SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Canonbie road
babaloo

03-07-2010 10:42 PM

Dear all,

My boyfriend and I is wondering what this road is like- canobie road? Is safe? does it have good connections? how far away is it to the train station? nearest shops? the nearest bus stops?

Many thanks!!
xx

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
annsquire66

03-07-2010 10:54 PM

It's a very very steep hill that peaks in the centre- the views across London are amazing. Pretty much impassable in icy weather on the other hand...
Nearest train would be Honor Oak Park, about a 10-15 min walk. P4 bus stops at the bottom of the hill one side, and I think the 63 stop is a short walk from the other end.

babaloo

03-07-2010 11:21 PM

Thank you for your reply.

Are there any buses to London near by?

billham

04-07-2010 08:00 AM

To add to what Ann said, the nearest bus on the north side of the hill is the 63/363. The 63 runs from Old Camberwell Cemetry to Kings Cross via Elephant & Castle/Blackfriars. The 363 starts at Crystal Palace and runs to Elephant. This is probably the route I use most often and there is rarely more than 10 minutes between buses, often less.

If you walk to London Road, which is about 10 minutes from any part of the hill (via Horniman Gardens from the north side) you have the choice of a 185 to Victoria via Oval or a 176 via Waterloo Bridge towards Charing Cross.

There are also the 'small' buses, the P12 to Surrey Quays and the P4 to Brixton. The Transport for London website can show you exact routes:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/

I have lived near Canonbie for about 25 years and can't really fault it. It IS a steep hill so if that is likely to cause a problem then avoid it. However, the hill and the views to London (or the south) are also a major plus and make you feel like you are well away from London whilst still very close.

Highgate is simply the Forest Hill of the north in my book! Smile

isaglanzer

05-07-2010 12:03 PM

We've just moved into Canonbie Rd from Stockwell and are delighted with it so far, though we haven't yet experienced winter here (we're in its lower reaches, so probably not too bad). As everyone has said, extraordinary views. It takes about 10 mins to the station and the 63/363 is frequent and some of the P buses useful additional connections. It's such a calm and tranquil atmosphere here on the hill looking out over the city - we are greatly enjoying it, and have also found people very welcoming and neighbourly. By our neighbours' accounts, it seems a safe street, and another bonus is the fantastic primary school round the corner. [/align]

ForestHillier

05-07-2010 01:47 PM

Isaglanzer - so what part of Stockwell did you live as I know that area very well, used to live near there myself many many years ago

Think you will FH/HO surrounds a lot better than Stockwell, it is really leafy and if you venture down to the shops in FH, you may well find that is is like a little village, well I think it is anyway

NewForester

06-07-2010 06:21 PM

The views are well worth the 15 minute walk to either Forest Hill or Honor Oak stations and the nearby shops. As for closer shops, you've got the great little butcher's shop on Wood Vale (less than 5 minutes walk) and other small shops and a Doctor further down Forest Hill Road (towards Peckham Rye).

If you're into Golf, the Aquarius Golf Club on Marmora Rd (members only) is close by too.

babaloo

19-07-2010 11:56 PM

I was wondering if any have walked from HOP station to Canobie road during the night and experience any problems? I notice that it's not very well lit. (I get scared quite easily, my mother made me watch crime watch at a young age...)

AMFM

20-07-2010 09:15 AM

If it's late and you're tired/uneasy, I don't think a cab up the hill is too expensive or you could get the P4 which stops at the bottom of Canonbie.

isaglanzer

20-07-2010 09:47 AM

And the road is busy until very late, which stops it being spooky walking along the main road from the station.

CBRoad

20-07-2010 01:27 PM

Babaloo,

I have lived on Canonbie for 7 years and often walk from the station alone late at night several times a week (sadly working late and not due to a dazzling social life). I have never been involved or seen any trouble although it can be a bit spooky walking by One Tree Hill. The P12 stops opposite the station and drops you off at the bottom of Canonbie (Forest Hill Road end) and the P4 covers the other end (Honor Oak Road) or if you are feeling flush, Linkway Cars are fantastic and will drive you to your door in no time.

dbboy

20-07-2010 09:49 PM

Some questions about Canonbie Road

Where does the name Canonbie Road come from, I know it has some sort of Scottish connection?

When was Canonbie Road "built"?

What was there before the road and when was that?

babaloo

20-07-2010 10:39 PM

thanks for all your wonderful replies, we have found a flat and are now moving in!! yay!!

Perryman

21-07-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:
When was Canonbie Road "built"?
What was there before the road and when was that?

Bacon's map of 1879

steve grindlay, our local expert, might be able to help further, but the above map shows canonbie and netherby pretty firmly inked in, and you imagine building started shortly afterwards (1879).

They look to be built on the manor lodge and fair lawn estates, penned in by the crystal palace railway and the tewkesbury estate - which was not 'developed' for another 50 years.

Interestingly the prototype (lower) Westwood park (road) looks rather vague - not really connecting up with anything with much conviction except the bridge built across the railway - which you might expect to be an important link worth connecting up to.
Perhaps it was just a footbridge.

andrewr

31-07-2010 05:34 PM

The Godfrey Edition reprint of the 1870 (survey date) OS map of Dulwich Village clearly shows Netherby Road and Canonbie Road but shows nothing in the Westwood Park area (other than some nearby field boundaries).

