SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
10 reasons not to emulate East Dulwich
hilltopgeneral

07-01-2008 10:09 AM

#1. Blue Mountain Cafe

Made the mistake of allowing myself to be talked into giving this place another chance on the weekend. At least I now know my original judgement was correct.

I'm not sure I could even dignify it by labelling it 'style over substance'. The food was overpriced. The cup of tea that was included in the breakfast took about 15 minutes to arrive. My companion asked for her herbal tea to be topped up with a little more hot water. This it was, but rather than bring it back to the table it was left on the service counter for another 5 minutes or so until she gave up and went to retrieve it herself.

The rest of the breakfast then took about another 20-25 minutes to arrive, by which time what I hadn't drunk of the tea was pretty tepid. A skin had formed on the beans and the eggs were cold.

The staff were charmless and incompetent, standing around talking by the counter while the service went to ****. There seemed to be no recognition of any problem and their attitude was surly before you had even ventured any sort of complaint.

Don't even think of wasting your time and money there.

Over to you...

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pompom

07-01-2008 10:54 AM

I can't agree with you more.We have had several encounters of BAD customer service from this place. After our last visit we now know that We will not be going to this place again. The customer service at this place is incredibly POOR. We have to wait atleast a good half an hour before we are given the menus to order anything while the lazy teenage staff wait by the counter happily gossiping away. They avoid any sort of eye contact ( I dont know why) when it is so obvious you are waiting for their attention to order something. There is also a serious lack of manners from the staff .. There were two ladies waiting by the door for a table , when they were finally seated the waiter who was the same useless boy who served us approches their table after a good half an hour and asks ''want the menus?''. We were completely appalled by the overall attitude of the staff and service, not to mention the rediculous waiting time. They need to be more customer oriented and LEARN some MANNERS.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

07-01-2008 02:03 PM

Hope I'm allowed to chip in...

#2. Mini-Supermarket Make-Overs

Small supermarket gets a makeover and looks great but is still rubbish in terms of product line, staffing, layout etc.

Whoops. Too late.

thenutfield

07-01-2008 10:06 PM

#3. Foxtons

michael

08-01-2008 08:24 AM

#4. Tube line

I can't find East Dulwich on the tube map!

ana

08-01-2008 09:57 AM

5#. East Dulwich luvvie attitude, it's still within spitting distance of Peckham, West Dulwich...now that's another story!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Elizabeth25

08-01-2008 10:18 AM

#6 We have the views, they have the valley

baggydave

09-01-2008 10:44 PM

You lot are just jealous as there are shops that you actually want to visit, decent bars (OK the pubs are all formulaic, but we have some of those ourselves), some great stalls on North Cross Road, in particular the deli there, some great charity shops, curry houses, the Cheese Block, organic butcher and green grocer, etc etc. And it is not on the tube, and I still don't understand why everyone here is so excited. (Oh I forgot, house prices, how shallow). As much as I hate Foxtons, they have gone for it.

On the downside is the Dulwich village ripples, rah rahs (haven't used that term for some time), loss of the glass shop, house prices, and still a little shabby in part.

Best of all, something that we can all appreciate, is that it is not Bromley.

See the thread on 'Dulwich Ripples' which I assume is in the archive.

BD - nothing half hearted

thenutfield

10-01-2008 11:10 PM

thanks a lot BD - I was enjoying this thread 'till you made me all self aware and uncomfy with my east dulwich envy!

tn- struggling to be content in SE23

leopold

11-01-2008 11:14 PM

Excuse my naitivete, but may I ask: what is this big deal about East Dulwich? East Dulwich has facilities that Foest Hill lacks, and is only a 5 minute bus journey away. Its proximity is surely one more good thing about Forest Hill.

I speak as someone who has only just discovered Forest Hill (and ED) on a trip to the Horminan last year, but who was so taken with it that I have in mind to move t/here when that becomes possible (I am currently stuck in North London due to subsidence). (That's why I'm on this talkboard)

It seems to me that to have the views (and the Horniman) on one's doorstep, and yet have Dulwich Park and East Dulwich so close by, is the best of both worlds (better than living in ED actually, since I for one probably wouldn't bother travelling up the hill just for the views, and my quality of life would surely suffer subtly but significantly thereby (but maybe I'm just lazy...))

