SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Warning attempted Burglary - Honor Oak Park
Honor Oak Bloke

14-06-2010 08:26 PM

Hi All,

Just a reminder to lock up and secure your house. Some lovely people tried to lever up our front Sash Windows (and those of our neighbours) over the weekend just gone. We were out from midday saturday until sunday evening and think it happened during that period, although it could conceivably been today (we are not certain). It seems to have been the bolts that stop the front sash windows opening more than an inch or so that prevented people getting in even though enough force was used to rip the screw lock from the frame. I would thoroughly recommended any who doesnt have these getting them.

HOB

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gabriella

15-06-2010 08:08 AM

thanks for the info and very glad they weren't successful. Where abouts in HOP are you?

Erekose

15-06-2010 12:54 PM

Not alone there. This happened in Forest Hill.
Last week my son answered the door to three teenagers who asked if they could use the phone. He was put off by their general attitude, refused and closed the door. They then kicked the door open (breaking the frame and yale lock) entered the house and proceeded to steal two pushbikes from the hallway. Luckily the police arrested them a little later (just past the Horniman and about half a mile from our house) but they were released on bail that day.
Beware if anyone rings on the doorbell and asks to use the phone.

Honor Oak Bloke

16-06-2010 01:47 PM

Erekose thats a really unpleasent thing to happen, I hope that hasnt shaken you up too much, its good to hear they were caught the same day.

Gabriella, this was off Garthorne Road in HOP. Unfortunatley it seems they were sucessful further down the street on the same evening.

Again I would recommend anyone with sash windows buys bolts on the side that stops the front windows being opened (realistically when do they get opened anyway?). Also Victorian houses are pretty cool inside at this time of year.

HOB

honoracorn

16-06-2010 09:01 PM

We were burgled a few years ago when our sashes were levered. The CSI guy told us to cut our hedge right down. Apparently the same night another house on Whatman Road had also been done, and surprise surprise, it also had a hedge in front of the windows.

spud

17-06-2010 12:51 PM

Two constables were conducting door-to-doors in the area last night looking for anyone who might have seen anything. One of them suggested that the burglars had succeeded in breaking in to another house in the same street.

Burglars are mostly opportunists making calculations about risk and reward so I suppose we should try to make it harder for them and also not to make it obvious that it's worth their while.

So ...cut back tall hedges that provide camoflauge for burglars. Get window locks fitted. Have more than just a Yale lock on the front door. Try not to leave small portable high-value items within sight of the front room window: laptops, digital cameras, iPhones, iPods.

Can anyone think of any more tips?

Brockley_Babe

17-06-2010 01:36 PM

it's worth contacting the Forest Hill SNT - they post on here sometimes. They will be happy to give professional advice on crime prevention - that's part of their job after all

Merlin

17-06-2010 03:20 PM

This isn't a burglary story, I locked myself out whilst popping to the shop and the locksmith that came and let me back in did so with nothing more than a small sheet of flexible plastic! I'd never risk not using my additional locks now (I used to just shut the door and not bother sometimes) That £60 taught me a lot!

manor mountie

18-06-2010 08:58 AM

sash window locks like these are very effective as long as you remember to screw them back in when you close the window http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/locks-for-sas...rules.html

FHSoc

19-06-2010 10:52 AM

A scooter was stolen on Wednesday night (Orange, R Reg, 60ish cc so quite distinctive sounding, very well loved) from the corner of Mundania Road / Forest Hill Road SE22 – if you’ve seen it (or anything suspicious relating to it) please get in touch. And as an opportunistic thief seem to be about, please be careful with locking your own stuff up...

honoracorn

19-06-2010 06:03 PM

Something a bit weird just happened. I was in our living room and noticed two guys were standing outside our house. Then one came through the gate and walked between our bay window and the hedge and then back again. Didn't ring the doorbell so no reason to be on our property. Then they hung around for a bit and then left. Maybe I'm being paranoid after reading this thread but seems a bit strange behaviour to me.

Merlin

19-06-2010 09:42 PM

At the very least you should call the SNT. Have a chat with your neighbours tomorrow so you can all keep an eye out for each other.

Mickey

20-06-2010 06:14 PM

Thanks for the warning - we all need to keep our eyes and ears open.

lyds_h

24-06-2010 06:21 PM

Its worth trying the local police support team if you have problems - had an attempted break-in in our flats. It took a bit of effort to get in touch with them (they don't seem to check their e-mail often) but they were hugely helpful over the phone and I understand they came to visit the block later in the week so fairly helpful!

andrewr

31-07-2010 04:39 PM

Burglars are active in the Tewkesbury Lodge Estate area. Two homes entered at night whilst residents at home. In one case a large front window was opened by reaching in through a small open window. Some things were taken before the intruders were disturbed. In the second case the house was entered through an unlocked rear patio door and various ID stolen. I've also heard of a recent local case of a wooden window frame being bored to access the catch with a piece of wire during the night. Clearly a case of keeping accessible windows closed and locked.

Poppy9560

31-07-2010 06:31 PM

reading this and the thread about the lady who had her bag stolen in HOP made me ask are the SNT still posting on this forum?

shzl400

31-07-2010 06:46 PM

House opposite ours was burgled last week. The owners were in at the time. Ironically, we were abroad on holiday.

Honor Oak Bloke

25-08-2010 01:19 PM

A very belated addittion to this thread...

I wanted to say how pleased I was with the response of the police. We called up on the monday evening and on wednesday we were visited by two friendly local Bobbies who took a good look and asked all the logical questions and showed a genuine interest. I believe they also visited the neighbours and took notes throughout.

We also had the fingerprint team visit the next day to take samples from the window frames concerned, and then a letter was sent to us shortly afterwards explaining what options we might have in terms of preventative measures as well as victim support information and feedback we might want to give.

All in all it was a really positive and reassuring visit to have had and one I thought was worth sharing as its not always represented as being the case but often its only the negative side you hear.

HOB

Merlin

25-08-2010 01:50 PM

To be honest, being visited 2 or 3 days later isn't really positive news!

There was a leaflet drop about burglaries in Tyson Road yesterday which probably indicates a spate of them locally. Thumbdown

Honor Oak Bloke

25-08-2010 09:22 PM

To be honest I didnt expect a visit at all given that no one actually got into our house so I think it is positive. Low expectations perhaps but even so I was pleased with the response.

HOB

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Attempted break in - between Forest Hill and Honor Oak e.steph19 0 2,530 02-08-2022 03:48 PM
Last Post: e.steph19
  Burglary in Hawkesfield Rd prompts police to issue warning hillview 0 3,375 08-09-2018 02:34 PM
Last Post: hillview
  Attempted burglary – Devonshire Road GazS 0 3,535 19-02-2013 12:41 PM
Last Post: GazS
  burglary honor oak park EDjules 1 4,870 16-01-2013 12:26 PM
Last Post: JGT
  Warning to Residents on Honor Oak Road malcs 8 11,779 10-08-2010 06:58 AM
Last Post: Merlin