SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Bread thread
Fandango

05-05-2010 02:16 PM

Sainsburys in Sydenham will also sell fresh yeast from the bakery. Just have to ask.

I doubt very much that the Sainsburys in FH will sell any as they don't have an on-site bakery.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ivor

05-05-2010 03:34 PM

Thanks for the yeast tips. I bought some fresh yeast today at Hurst bakery on Lordship Lane (near the cookshop and ED Deli) £1.60 for 100g.[/u]

Applespider

05-05-2010 08:50 PM

Good to know, ivor.

It's funny that you feel you are working up to trying sourdough whereas to me, the idea of using fresh yeast feels far more scary and more of a hassle. Blush

ivor

06-05-2010 09:07 AM

Applespider, I have never had a problem using fresh yeast as I love cooking and I see it as just another ingredient, albeit one that requires certain conditions to work properly. It is the responsibility of a starter that worries me - from its birth on your kitchen counter to its feeding and nurturing, finding a carer for holidays, nevermind the difficulty of finding a name for it. And what if it dies? Clearly I have commitment issues....

annsquire66

08-05-2010 08:07 PM

Thanks for the tip Ivor. The starters require too much forethought for me at the moment so I will come back to that once I've tried the 'same day' stuff. I have found a HFW soda bread recipe that doesn't look too scary so will let you all know how it turns out.Unsure

ivor

10-05-2010 07:47 PM

Hi Annsquire66, Good luck with the soda bread. And let us know how the sourdough goes, too, if you get there before me!

ivor

10-05-2010 07:57 PM

By the way, anyone following the recipe I posted for cinnamon buns might be confused by the fact that I have left the butter out of the 'cinnamon butter' bit of the recipe. It should be 80g of butter, divided into four portions, and then spread onto each portion of rolled dough, then sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Sorry for any confusion!

Applespider

10-05-2010 08:40 PM

Sorry, ivor, been away so haven't had a chance to reply to say that your commitment post made me giggle.

I'm just so the other way round. The knowledge that I've gone out and got fresh yeast that needs to be used, can be killed relatively easily and has fairly precise timing requirements makes me shake. Sammy (my starter - easy name since he's named after Sourdough Sam who is my NFL team's mascot) just needs taken out of the fridge and fed the night before before hibernating again.

This weekend, I'm at home so if the weather isn't great, I may give the yeasted stuff a try.

BT

14-05-2010 04:30 PM

Nice website run by Allinsons for all things baking.

http://www.bakingmad.com/

annsquire66

18-05-2010 04:03 PM

After a false start with the HFW soda bread recipe- brick anyone?- I've just made one using the recipe I found on the BBC food website. Scrummy- very happy Thumbsup
Will venture further into the world of breadmaking once I'm sure today's success wasn't a fluke Laugh

mandy_playbox

18-05-2010 06:42 PM

Hi all.

I bake bread fairly frequently. I've used sourdough starters and fresh yeast in the past, but now I just use the instant yeast from FH sainsbury's. I get delicious bread every time. I think this is the first time instant yeast has been mentioned in this thread - is it taboo or something?

ivor

18-05-2010 08:17 PM

Hello Mandy_playbox, I don't think dried yeast is taboo! I think we are all fairly new to baking bread on this thread and it's still a bit scary for us. I use fresh yeast because that's what's listed in all my recipes and I'm not sure about substituting dried for fresh yeast. Is there a ratio?

I will be starting sourdough this weekend so may be coming here for advice!

mandy_playbox

18-05-2010 08:34 PM

I don't follow any recipes - I make it up as I go along - so I'm not sure about ratios. But I use a sachet of instant yeast for 500g of flour (this is probably too much if you follow any rules, but it works fine for me).

BT

19-05-2010 07:22 AM

There is a significant difference between 'Instant' yeast and 'Dried' yeast..

Dried yeast is just that and needs to be reactivated before use and is only suitable for hand baking, as is fresh yeast.

'Instant' yeast is micro-encapsulated and is the only type really suitable for use in Bread making machines, although you can also use it for hand baking.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields