SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »
Trust A Tory - Your Having A Bubble
Ex FH Pat

14-05-2010 08:30 AM

So after putting up numerous posters and bleating on in their manifesto about Labours propsed 1% increase in National Insurance, the Tories do a complete u turn and say this will remain in place, this is after 1 day in office, so as I said before, they are a untrustworthy bunch of liars, all they care about is the rich, so if you like them are an Old Etonian multi millionaire with an offshore bank account, then you will prosper and do well under this Government

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbboy

14-05-2010 09:12 AM

So where has this been published?

Ex FH Pat

14-05-2010 09:17 AM

Which part to you mean, if the part is about them doing a u turn, it was in the papers yesterday and is on the BBC wegpage

Ciej

14-05-2010 11:49 AM

My understanding was that they agreed to drop it so as to focus on the Lib Dem policy of increasing the personal allowance for low and mid earners. Which is hardly a U-turn...

I am all for Tory bashing, but we do need to respect the facts.

nevermodern

14-05-2010 11:53 AM

Haven't they just gone ahead with the employEE rise? They're still reversing the employER rise. Which was their point, wasn't it? "Tax on jobs" etc. No fan of the Tories, but not really a U-turn.

Now just wait for the VAT rise 'they had no plans for' Smile

Ex FH Pat

14-05-2010 12:07 PM

Both true, yet the way sone people read it , it meant that they would stop it for all, no doubt, with the personel allowance increasing, most wont be the much worse off

Do think that VAT is going to go up very high, also there will be major cuts

Snazy

14-05-2010 12:13 PM

No u-turn at all as already said. Just clarification of their intentions, which lets be honest would be expected all along.

YES of course there will be a sharp rise in VAT, but then there is a gap to fill from months and months of an almost pointless fall a while back. Let alone a massive blackhole of cash to fill.

Ever unpopular the tories are now the ones charged with the duty of starting to pay back all the over borrowing. So yes, in short we are in for a bloody rough few years.... But nothing compared to some countries.

Im sure many more unpopular things will happen relating to the public and finances, but im sure some positive things will happen too.

Its all about the bigger picture Wink

Fandango

14-05-2010 12:34 PM

They're cutting XYZ, blah blah blah.... *cry

Face the facts people. If Labour were still in power, they would be making the cuts.

It turns out Mr "Prudent" Brown wasn't so "prudent" as he stated in every budget he oversaw as chancellor. Now we sadly all have to pay.

Suck it up and move on.

Ex FH Pat

14-05-2010 12:59 PM

I dont recall saying that we dont have some bad medicine to take, I was just trying to state that some people got sucked into voting Tory as they thought they would stop the 1% National Insurance rise in April 2011, I know of a young woman where I work who quoted " I only voted Tory because they said they would stop it" when as pointed out, they sai lets stop the jobs tax

Only a fool would believe that there will be no cuts and more than likely tax rises, yet from what I have read, it appears that the tax rises may be on vat and not on income tax as we may be [ well those who earn under £43k a year ] be getting a rise in out peronel tax allowance to sweeten the NI rise

nevermodern

14-05-2010 01:09 PM

Don't be so patronising, fandango.

Ex FH Pat

14-05-2010 01:26 PM

I never knew there were so many true blue tories in FH and Lewisham, strange that they got murdered in the local elections

You blue boys and girls should come and live in always Blue Wandsworth where there are even 2 Tory MPS, even Battersea which used to be a hotbed of revolution has voted in a Tory as their MP

shzl400

14-05-2010 03:06 PM

Wish I could afford to ExFHPat! Hmmm, maybe there's something there - Tory MP = high house prices or is it posh houses attract Tory voters? Chicken or egg?

Actually, nevermodern, I think Fandango has got it spot on - not patronising at all. No one should be at all surprised that there's going to be substantial pain coming, which no party mentioned in their manifesto.

Every Labour supporter says "remember Thatcher" - but I remember that she managed to dig this country out of the hole that the Labour party had got it into. No, it wasn't pleasant, and there were winners and losers, but the country was in much better shape at the end of it.

