SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
HOP Station Staff
mljay

15-06-2010 02:49 PM

Any idea what the staff on the platform are there for? Never used to be anyone before the Overground.

Do we really have to be told to stand behind the yellow line - like it was not obvious?

I could understand if they would assist people with carrying bags/ prams/ strollers into and out of the train, but other than that, they seem to serve little purpose.

Are they only there in the mornings or are they around all day?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

15-06-2010 03:00 PM

All underground and 'overground' stations are permenantly manned during hours of operation. As well as keeping people safely a few hundred miles away from the edge of the platform, they provide a information for passengers and a sense of security.

We might not like being told where to stand (especially considering where the lines are drawn) but manned station platforms is just part of the service we will come to regard as standard now that we are on the tube map.

Ghis

15-06-2010 03:14 PM

I asked one of them when the wall would be repaired and his reply was "I haven't got a clue". Not really helpful but at least they say hello in the morning.

dbboy

15-06-2010 04:22 PM

Try buying a ticket from a member on the London Overground staff, they only sell the tickets on the screen even when it's explained to them that the quoted price is wrong, they continue to persist. Very annoying and irritating.

I tried buying a return to Reading via clapham junction, not going into zone 1, it couldn't be done. I have found that prices from London Overground stations are much more expensive than from Southern train stations. It's actualy cheaper to buy a reurn to a southern trainin station like Streatham Hill and then a return from there to Reading.

mrcee

15-06-2010 04:55 PM

If they are there late night then I for one think its good to have a little presence rather than none in terms of security.

shzl400

15-06-2010 05:54 PM

Sorry to say, mrcee, I came got back at just after 11:00 last night and there was nary a soul there.

rbmartin

15-06-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:
Try buying a ticket from a member on the London Overground staff, they only sell the tickets on the screen even when it's explained to them that the quoted price is wrong, they continue to persist. Very annoying and irritating.

I tried buying a return to Reading via clapham junction, not going into zone 1, it couldn't be done. I have found that prices from London Overground stations are much more expensive than from Southern train stations. It's actualy cheaper to buy a reurn to a southern trainin station like Streatham Hill and then a return from there to Reading.

Use the vending machine instead, you can type in any National Rail station in the UK and it'll give you all the various travelling options, plus you can add railcard discounts. You can also book your tickets online from http://www.southernrailway.com and pick up your tickets from the machine at HOP despite it being a LO station.

mljay

15-06-2010 10:02 PM

Got back at about 8pm tonight - no one on the platforms - but there was someone in the ticket office.

I tried to say hello to chap on the northbound platform this morning - but was ignored.

I don't mind stations being manned, but would rather it was for a real job rather than what seems like a made up one.

Mind you I have used New Cross Gate once and staff there offered to help me with pram down the stairs and I saw them help some other mother.

FHSoc

15-06-2010 11:55 PM

It appears that there is no 'Not via London' fare in the computer for Forest Hill and all stations north. Sydenham does have the lower fare.

rbmartin

16-06-2010 11:53 AM

Could the FHSoc report this back to LOROL? I'm planning on travelling to Brighton in the next few weeks and don't fancy having to purchase a ticket via London just to do a simple journey with one change at East Croydon.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Crimewatch 12/9/13 - FH Station Staff Member Assaulted dovetail 5 8,093 19-09-2013 12:08 PM
Last Post: Snazy
  Honor Oak Park station staff kemamira 21 25,305 27-02-2013 10:54 PM
Last Post: Mattya