SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Dog c**p around Garthorne, Gabriel, Ackroyd & Bovill
SandG

04-07-2010 09:49 PM

Has anyone noticed an increase in dog c**p in the Streets mentioned above?

I've lived in the area for almost 6 years and whilst it has always been a problem is seems to have gotten worse recently.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Poppy9560

04-07-2010 10:27 PM

now you mention it I have noticed an increase - may e-mail one of our local councillors tomorrow about it. It' s an offence under some bye-law not to pick up after your dog but have no idea how it could be enforced. if anyone else has time to contact them we may get a result - worth a try. I really don't understand the mentalty of people who have dogs and don't look after them properlyUnsure

There are a good group of dog walkers who use Blythe Hill Fields but I have seen some shockers - people who sit in their cars while "exercsng" ther dog, or sit on a bench while the poor dog looks up at them with a ball in their mouth - WHY have a pet if you don't want to play with it?

mrcee

06-07-2010 06:59 PM

as someone thats moving into the area, how bad is the problem? its quite that disgusting that these dog walkers allow this particularly given young kids could be playing in the streets in the summer

hoppy

06-07-2010 08:04 PM

DS is always bad, but its not that bad. I think the lack of rain is contributing.

mrcee

06-07-2010 08:14 PM

i guess we can all keep reporting it to the council until something is done to solve the issue.

i found the below link http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/S...ouling.htm

roz

06-07-2010 08:20 PM

There are definitely dog walkers out there who are letting their dogs out alone or at least not paying attention. I saw a walker last night with one of her two dogs off the leash, trailing behind her by at least 100 metres and witnessed it doing a mess outside a neighbours house. She probably had an idea that the dog had stopped to do this but never returned to pick it up. That was around 11.30pm last night. Needless to say the parcel was still there this morning.

mrcee

06-07-2010 08:34 PM

well lets hope they read this and think twice

PVP

07-07-2010 08:41 AM

Dog *****? Leads? Coats? The obvious words would all be 4 **** Laugh

spud

07-07-2010 09:36 AM

Clue: rhymes with inconsiderate anti-social git.

Gabriella

07-07-2010 10:32 AM

funnily enough i've just looked out the window just now and seen a lady from Lewisham Council spray painting those yellow dogs with "no fouling" onto the pavement on Gabriel Street. I can't imagine they'll be enormously effective but better than nothing.

spud

07-07-2010 11:07 AM

Gabriella - those stencils have been appearing aound the area for about a decade with no obvious effect. Unfortunately.

PVP - if you're insisting on a full five asterisks' worth, how about rhymes with 'malodorous blight'?

davidl

07-07-2010 02:42 PM

I've always found the council to be very responsive when I've let them know about things like this (they even let you use an iPhone app to report litter etc).

Personally, I don't think the stencils do any good. They quickly become indistinct, and I don't think that a dog owner is ever going to look at one and think "Oh, this must be one of those footpaths I'm not meant to leave mess on" and change their approach.

And we're left with a mess of yellow paint which the street cleaning people can do absolutely nothing about.

To the poster who asked if it was a big concern for the area, I really don't think it is. Certainly Lewisham makes more of an effort on these sorts of things than a number of other London boroughs (based somewhat unscientifically on my own observations while walking around).

shzl400

07-07-2010 05:31 PM

Just thought you might like to know Lambeth is about to spend approx. £6.5k on 500 new tin-plate style "scoop up after your dog" notices to go up in the worst offending roads in the borough, as judged by the number of complaints.

SandG

07-07-2010 09:08 PM

I wrote dog * * * * but it came out as *****.

As suggested I contacted the council and it's good to see it had some result.

Thanks,

PVP

08-07-2010 10:39 AM

How about dog blight?? Laugh[/align]

mrcee

03-08-2010 12:08 AM

Hi All, my partner spotted the culprit on Sunday night however she was too scared to say anything. She said he was walking his dog on Gabriel street near the corner of bovil when he started acting very shady and looking around. At first she thought he was a car thief so she kept an eye on him but then she saw the dog and realised what was going. The guy had light brown hair and his dog was a brown staf with a white front. Keep a look out as he seems to be doing this deliberately

Londondrz

03-08-2010 05:44 AM

Good case for use of a camera phone, take a pic and send to Lewisham council. Post it up here so we know what the idiot looks like.

Gabriella

03-08-2010 07:48 AM

don't know what the answer is. My friend asked a guy who was letting his dog poo outside our house if he was going to clear it up and got an agressive response. The guy squared up to him, looking him in the eye and basically said no, what are you going to do about it.

Londondrz

03-08-2010 08:17 AM

Gabriella, the answer is simple, call the police. If you or any other person points out an unsocial act and the transgressor becomes agressive then call the police every time. People like this get away with it because most people dont want to do anything or are scared/intimidated. Police on scene and they change very quickly.[/align]

hoppy

03-08-2010 12:26 PM

I like the idea of posting a picture of the scummy people allowing this to happen.

If I ever catch anyone letting their dog do this, I plan to follwo them to their home and then dump every piece of muck I find on their doorstep. Possibly including my own!

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Parking in Grierson, Gabriel, Garthorne, Ackroyd etc etc SandG 0 2,729 07-07-2010 09:20 PM
Last Post: SandG