SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
boundary between honor oak and forest hill?
Perryman

08-07-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:
Oak of Honor Hill also known as One Tree Hill is where Elizabeth 1 picnicked with Sir Richard Bulkeley of Beaumaris in the Lewisham area on May Day in 1602

The trouble is, there is no written record of the word 'picnic' used in England until 1748, and even then it was more drink than food related. Picnics as we know them were a 19 century pastime. (on wiki so it must be true).

I think the original words were ~ that they 'rested' there, on May Day. Which is a pretty loaded statement by any standard. It implies informality and intimacy at best.

I'm not easy with an oak tree being 'honored' either- what does that mean? People have honour, not trees.

To me it sounds like the oak of honor was so named as it is the place where they want you to believe that both the queen and Sir Richard Bulkeley acted with honour and integrity on that May Day 1602.

And to be fair, today 'honor oak' sounds better than 'fornication oak', so alls well that ends well, really.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: boundary between honor oak and forest hill? - Perryman - 08-07-2010 01:52 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Boundary Commission constituency revision for Forest Hill rbmartin 3 5,475 18-10-2012 04:20 PM
Last Post: NewForester
  Forest Hill and Honor Oak on the ELL nevermodern 1 5,387 20-05-2010 03:55 PM
Last Post: NewForester