The man I admire the most, however, is Tony Blair for milking the country for all it was worth during the good times and the most impeccable timing on handing over to poor old Gordon Brown, just as it was about to go spectacularly **** up.

nevermodern

14-05-2010 03:19 PM

But no-one's said there isn't pain coming. Who's arguing otherwise? That was what was patronising - suggesting we're all children who think we can avoid the pain. The difference is in left-of centre parties who want raise taxes in largely progressive ways where the poor pay the least relatively, and a tory party who wanted to raise taxes regressively by raising VAT and cutting inheritance tax.

Besides, our finances are in no worse state than most other countries. In fact, our debt to GDP ration is actually rather good in comparison. Again, it's whether slash and burn in poor areas like the North East, Wales and Nothern Ireland (guess who?) or you share the pain equally.

And let's not go back to Thatcher. Let's judge them on who they are now.

roz

14-05-2010 03:54 PM

Lets not go back to Thatcher. Please, lets not.
But please also do not delude ourselves that her influence was merely 'unpleasant' and the country was in 'better shape' because of it''. What part of the Cayman Islands were you living in at the time, shzl400?

I noticed that the Labour Party managed to recruit over 4000 new members the evening Cameron moved into no 10. Telling or not?

Its early days, but it seems that the coalition are making the usual mistake of new parties in power of trying to do too much at once and forgetting the promises they made pre election. Pic n'mix anyone?

shzl400

14-05-2010 08:24 PM

Knew Roz'd join in sooner or later.

Does begin with a C, but Camberwell, actually.

Ex FH Pat

17-05-2010 07:45 AM

Yes I understand about being able to afford property in Wandsworth, luckily I purchased my 3 bedroom flat in 1997 for £59k, now its worth £260k, crazy, suppose it may be because we are so centre, its easy to get anywhere from where i am

Anyway back to the original post, I have heard that VAT may go up to 25%, yes we all knew this was coming, think i did maybe jump the gun accusing the tories of a u turn when they did state lets stop this jobs tax

Sometimes I do believe that maybe the Tories are better at looking after finances

Snazy

17-05-2010 09:07 AM

VAT is going up you can be definatly sure of that.
I would expect 21-22%. Reasoning is simple, there was a long period of 15% which created a slight hole which needs plugging. So to securely fill any hole the plug needs to be oversized.

The decrease was meant to encourage spending, although im not sure it helped quite as much as planned, other than for those buying new cars or building extensions etc. However it still reduced "income" for the government, so has created a short fall.

In the long term i honestly dont see it being all doom and gloom. Given all the recent back tracking and manifestos from all im not driven by parties, more by the people in positions of power and their intentions. In the short term I think the outcome will be good.

22nd June, here we come!

jon14

17-05-2010 09:11 AM

Roz wrote:
I noticed that the Labour Party managed to recruit over 4000 new members the evening Cameron moved into no 10. Telling or not?

Probably not, actually. It's 0.05 per cent of the people who voted Liberal Democrat, or 0.1 per cent of the people that voted.

Ex FH Pat

17-05-2010 09:13 AM

Snazy - you may well be correct

I for one have slagged the tories off, judging them with Thatcher, yet I dont think they could be like she was, surely ??

Lets sit back and see what happens as there is talk of upping the personal tax allowances, so maybe we will be a little bit better off

Crazy idea - however wonder if this one would work ,pay no tax at all, yet make vat or a local tax of 30%, so that way you only pay on things you purchase, believe they have some sort of local tax in USA

Snazy

17-05-2010 09:25 AM

They have state taxes in the USA but mainly because of the way the states operate, as independent countries to the rest.

As for the Thatcher bit, im not even gonna say anything positive about her reign as im sure I will get shot to pieces, but it was not all doom and gloom. Similar scenario to the one we are in now though.

Somehow I think Nick David and George are all just going to go down in history as the ones that cut spending and raised taxes, and the recession will become a thing of the past.

Lets see what June 22nd brings. I would not get too excited about the rise in allowance as its probably going to be staggered and also taken back with the other hand with a raise in taxes etc.

Fuel price levelling is interesting to me, depending where the level is set.
Looking forwards to benefit claimers being asked to give something back for their money, and also a cut in funding for roadside yellow money boxes.

Pages (4): « First [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields