SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
More than ten reasons not to move to Bromley
baggydave

09-01-2008 10:49 PM

# 1. The small gene pool

BD - South London (proper) sticking together

(oh South London, is wonderful....)
Love

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PVP

10-01-2008 09:09 AM

I think probably the missing gene would be more appropriate.

hilltopgeneral

10-01-2008 10:45 AM

David, you must get over this fixation you have with Bromley. Have your children been knocked back by one of the schools there or something?

thenutfield

10-01-2008 11:18 PM

#2 - Bromley girls and boys (you know the type)

PVP

11-01-2008 09:49 AM

But the shops are better.

hilltopgeneral

11-01-2008 11:41 AM

And the council tax is lower. And the schools are better. And the crime rate is lower. But - horror - the population is whiter, has been resident longer is and more predisposed to wearing pink polo shirts, reading the Mail and voting Conservative.

Or in other words, there is the usual contrast between an inner urban and a suburban area.

lillam

26-01-2008 03:00 PM

I've considered moving out there - supposedly you can get a fast train from Bromely to Victoria in under 15mins. But all things considered there is just something about it thats too small townish for me...

baggydave

24-02-2008 05:54 PM

A serious question - is Croydon or Bromley more small townish (ie not a particularly nice place to go on a Friday or Sat night).

Oh, and my issues with Bromley are -

Those trendy lefties who talk about how wonderful it is to live in cosmopolitan SE23, and how much they support local state education and then at the first opportunity move to the outer boroughs.

And some of the horrid rascist/xenophobic/small island/homophobic comments people have made to me on the assumption that being of white European extraction that I will be in total agreement.

Anyway I've said all of this before. Whilst Bromley is perhaps no different to any other similar outpost of the British Empire, it doesn't excuse it.

Oh and the pubs are bad as well, but probably no better or worse than Lewisham High Street.
Funny thing that I heard from a resident living there is that now there was a Primark, they had to move out as it was attracting the wrong sorts.

BD - never misses an opportunity

roz

24-02-2008 09:56 PM

For a moment I thought you were talking about Beckenham. That really does seem a world apart and/ or straight out of the 1950's. My opticians in FH closed down a few years ago and I was transferred to their Beckenham branch - I overheard conversations between the staff there voicing concerns about having to deal with
' rabble' from Forest Hill.

To me Bromley is functional but not easily accessed by rail unlike Croydon, so its not my favourite shopping spot. If taking the time to drive from FH to Bromley for shopping you are better driving a little further on to Tunbridge Wells where the shops are better and the overall urban environment a lot more pleasant.

However you'd never catch me moving either to Bromley or Tunbridge Wells- if we ever tire of London we'd be off to Brighton- that other well known London suburb.....

baggydave

24-02-2008 11:32 PM

Great pubs in Brighton with great beer and great juke boxes and indie hippie sandal wearing types well into middle age, so BD fits in just right, and certainly no obvious homophobia. And easy links to Forest Hill and HOP.

I talk about Bromley town, and Beckenham in one, and Orpington, Chislehurst, etc. Of course they have their wrong side of the tracks as we do, St Mary's. Once saw Dulwich Hamlet play Bromley Town, and all the bad language was from who I had assumed were our better brought up cousins.

Continuing on the same subject was in Downham today (a place that appears to have been stripped of its pubs, mainly the large roadside ones from the 30s 40s when posh people drove out of central London up the A21 to the then countryside). Just a few yards and a post code away the sun is shining and the people wealthy, similar between Lower Sydenham and Becknum.

And of course the irony is that many of the people who talk about the SE23 rabble are probaly from the Old Kent Road and the like.

roz

25-02-2008 12:21 PM

On the subject of Chislehurst, ( Im pushing it I know) I can recommend a visit to Chislehurst Caves on one of their guided tours. For years I thought this was a spoof attraction but was pleasantly surprised at how interesting it was.

hilltopgeneral

25-02-2008 12:40 PM

baggydave wrote:
Continuing on the same subject was in Downham today (a place that appears to have been stripped of its pubs, mainly the large roadside ones from the 30s 40s when posh people drove out of central London up the A21 to the then countryside). Just a few yards and a post code away the sun is shining and the people wealthy, similar between Lower Sydenham and Becknum.

The same subject? So your objection is that the areas of Bromley borough adjoining Lewisham borough have better weather and are wealthier??

baggydave wrote:
And of course the irony is that many of the people who talk about the SE23 rabble are probaly from the Old Kent Road and the like.

The true irony is that as usual you are blithely indifferent to your own brand of prejudice.

baggydave

16-06-2008 09:25 PM

Oh a further good reason - Bromley hospitals NHS trust is among the 30 or so who have failed hygiene standards. Clearly you don't have to be posh to wash. (For a change that was actually quite amusing).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7453037.stm

Perhaps readers from the other side may like to comment on the quality of Big Issue sellers in LBL.

brian

17-06-2008 08:12 AM

To be honest BD whilst in the sunny uplands of Beckenham Town Centre recently noticed a BI seller outside their Sainsbury who could have been a twin of one of the ladies at SE 23.
Why are not these people ever outside Lidl.
Beckenham does have a very nice gentlemen's outfitters. Looks like the 1950's ( shirt draw etc ). Quite amazing it has survived.

Perryman

17-06-2008 09:59 AM

At least they have a gene pool.
Our one has been shut down

thenutfield

17-06-2008 12:57 PM

Once, years ago, I was meant to be going to Bromley but ended up going to Bromley By Bow instead. Now that's 2 different worlds!

brian

17-06-2008 01:39 PM

Yes Bromley not what it was. The etiquette and pronounciation has gone down quite a bit. The standard of dress also is letting the side down. You notice middle aged ladies , mutton dressed as lamb and middle aged gents , god forbid , wearing short trousers.
It is indeed depressing

baggydave

17-06-2008 11:52 PM

Nutfield - so you can now call yourself a proper Cockney!
Brian - shorts are fine, with long socks, a nice jacket, shirt tucked in with appropriate tie, or with collar worn outside the lapels in a retro 50s sort of way. The colonials carry it off very well, whereas the ex-colonials (yanks) are hopeless as their bellies protrude from their polo shirts.
As for pools, well LBB did not do a good job of maintaining their Olympic sized swimming pool when it was in their hands (no doubt it wasn't them but Sports England). But an attractive building none the less - isn't it listed?

psyche9

18-06-2008 04:50 AM

They do not have any ?1 shops in Bromley, so shopping there is beyond my reach

brian

18-06-2008 10:57 AM

Are you sure there are no Pound Shops in Bromers. I know there was 1 year ago.
Do to the drop in Sterling against currencies of manufacturing nations guess Pound Shops having a problem now.

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  More than 10 reasons not to move to Brighton Fish Face 8 8,862 05-08-2008 12:28 PM
Last Post: SophieBee