SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Child-friendly Destinations on the ELL
jeje

02-06-2010 09:25 AM

It's half-term and I have a four-year-old and a two-year-old to entertain. Just wondering what new possibilities of interesting/entertaining, child-friendly destinations the new East London Line opens up? I don't know that part of London very well but a single rail journey, especially with the lovely new lifts at our station, now makes it very attractive. Any suggestions for museums, parks, etc?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
seeformiles

02-06-2010 10:43 AM

Hi,
if you look on the 'beyond se23' section, there is a thread called 'Things to do along the ELL' which includes child-friendly destinations.

jeje

02-06-2010 11:15 AM

Fantastic, just what I was after! Thanks, seeformiles.

nasaroc

02-06-2010 12:52 PM

There are two farms which childrens will love - Surrey Docks City Farm, accessible from Surrey Quays station - there's a pleasant walk traffic free walk down the right hand side of the shopping centre and along the edge of Greenland Dock to reach it.

http://www.surreydocksfarm.org.uk/

and Hackney City Farm. Turn left out of Hoxton Station and walk along Dunloe St which is quite a quiet road. I was up there on Sunday. Large farm with scores of animals and a great cafe. Feeding time (for the animals!) around 4.30pm. If you want to extend your visit, walk north through Haggerston Park (Green Flag status) then along the tow path of the Regents Canal to Hoxton.

http://www.surreydocksfarm.org.uk/

Please note - both farms closed on Monday.

nasaroc

02-06-2010 12:54 PM

Sorry - if you extend your walk you end up at Haggerston not Hoxton!

jeje

02-06-2010 07:27 PM

Wonderful that there are so many city farms within such easy reach suddenly - thanks, nasaroc! I like Mudchute (lovely cafe), but the journey of bus to Lewisham and then change to DLR I have always found too daunting to do on my own with two small children.

By the way, I don't suppose you could recommend which of the city farms mentioned has the best cafe? My sons will be impressed by any piglet, so a really good cappucino will swing it for me!

rmurraywest

02-06-2010 07:42 PM

we went to the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood on Monday. You can walk it from Shoreditch, which has step free access, though Whitechapel is nearer (steps). It was superb. My nearly three year old had a ball, and the baby enjoyed it too. Great interactive stuff, and an indoor sandpit. What more can you ask (reasonable cafe too, though nothing fantastic)

roz

04-06-2010 10:26 AM

Just to let people know that its actually difficult to get into the Geffrye Museum with a twin side by side buggy. The so called wheelchair access is barely that. It was hard for us to get our buggy into the lift and guess what totally impossible to get the buggy into the main doors into the disabled toilet and changing area. Getting round most of the museum is also difficult due to the layout and we did get the wholesale feeling that children even the well behaved variety weren't welcome. Our buggy is less than the 800mm width required for wheelchair access yet the width in most cases is not even that and some of the doors open awkwardly so as to make it impossible in any case. I think people should be fully aware that some so called family friendly places or even DDA compliant places are not what they seem.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields