SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »
More Lies
Ex FH Pat

02-07-2010 08:30 AM

So before the election, the Tory manifesto was we will be hard on crime & order and now they say that they may not bother to imprison certain crimes, well let them tell the people who have been the victims of crime that it does not matter, its ok for all the MPS living in some leavy suburb in the Country, then they have the lbertyto claim expenses for travel on cabs as they clain its to dangerous to travel by public transport, yet its ok for us mere mortals

And before Michael pipes up, this is not just a Wandsworth Borough rant, it is a rant for all residents of the UK

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ghis

02-07-2010 08:36 AM

So why in SE23 topic?

Ex FH Pat

02-07-2010 08:38 AM

No reason, just put it in there, does it matter ??

Ghis

02-07-2010 09:01 AM

"Topics relating only to the SE23 area" under the forum header. That's the point of the Beyond SE23 section. But I think the moderator may have to create a section just for you.

NewForester

02-07-2010 09:02 AM

i expect admin will move it - he tries to keep things SE23 specific here.

However, back to your point. You are reacting to the usual poor reporting we see nowdays; headline grabbing wiithout regard to actual facts. The policy is not to free all criminals, but to prevent minor criminals getting sucked into the criminal underworld. Prisons are great places for networking! According to the Chair of the Magistrates, prison is only used as a last resort. If you can deal with the problem earlier, there will be less need for prisons.

In the meantime, the government will continue building prisons.

Perryman

02-07-2010 09:11 AM

Local prisons for local people!
Thats what we want.

Ex FH Pat

02-07-2010 09:30 AM

Ghis - But I think the moderator may have to create a section just for you.

No need as I have written to the moderator to get my profile deleted as its obvious that there are many in SE23 who dont want to read/see any of my posts

Ghis

02-07-2010 10:58 AM

But then you will register with another name, won't you? Laugh Don't be such a drama queen put up with us rattling your chain too, that's what happens on forums. People have opinions, argue, waste time and most others sit back, have a chuckle and try to dig out the posts of actual interest to them. This place serves its purpose, that's why I always try to revive some of the Honor Oak threads, as there seem to be less of us on here.

gingernuts

02-07-2010 11:23 AM

But you cant expect a Tory manifesto when we havent got a Tory Government in power. It's a Coalition Government.

jon14

02-07-2010 11:41 AM

Exactly, gingernuts.

Ex FH Pat

02-07-2010 12:12 PM

GHIS - no way as soon as my profile is deleted, then thats it from me

Jon/Ginbernuts, thats obsurd as we all know that it is the Tories that are running the Country

rshdunlop

02-07-2010 12:25 PM

Ex FH Pat - who says you've upset anyone? If you post an opinion and people disagree, so what? Or do you not want people to reply?

Putting people in prison is a traditionally Tory policy. This new policy is quite a departure. Yet you seem to be objecting to it purely on party lines. I'm no lover of the Conservative party, but I am very interested to see where they go with this new approach. I've been a victim of crime a few times in my life. Would I rather see the person locked up as 'punishment' or would I like to see them re- educated and redirected in their lives? By all means, lock 'em up for a few years, so they can come straight back out and carry on where they left off, with a few new tricks up their sleeves.

There are some criminals for whom prison is the only option. There are many more for which it is of no benefit at all, and if it doesn't change them, it doesn't benefit me.

sydenhamcentral

02-07-2010 12:27 PM

I have to say I think it's a good idea.

Form what I understand, anyone guilty of a major crime is going to jail as normal.

Anyone who would have got a lighter sentence, under 6 months, may have a different form of punishment/rehabilitation.

Over half of those who go to prison for 'petty crimes' reoffend. It's proven that drugs are a huge driver of crime. It's proven that drugs are a huge problem in prison. It's proved that shorter sentences don't work. It's proved that petty crime often escalates into serious crime.

So it's time for another solution to this problem.

I have no idea what his solution is. Perhaps more community service, perhaps enforced education or trade to make petty criminals learn a sense of worth and skill. Who knows.

Each criminal costs the tax payer more money per year to lock up behind bars than it costs to send a child to Eaton.

I believe that there is a problem with how we treat some crime. I believe that we need to solve that problem.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ex FH Pat

02-07-2010 12:30 PM

rshdunlop - it does not bother me that people disagree, like everyone as said on here, this is a forum to post/agree or disagree, what I was annoyed about was the idiotic replies from GHIS, just because I put the topic into the se23 forum and not the other one

The only reason that i posted the other 2 was to catch out GHIS as if you google which postcode is Honor Oak in, on one site, it states se4

Ghis

02-07-2010 12:37 PM

The idotic pendant of SE23 at your service or is that of SE4? Laugh

Ghis

02-07-2010 12:45 PM

actually sloppy pedant, seeing my spelling above...

jon14

02-07-2010 12:57 PM

If the Tories were running the country, there is no way we'd have an income tax threshold of £10,000. 'Lies' is a strong word, Ex FH Pat, use it only when you know it's true.

rshdunlop

02-07-2010 12:59 PM

Some part of HOP are in SE23, some in SE4. Would people posting about HOP kindly determine which postcode their post refers to and make sure it goes in the correct forum? Thank you.

Of course, if this was a proper Forest Hill Forum instead of this SE23 nonsense, we could send those HOP and (shudder) Brockley Park people packing. And don't get me started on Tooting..Rofl

Ex FH Pat

02-07-2010 01:05 PM

Come on then - please post what you want about Tooting

I thought the 10k threshold was not going to start until another few years

The Tories have lied - so I have used it when I know its true

1 ) Before the election they said that anyone with a combined income of between 25k - 40k would not be out of pocket with the budget, they even said it while reading the bugget, then in the small print of the budget, it stated that those in that bracket would lose the CTC from April 2012

2 ) Already wrote about this on the 1st post on this forum, nice to see that it has now been moved

I would have been annoyed also if Labour had lied, as it is totally mis-leading and Labour sure did tell some porkies when they were in office

The main rason for the rant was because I just dont like people who lie

gingernuts

02-07-2010 01:12 PM

and that's why we didnt want Foest Hill Pools in Sydenham......or am I now in the wrong thread on the wrong site?

Pages (3): « First [1] 2 3 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields