SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Honor Oak House Hunting
mrcee

19-05-2010 02:41 PM

Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and also a newbie to South of the river. I recently stumbled upon Honor Oak which looks very nice however I was wondering whether anyone can help me with what the areas like to live in?

Are there any streets to avoid? I have seen a house on Garthone Road is this an ok area to look at? I know I can look at rightmove however if anyone knows the 'real price' a 3bed victorian house is worth?

I have noticed a lot of the houses are victorian and we are moving from a 1930's is there much difference in terms of noise etc?

Apologies for bombarding my first post with lots of questions, I am sure you were all there once Smile

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Southlonder

19-05-2010 05:05 PM

Garthorne road is arguably one of the best road to live on in that it backs onto a nature reserve which means the back of the gardens is woodland and completely private. I bought a house on this road last year

Lots of other good streets though, anything around Garthorne is good all the stock is of a good quality

Ghis

19-05-2010 05:09 PM

It is a nice area and easy walk to HOP station and parade of shop. I would really recommend moving to HOP. We bought our house in the area 5 years ago around the corner and love the area. We used to rent on the other side of the track in Forest Hill for 2 years prior to buying.

mrcee

19-05-2010 09:40 PM

Thanks for getting back to me, it confirms what i thought Honor Oak seems the place to be, we have also seen a house on gabriel street but just wondering whether its too close to high street

roadie

20-05-2010 08:33 AM

Another thumbs up for Honor oak. We've been in hop for five years, two of which just off Garthorne road. It is a very pleasant, quiet and safe area, with a great community spirit on our street... The only thing that keeps us awake at night is the Foxes crying outside!!

For us, HoP is great as you obviously have the high street and restaurants, but it is equidistant to Forest Hill and Crofton Park/Brockley, which opens up an extra few nice places to go out in the evening. We even walked home last night from a drink in Dulwich Village, through Dulwich Park, along Wood vale and One Tree Hill. It was really rather nice to be able to do that! Good times certainly ahead for HoP :-)

Good luck with the house hunt

NewForester

20-05-2010 01:15 PM

Nothing wrong with either Garthorne Rd or Gabriel Street - hard to beast if you are looking for convenience to the station.

If you are after views across London, then the Tewkesbury Lodge estate (basically the houses bounded by Wood Vale, London Road, Forest Hill Road and Honor Oak Road). On the western side you have views covering Wembley to the Gherkin; on the eastern you have views across the flood plain

Victorian houses tend to be draftier than 1930's houses, but have more space. Not sure about noise.

shzl400

20-05-2010 03:35 PM

Whilst the Tewkesbury Estate is very nice, it is really quite pricey. You'll find more reasonably priced property with similar advantages, on the opposite site of Honor Oak Road, on Devonshire Road and the roads off it - Boveney (incl. Hengrave) Dunoon, Tyson, Benson, Ewelme

Ghis

20-05-2010 04:36 PM

And the area around Blythe Hill Park is lovely as well.

mrcee

20-05-2010 05:02 PM

Thanks everyone, definately got a good vibe in the area so now just need to find the right house. Hopefully with HIPS going today a few more will come up before summer.

Hawkesrah

20-05-2010 06:38 PM

MrCee I have delivered leaflets in SE23 for years and the usual rule of thumb for trouble is council estates of which I dont think there are any in the Garthorne Road area. I think Garthorne is better than Gabriel though.

sandy

20-05-2010 09:01 PM

"the usual rule of thumb for trouble is council estates" - where do I begin in challenging the assumptions in this statement...

oryx

21-05-2010 09:11 PM

Don't know where you'd begin, but you're not alone in thinking that!

mrcee

22-05-2010 05:31 AM

Hi All, thanks for your help, we have seen something we like on Gabriel street (bit more than we were looking to spend for type of house but seems going rate )

Tinkerbell

23-05-2010 07:10 PM

In that case - welcome to Gabriel Street! Thumbup

Redalways

28-05-2010 07:25 PM

We moved from Herne Hill 10 years ago.

HOP is a real community and being smaller than Forest Hill has (in my humble view) more of a community feel than FH.

Merlin

29-05-2010 07:59 AM

I live in Tyson, a sign in Devonshire tells me it is equal distance to HOP and FH (stations probably) where do I belong? am I a hopper or a hiller? Confused decisions, decisions .......

Ghis

29-05-2010 08:04 AM

Where do you spend more time? HOP parade or Forest Hill shops? Which train do you catch?

Merlin

29-05-2010 08:21 AM

I use both because each offers different things! Lived in the area since childhood and went to Dalmain primary - so maybe my core is Brockley Rise?!?!?! Thanks for adding another location into my eclectic SE23 mix Smile

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Police hunting Honor Oak Road sex attacker hillview 4 15,504 25-06-2018 04:07 PM
Last Post: hillview
  9 house-hunting hotspots you'll want to invest in NOW! michael 5 8,173 15-09-2015 01:30 PM
Last Post: sydenhamcentral