SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Fire at Horniman Triangle Cafe
petersutton01

18-05-2010 08:48 PM

Has anyone else seen that the cafe in the Triangle is alight? I have just called the Fire service. I hope they get there before any serious damage occurs! How sad Sad

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

19-05-2010 07:05 AM

How is it looking today? I hope everything is okay.

petersutton01

19-05-2010 07:13 AM

I've just been past on the bus and it looks like the retractable sun shade and possibly a bin were set alight. Highly suspicious of arson if nothing inside was damaged surely.

Red67

19-05-2010 08:42 AM

Awful, but it doesn't surprise me...this is the scond time the fire brigade has been called to a fire in the park in the last few weeks. Last time, some idiots left the remains of a still-lit bbq on the grass near the hedge (Syd Rise side) and by 10pm it was a big blaze.... Great, thanks!

All well and good reviving the facilities in the park (which many and various councillors took credit for) but no good if the fences are not maintained and there is no consistent managing/patrolling of the area (apart from a bit of cursory sand raking by Glendale).
And we hardly ever see the Forest Hill SNT up here....

Hope this is addressed before the new loos (if they survive LBL budget cuts) are in place........

michael

19-05-2010 10:34 AM

Apparently it was almost certainly arson and the roof was completely destroyed. Mad

Hopefully the cafe will be able to reopen as soon as possible. This is a great feature of this wonderful play park that has visitors from across South London.

petersutton01

19-05-2010 02:34 PM

Ah how sad. I hope they get it fixed and open again soon enough. Its my favourite place for a quick cup of tea when i dont fancy the noise of the horniman gardens cafe!

Whilst i'm ranting, I hate the use of bbq's in there....why would anyone be selfish enough to use one if its going to leave a huge black scorch mark on the grass.....not to mention those who dont bother putting them out properly. Seems that despite the fact that Forest Hill is receiving a decent amount of attention at long last, some people are intent on ruining it for everyone.

Londondrz

20-05-2010 12:31 PM

I took the kids to the Beach yesterday and was keen to get an ice cream for us all until we rounded the corner of the hut to see council officials standing there looking at the damage. The awning has been destroyed and there is a good bit of damage to the roof although it has not been destroyed.

It's arson and if I ever catch the little toe rags who did it I will take great delight in taking away their Playstations, X Boxes and other bits and bobs they hold dear and giving them to a deserving home.

I was hacked off and my kids were really dissapointed as you can imagine.Sneaky

Red67

20-05-2010 12:56 PM

Apparently, it was indeed a rather determined arson attempt - they set light to a bin which had been hauled onto the roof!! Police took loads of photos and details of the aftermath. but whether it will lead to anything.....??

Residents living near the park are in the process of contacting the Council (and Glendale) AGAIN to insist that proper maintenance of the park fence is carried out - sections are continually being flattened down after inadequate repair, allowing undesirables into the park at night. ..
If anyone else would like to express their concerns about this to LBL/cllrs/SNT (or are they looking at this??!!) it might help in at least getting a proper review of how the park needs managing to stop this happening again.
I can't imagine that the cafe owners are too happy at losing business in what is going to be a run of nice warm sunny days this week, and as the provision of new play equipment and park revamping was splashed all over the election leaflets of various political parties, one would think there might be an incentive to protect and maintain that investment..... or maybe not?

michael

15-06-2010 12:37 PM

I'm told that the cafe reopened last weekend, which is great news. I haven't had a chance to go down there myself yet.

petersutton01

15-06-2010 04:40 PM

Typically, some little so-and-so has taken the opportunity of the security fencing around the cafe to use it as a make shift ladder and spray graffiti all over the remaining bit of roof! What is it with these people?!

michael

22-06-2010 12:12 PM

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Vote for the Horniman Triangle michael 1 4,247 12-10-2015 12:08 PM
Last Post: michael
  Horniman triangle Mondella 0 3,601 23-09-2014 03:24 PM
Last Post: Mondella
  Lost: Silver Arrowhead Pendant in the Horniman's Triangle Play Park. Sentimental. ScottishAngel 0 3,003 14-10-2012 04:55 PM
Last Post: ScottishAngel
  Homeless lady in Horniman Triangle Novels 29 30,037 19-06-2011 05:36 PM
Last Post: Perryman
  Horniman Triangle Play Park scipio 163 166,397 11-02-2010 09:01 PM
Last Post: philip
  Horniman Triangle Coffee Shop Airguitarman 1 5,091 02-04-2009 10:02 PM
Last Post: michael