SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Rainbow Guides
sydenhamhiller

24-06-2010 10:18 AM

Hi there - just wondered if anyone out there had a daughter (or a son, don't want to show bias!) in Rainbow Scouts? My daughter is itching to start and I am trying to find a group for her, and not finding the Girl Guide website sooo helpful, thought I'd come to this fab forum for help.

I'm actually on Sydenham Hill, bit of border country really, so Crystal Palace/ Sydenham rainbows might be as close as anything in se23.

Any tips gratefully received

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gaz

24-06-2010 01:34 PM

I forwarded your message onto a Guide 'Owl' in Peckham Rye but her unit is actually in Lambeth. This came back from another leader in their central headquarters in case it helps (it looks like they are not keen to publish their locations to *everyone* on the web):

Quote:
If you forward them this link then they will be able to enter the required details and the info will be sent out to them

http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/get_involv...ghter.aspx

Alternatively they can call 0161 941 2237 and go through the automated service.

Hope this helps

sydenhamhiller

24-06-2010 04:09 PM

many thanks

Mummycat

24-06-2010 04:41 PM

Hi - Are you SydenhamHillAndy on Sydenham Town Forum? I tried to help when you posted on there a while ago, by suggesting the Grove Centre on Jews Walk on Wednesday evenings.

You said it had closed down, but I've just read your reply again, (on STF) and you said that you had contacted "Grove Park". "Grove Park" is an area towards Bromley and not the Grove Centre on Jews Walk, Sydenham. The poster in the noticeboard outside the Grove Centre still advertises Rainbows on Wednesdays.

You may be right, but you may have rung the wrong number if you saw an advert in Lewisham Life, etc. and mixed up the names...
KR
Emma

roz

24-06-2010 07:55 PM

I thought I saw a poster up at Normanton Road Church?

sydenhamhiller

30-06-2010 09:07 PM

Thanks for help everyone.

Yes Mummycat, same one! :o) I meant Grove centre on Jews Walk - they contacted me and said they did not have rainbows anymore. I contacted the Normanton Road troop (thanks Roz), lovely leader was very helpful, but probably unavoidable clash with brother's beavers on same night... So was just hoping there was a Rainbows not on a Tuesday!

thanks again, love these forums, don't know how I ever found anything out before this...

roz

30-06-2010 09:25 PM

Hi, glad it was useful info!

I did wonder though how many people who went to these things were religious.? I was a Brownie once attached to a local church and they got involved in a lot of wider church things which to be honest was the only social life that most children had where I grew up. It was a great part of my life and I remember it well and got a lot out of it however it never made me believe in God. I was also a member of the Girls Brigade but never got the hang of the marching.

Despite all these religious events I am an atheist and my partner is an agnostic of Jewish parentage so not sure how we would be viewed if our children went to Brownies or even if they would let them participate. It is probably hypocritical to let our kids take the vows if we are not believers but I'm wondering how much it matters After all MP's have to commit to serving God and we know what a diverse bunch they are!

I have been looking into the Woodcraft Folk but they seem to be for older children anyway.

Any news or views on this- it would be good to hear from other parents of Brownies/Guides/Scouts etc. I assume that not all parents are Christian?

Mummycat

01-07-2010 06:49 AM

Hi Roz!

No, we're not Christian althought my son goes to a CofE school. We have a Buddhist philosophy, but do not worship any god. My children's Grandfather is a Sri Lankan Buddhist and has therefore encouraged them to take an interest in his culture. They have amulets passed down from generations and they are interested in it, so it's their choice....

The Brownie promise has changed since I was a Brownie in the late 70's - "... to love my god, to serve my Queen and country....". I'd say only half my daughter's pack are regular church goers, we also have a Hindu.

Hope this helps,
Emma

FiB

04-07-2010 12:10 AM

Roz - my daughter went to Woodcraft Folk for a while and loved it (it clashes with something else at the moment and something had to give, but I think she will go back to it). There are four age ranges:
- Woodchips = under 6yrs
- Elfins = 6-9yrs
- Pioneers = 10-12yrs
- Venturers = 13-15yrs.
Admittedly, not all groups have all the ranges - it depends on demand and volunteers. But what I like about WCF is that there is no allegiance to God or Queen, but they're big into peace and co-operation, social justice and equality and the environment. They're just a little bit disorganised!

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields