SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Things to do along the ELL
Jon Lloyd

24-05-2010 08:17 PM

This is Southlonder's idea, not mine, but a great one. Please add any suggestions for things to visit/see/do along the whole of the ELL. We've been started with:

Ridley Road market at Dalston - 2 mins from Dalston station

Brick Lane and Columbia Flower Market (anyone know which stop?)

Spitalfields market is apparently only a few mins walk form Shoreditch High Street

Geffrye Museum - Hoxton

Any ideas for what to do with restless 18-month-olds also welcome, or any kids too I guess.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
oryx

24-05-2010 08:22 PM

Croydon (via West Croydon) is fantastic for clothes and cosmetics shopping.

nevermodern

24-05-2010 10:24 PM

I went to Wapping over the weekend. Was a real eye-opener. Wapping High Street: renovated victorian warehouses, lovely pocket parks, three victorian pubs, all with riverside gardens. And best of all, the Wapping project. Bar and fine dining, vitra chairs, all stuck in the middle of the original power station mechanics, backed off with an exhibition space, with a greenhouse for a bookshop at the front.

I should also note that there's a cute little beach, accessible by old stone steps. People were sunbathing, throwing sticks to their dogs.

Well worth it, folks Smile

kingkong

25-05-2010 09:35 AM

My friend Zoe and I went to Spitalfields City Farm a few weeks ago with our kids, a 2 year old and a 9 month old. Really quick train ride to Whitechapel, and then a 5 minute walk from the station. My daughter loved wandering around the farm and looking at all the animals. We walked up Brick lane, grabbed some lunch by the Truman brewery, bought some bagels, and got the train back from Shoreditch High Street.

This was before the full service opened and it was easy enough, I'm sure it is much easier now. The lack of step free access was a bit of a pain with buggies at Whitechapel, but there were enough staff on hand to help out.

It was a very pleasant day out, we left at 1045 and were back home for nap time by 230pm.

rbmartin

25-05-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:
Brick Lane and Columbia Flower Market (anyone know which stop?)

Brick Lane - Shoreditch High Street.

Columbia Flower Market - Hoxton.

For city farm lovers, visit Surrey Docks Farm which is approx 5 mins walk from Surrey Quays tube and 10 mins from Canada Water.

shzl400

25-05-2010 06:36 PM

Farm lovers, your cup overfloweth! Going the other way there is Capel Manor farm in Crystal Palace park. It's not huge, but we had a great time there a couple of weeks ago. They have a timetable of "handling" sessions where the keepers get the animals out for you to touch/feed. They have quite a few reptiles/amphibians/fish, as well as furry stuff and farm animals. The corn snake was good, but I drew the line at the giant African land snail (I noted that the keeper was wearing a latex glove!)

Jon Lloyd

26-05-2010 09:18 PM

Muss says: Just occurred to me that FH/HOP now have direct access to a multiplex cinema in Surrey Quays.

Baboonery

28-05-2010 10:55 AM

The Mangal 1 Ocakbasi on Arcola Street, Dalston, just up the road from Junction, is highly recommended by both me and Rick Stein. Lots of meat, done over open charcoal, lots of salad, BYO. Excellent (though I agree with some who lament the price increases since they expanded the place a while back).

As a former Haringey resident, I do miss Turkish food.

Cellar Door

28-05-2010 11:31 AM

I wonder if those North of the River are aghast at the sudden surge of us great unwashed from South of the River?

They are probably looking down from their converted warehouses, sipping their latte-macchiato-chococcinos and whispering snidely to each other…

"Oh, Yes. As expected. Here they come. For their innocent day-trips for our cool cafés and swish restaurants. But they'll be back...and in greater numbers. And they'll want to buy our properties and take our jobs! Good grief...CLOSE THE THAMES TUNNEL!!!!!"

Let's not spook them or else we'll be forced into Sangatte style refugee camps at Rotherhithe.

michael

28-05-2010 11:38 AM

This weekend sees the start of Brockley Max arts festival.
Details can be found on:
http://www.brockleymax.co.uk/
http://brockleycentral.blogspot.com/
http://londonist.com/2010/05/preview_brockley_max.php

seeformiles

28-05-2010 01:14 PM

Copied from other thread 'cos it belongs here really.

I took the Overground to the Geffrye Museum yesterday and it was so quick! I think I got to Hoxton in 17 minutes if I'm not mistaken. I used to study nearby and remember getting stuck for ages on the 149 bus out of London Bridge - often the journey from Forest Hill would take over an hour.

Hoxton station also takes you to the nearby Troy Cafe on Kingsland road, which I highly recommend.

Ghis

28-05-2010 03:25 PM

Check this out, ELL, The Culture Line:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle/...re-line.do

sandy

28-05-2010 03:45 PM

Cellar Door

More likely we'll have to keep the hordes at bay - quick journeys to all those cultural high spots + green environment, cheaper housing, more space...our South London secret will be out

Baboonery

28-05-2010 04:16 PM

Diamond Geezer has recently done a series of Things to do along the ELL posts.

Cellar Door

28-05-2010 04:53 PM

sandy wrote:
More likely we'll have to keep the hordes at bay...

Agreed. Those North of the River types will be running through the Thames Tunnel dodging the London Overground just to get a bit of the SE23 good life. They make me livid.

OK. Let's get into action. First step is to set-up a Check Point at the Rotherhithe end of the Thames Tunnel. No entry unless you can show Lewisham Council Tax receipts.

squashst

28-05-2010 06:18 PM

There is apparently an increased footfall of visitors to Penge Hight St (one of the undiscovered gems of south east London

rbmartin

28-05-2010 07:21 PM

In that case Penge West has more than the normal 5 people who use it off-peak! Wink

TfL have produced a leaflet called "Up and Running" which suggests venues for passengers to visit along the line.

West Croydon - Fairfield Halls.
Norwood Junction - South Norwood Lake
Anerley - South Norwood Country Park
Penge West and Crystal Palace - The park
Sydenham - Mayow Park
Forest Hill - No surprise, it's Horniman Museum and Gardens!
HOP - One Tree Hill
Brockley - Rivoli Ballroom
NX/NXG - Telegraph Hill
Surrey Quays - Greenland Dock
Canada Water - Stave Hill
Rotherhithe - Brunel Museum
Wapping - Wapping Old Stairs
Shadwell - Shadwell Basin Outdoor Activity Centre
Whitechapel - Whitechapel Art Gallery
Shoreditch High Street - Brick Lane Market
Hoxton - Columbia Flower Market
Haggerston - Geffrye Museum
Dalston Junction - Ridley Road Market.

Dylan

29-05-2010 08:32 AM

did you all see Liz Hoggard's cover of the ELL in the Evening Standard last night?? featuring of course the Horniman and Crystal Palace Museums.

rbmartin

29-05-2010 10:24 AM

Ghis has posted a link to the Standard article in this thread.

sandy

30-05-2010 08:43 PM

Well, as predicted, only one week after the start of the full LO service, a visitor from Dalston has been spotted. The invasion has started...

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields