SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Council Cuts - a £60M taster
NewForester

06-07-2010 07:30 PM

Just come across this on Londonist

Quote:
Mayor Steve Bullock, re-elected on the back of a local Labour landslide, has said cuts will be the "worst in living memory". The council has to reduce spending by £60m over three years, which is £1 out of every £4 currently spent in the borough. Understandably, bloggers have been looking at the detail.

Alongside the sad and unsurprising job losses (aren't our social workers, et al, already massively overstretched?) are proposed cutbacks everyone will be able to see. There's outcry over the proposal to close five libraries. Blackheath, Crofton Park, Grove Park, New Cross and Sydenham are the ones under threat

Further details can be found in the Public Accounts Select Committee Report and on Sydenham Town

Hopefully the Pools are OK as they are being paid for out of the Capital, rather than Current programme.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewForester

06-07-2010 08:10 PM

A few more nuggets from Steve's interview with NewsShopper

Quote:
A handful of recommendations put forward by council officers:

- Close one of four early childhood centres out of Rushey Green, Honor Oak, Amersham and Ladywell. This, along with decreased budgets for the remaining three, could save up to £2,180,000 over three years.

- Cut the number of children social care work assistants (£140,000 over three years)

- Cut agency workers in the children's social care department (£655,000 over three years)

- Close up to five libraries and cut library staff (£830,000 over three years)

- Increase the charge for meals on wheels (£50,000 over three years)

- Stop the street litter recycling service (£168,000 over three years)

- Replace parking machines with a pay-over-the-phone system (£200,000 over three years)

- Reduce the size of the council's corporate estate - such as council offices (£1,000,000 over three years)

- Cut staff numbers in the information, communications technology department (£300,000 over three years)

roz

06-07-2010 09:18 PM

I don't understand the logic about the pools; the works spend is revenue but some subsidy/support is surely required to balance the books as I would not imagine this was a profit making venture. It would be good if I am wrong but...

Someone mentioned the Mayor. As I've stated before I have a lot of time for Steve Bullock but a business case for retention of this position and its associated costs is surely needed. Also surely we need to look afresh at allowances for Councillors; this is a fairly new concept- previously they worked for expenses and now I believe get around £6k per year, more if they hold more senior office. When we've done away with all that perhaps its time to have a look at the rest..

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lewisham council sets out second round of budget cuts proposals samuelsen 0 3,387 08-01-2021 01:22 PM
Last Post: samuelsen