BTW What's this Honor Oak Park like then? Never been there.

baggydave

11-01-2008 11:25 PM

My issue was that this thread seemed to be HTG's soapbox to have a go at the Blue Mountain Cafe. Rather than enjoy some mocking of our upmarket wannabe cousins. Don't think that living in our glass house we are in a good position to throw stones! Trouble is that those out there with aspirations of living in SE22 but can't afford to are now moving into our manor.

Interestingly HTG has some friends in high places: http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/arti...ture.shtml

BD - 100% quality assured postings

baggydave

01-11-2008 09:01 PM

See in a separate posting that the credit crunch has not hit Lordship Lane. But bally hell what on earth has happened to Somerfield? OK so you don't go shopping in East Dulwich to get your staples, but even so it seemed to have a bit of class a year or so ago. Dreadful today. Checked out some pretentious discussion on the East Dulwich site about supermarkets, So I suppose another reason not to emulate the place is the gentrification.

Cannon

24-11-2008 11:31 AM
baggydave

24-11-2008 11:17 PM

Please tough kids from East Dulwich, it wasn't my fault, it was that naughty HTG that started it, I'll tell you where he lives if you let me join your gang.

Actually, we're the tough kids so see you at the Grove Tavern for a ruck.

PVP

25-11-2008 10:54 AM

Challange them to a fight outside the Harvester, they could never bring their organic tofu little souls to go there!

baggydave

27-11-2008 08:24 PM

Witg all the talk about who will be attracted by Forest Hill Centraal can BD be the first to say that he would rather Yuppies move to East Dulwich. There are plenty of characterless bars there for them and their new fangled life styles.

BD - He taught John Gaunt a trick or two.

Michael Palaeologus

28-11-2008 11:23 AM

Greetings from the East Dulwich Forum brothers and sisters.

Why dont you come and meet us at our next ED Forum drinks?

Friday 5/12 at the Wishing Well pub in Bellenden about 8pm onwards.

Smile

psyche9

29-11-2008 07:49 AM

I like East Dulwich and Honor Oak
and my own dear Crofton Park,
and Sydenham and Crystal Palace
and Catford and
downtown Lewisham.

Surely it is lovely to get on a bus and go to these interesting places? We could all be living in the countryside, trailing through muddy fields to get to a solitary 'Spar' and about-to-close rural post office.

roz

07-12-2008 08:56 PM

Went to Lordship Lane yesterday and found no signs of the credit crunch. There was a wine shop promoting champagne tasting, Mrs Robinson was full of people purchasing expensive knick knacks( I was looking through the window BTW- from the outside in) - and William Rose butchers had a queue stretching round the block.

Is the butchers really that good? What can you get there that you can't get in Somerfield/Sainsburys?

I have to say that sometimes, for the feel good factor alone, it would be nice to have that sort of economic well being on your doorstep as opposed to more and more empty shops. Other than that I think the rather snooty people would drive me round the bend. I do remember it from 20 years ago when it was not so salubrious and you'd have been lucky to find a kebab shop open.

dita-on-tees

08-12-2008 12:55 PM

William Rose is ok, I wouldnt queue for more than 20 mins to shop there. The butchers in Wood Vale is as good, possibly better, I bought some great lamb there, ditto for the butchers just off Brockley Rise. Both are really friendly and very helpful. I think the good people of East Dulwich have just got a bit excited at having a "traditional" butcher. In saying that it gets a bit of criticism on the East Dulwich Forum for being a bit sniffy.
Personally I miss the butchers from my home town where the meat was locally sourced and had photos of the bovine stock on the wall!

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  East Dulwich Forum christgill 2 5,406 15-03-2020 11:54 AM
Last Post: samuelsen
  East Dulwich Picture House robin orton 1 4,276 31-05-2015 09:54 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Fatal shooting in East Dulwich billham 8 10,760 09-03-2009 08:44 PM
Last Post: Bonnie Blue
  Foxtons, East Dulwich admin 28 34,573 01-11-2008 08:50 PM