Joan Read's list of Lewisham street names states that both Canonbie and Netherby roads were named in 1865, that Canonbie was named after a village in Dumfries and Netherby, a village in Cumberland. Presumably the builder(s) had connections in those parts.

The broad parallel lines on the Bacon Edition map do seem to correspond approximately with the line of Westwood Park. However there is nothing visible in that location on the OS map surveyed 1893-4 and I don't believe that section of Westwood Park was laid out until the houses were built in the 1930's.

There seems to have been very little development in either Canonbie or Netherby Road until the 1890's or even later so if the roads were built as a speculative development, the builder may have had to wait quite a few years for a return on investment.

Interestingly, Canonbie Road is clearly visible from the London Eye on a clear day because it is in almost perfect alignment (as is evident looking at The Eye from the top of the hill). It is probably one of the most distant roads that can be identified from The Eye.

Shortly after 9/11 homes near the top of Canonbie Road were visited by Special Branch police investigating whether they might be suitable sites for anti-aircraft operations!

billham

31-07-2010 08:16 PM

Interesting to see that the 1879 map spells the word Honour in the English way. Does anyone know how the word came to be spelled in the American manner?

babaloo

21-08-2010 11:37 AM

We just went to visit again and we notice that the bottom of canobie road- forest hill road end. We are right next to peckham rye and what seem to be an council estate. I know that peckham can be a dangerous place to live but I was wondering how the council estate was? is it quite dodgy? any problems? We also took a walk in the brenchly garders (?) it seems relatively safe during the day but we would like to run there in the evenings- I'm just hoping it doesn't fill up with the kids from estate opposite. Thumbdown

Thanks in advance

sandy

21-08-2010 03:27 PM

If you are suggesting that Peckham Rye is a threat (a bit unclear from how the message is written), it is not at the bottom of Canonbie Road and, anyway, is actually a very nice open space to walk (and run?) in. As for council estates and 'respectable' fears don't get me going...

It's a great area to live in: open spaces, good transport links, views, good places to walk out to for drinks and eats (I could go on) and it's in a great diverse city which comes with all the excitement (and, yes, sometimes tensions) of such a mix. Be positive, citywise and enjoy it rather than looking for the downsides.Smile

babaloo

21-08-2010 05:31 PM

Well, when we were at the bottom of canobie road, there is a sign saying 'welcome to Peckham Rye' it might be abit further down but still close to canobie road. The sign was opposite Brenchley Gardens. Also when we were walking out of Brenchley gardens we saw alot of southwark council bin bags which got us wondering because I thought HOP was Lewisham Council.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all council estates are dangerous- I grew up on one, a pretty bad one so it's quite natural for me to feel a bit weary when I see one near by my new home. I guess I have to wait and see...

Thanks for the replies, better get starting on my packing...

Applespider

21-08-2010 05:57 PM

It's on the boundary of Southwark/Lewisham councils so you may see Southwark employees/vehicles around. Perhaps that particular estate is within Southwark.

So far as Peckham being a 'dangerous' place, it is a gross generalisation. It covers a fairly wide area with some lovely houses along the Rye which for the most part is considered an extension to East Dulwich. The Peckham that gets the worst press tends to be north Peckham.

Babaloo - come with an open mind. You may find local kids in a park (the horror of it - why aren't they sitting in front of their Xbox Rolleyes) but that doesn't mean they're going to cause you problems. There are lots of great green spaces around here (Horniman Gardens, Peckham Rye, Dulwich Park, Sydenham Woods as well as Brenchley Gardens) that you'll find lots of local residents using - running, cycling, using the outdoor gyms as well as reading/chilling/walking dogs.

There are far more good people here than dodgy ones. Good luck with your move.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Planning: Honor Oak Reservoir & 116-118 Canonbie Road jaradras 19 26,022 15-04-2021 08:35 AM
Last Post: jgdoherty
  Demolition of 118 Canonbie Road SE23 samuelsen 0 3,172 19-02-2019 11:14 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Water leak, junction Westwood Pk/Canonbie Road samuelsen 6 7,781 11-12-2016 11:26 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Sheet ice on Canonbie Road & Netherby Road admin 2 5,921 20-01-2015 04:23 PM
Last Post: davidwhiting
  Burgled in Canonbie Road NBats 8 11,099 11-01-2015 02:36 PM
Last Post: Erekose
  Planning Application: 51-53 Canonbie Road penfold 88 115,859 02-05-2014 01:04 PM
Last Post: Hunter
  Traffic made worse at junction of Forest Hill Road, Canonbie Road and Wood Vale? Triangle 7 11,066 14-01-2014 10:28 AM
Last Post: Londondrz
  What happened last night on Canonbie Road? nathell 0 4,342 21-11-2013 10:32 PM
Last Post: nathell
  Canonbie Road - Google Camera Car - A Mystery! Cellar Door 0 4,672 16-05-2013 02:55 PM
Last Post: Cellar Door
  Advertising on parked car, Canonbie Road billham 11 20,647 21-11-2012 01:18 PM
Last Post: BarCar
  The Folly to the back of Canonbie Road sonny 8 12,963 23-02-2011 03:57 PM
Last Post: sonny
  Plane noise over Canonbie Road WillF 5 11,192 26-11-2010 04:07 PM
Last Post: WillF