forest Hill Station cause inconvenience to customers using route 356, and results in customers having to cross a busy road to catch this bus.

Having looked into your comments in detail I am pleased to confirm that I have now been able to arrange for buses on route 356 to serve both the stop outside The Capitol Public House, and Forest Hill Station, in the same manner as route 185. We aim to introduce this service change by the beginning of September, and I trust that this news will be welcome to you.

I do hope that this proves to be satisfactory, and I would like to thank you for the feedback that you have provided on this occasion. Suggestions from our passengers are always considered, and we will act on the information provided to make positive changes to our network wherever possible.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blushingsnail

08-07-2010 10:19 AM

Well done for doing that. I had wondered why the 356 didn't stop at the station bus stop but it never occurred to me to ask TfL to change the stopping arrangements. I assumed there was some 'higher' reason why it couldn't be done, but obviously there wasn't!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbmartin

08-07-2010 07:43 PM

Fantastic news! I was thinking of suggesting that myself as passengers have got up to get off the bus outside the Estate Agents for them to have to walk back from the Capitol.

michael

09-07-2010 02:59 PM

I'm not sure when the change took place, but 356 is listed on the bus stops on both side of the road outside the Capitol.

I had previously tried to get the Perry Vale bus stop (opposite Christchurch school) moved closer to the station, but with no success. I have also suggested a countdown timer on the stop outside the Foresters, so that if you are walking home from the station towards Bell Green, you would know if the bus is just round the corner. But the countdown system is in high demand, so it is not on the list of proposed initial sites for countdown.

Thanks for your good work Siegee.

rbmartin

09-07-2010 03:29 PM

The 356 has always served the bus stop outside the Capitol, towards Shirley the stop is opposite Santander.

The change only affects journeys towards Upper Sydenham where an additional stop on the route will be from the bus stop outside the Estate Agents on Devonshire Road where the 122 and 185 currently stop at.

Currently it's a long gap between the stop outside Church Rise to the Capitol, missing FH station.

shzl400

09-07-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:
But the countdown system is in high demand, so it is not on the list of proposed initial sites for countdown.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they had cancelled the roll-out programme for countdown timers, in favour of an iphone app. Can anyone confirm? Personally, I'd ike to see countdown timers at every stop, especially for P4s.

rbmartin

09-07-2010 06:10 PM

I can't find the document right now, but the plan is to remove Countdown boards from some bus stops in the borough and replace them at others.

From what I saw, the Countdown board at Hornimans will go, but they'll go where they're most needed, such as the bus stops outside the Capitol for example.

The phone scheme will be a text message scheme where you text the number on the side of each bus stop which will in return give you real time bus data.

michael

09-07-2010 07:00 PM

The last I heard (in February) was this map

shzl400

09-07-2010 08:32 PM

What a shame the countdown sign outside the Horniman is going - I've been extremely grateful for it on more than one occasion.

michael

09-07-2010 09:02 PM

Well, according to the map there will be a countdown outside the Horniman but not opposite for London bound buses.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields