SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Preserved For Posterity
johnnyb7

02-07-2010 05:56 PM

Looking at the old post office thread got me wondering about just what is officially "Listed" in SE23

This is from the sydenham Forum:

Statutorily listed buildings in Forest Hill:
Horniman Museum, Grade II*
Horniman conservatory, forecourt and railings, Grade II
Tewkesbury Lodge Folly, Liphook Crescent, Grade II
Hill House, Honor Oak Road, Grade II
Ashberry Cottage, Honor Oak Road, Grade II
Capitol Cinema, Grade II
Forest Hill Library, Grade II
Telephone boxes outside Capitol, Grade II
Telephone box at junction of Sydenham Hill, Lordship Lane, Grade II
Octagonal pillar boxes in Devonshire Road, Grade II
Telephone box in Devonshire Road, Grade II
101-103 Perry Vale, Grade II
Forest Hill Library, Dartmouth Road, Grade II
Christ Church, South Road, Grade II
Perry Vale Fire Station, Grade II
Fairlawn School, Honor Oak Road, Grade II

The post boxes on Devonshire Road make that road unique in that it's the only road in London with two pillar boxes bearing the kings crown.

A cabby told me that one night as he drove me home along it, so it must be true....!!...Wink

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shzl400

02-07-2010 06:18 PM

Louise House?

I believe there's another category of "locally listed" - are there any of those to add to the formal listing?

billham

03-07-2010 05:36 PM

Was surpised to see Fairlawn School in there as it doesn't look much different from many other schools from the outside (never been inside it admittedly). According to English Heritage:

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Fairlawn School, built between 1955-57 to the designs of Peter Moro and Michael Mellish, is of special architectural interest on account of its highly innovative plan form, expressed by the grouping of the two elements accommodating the higher and lower schools around a central access core, its creative and diverse use of materials and the child focused emphasis of its design, most clearly expressed in the diminutive proportions of the infant school classroom detail and the level surfacing of the connecting corridors. It is also one of only three schools produced by Peter Moro, an internationally renowned Modernist architect of the post-war era. Furthermore, It is one of a small group among thousands of post-war schools recognised as being of national importance for their architectural innovation and creative expression in the post-war period.

So there!

ukulele_lady

08-07-2010 08:42 AM

I heard that Taymount Grange was granted a Grade 2 listing, but never went for it as it would make insurance sky rocket... not sure if that's true though?

Red67

08-07-2010 09:34 AM

Re: Fairlawn School, a fantastic mid-century modern building

Peter Moro was chief architect of the Royal Festival Hall

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entert...79587.html

Triangle

08-07-2010 11:04 AM

I was fortunate enough to go to Fairlawn Primary from 1959. Compared to pre war schools it was very modern, one of the noticable differences being the abundance of large windows which let in a lot of light and made the classrooms most pleasant.

In particular I remember the main hall as being quite impressive with wonderful wood block flooring. We used to have assembly every morning in the hall and descending the main staircase to the sound of classical music booming out (Typically "Jupiter" from Holst's Planets) made one feel quite proud to be a pupil at Fairlawn! (Even at that tender age!)

Two other things I particularly recall were the ceilings of the classrooms, (spent a lot of time looking at them!) which had a strange "birds nest" look about them - I believe that was something to do with the type of construction which was used then - and the prominent coloured panels under the windows on the infant classes which faced the road. I think they still exist today?

As modern buildings go it did have some problems - I recall soon after starting there that the whole floor in one of the junior classrooms had to be dug up to attend to some sort of underground leak and the aforementioned large windows meant that the classrooms could get very hot in the summer and a bit nippy in the winter. But generally I think it was well planned and I have fond memories.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields