SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Election poster boards in front gardens
derbybill

22-04-2010 07:46 PM

There's a lot of these about, but watch your head if you are walking down Stondon Park as one of the Green posters cleared my head by just a few mm.
I know these are temporary boards, but they still present a hazard when they stick out over the public footway, which I am sure they should not.
Green Party posters look like they are made of something substantial, unlike estate agents boards made of corrugated plastic.
Has anyone spotted a blue one yet?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snazy

22-04-2010 07:52 PM

Seen massive ones for labour, not much for anyone else.
Not seen a blue one, but at the same time a vote is a private thing, so im not impressed by the signs. Used to them of course, but one has already been torn down by the Dulwich Plough.

robin orton

22-04-2010 09:06 PM

Snazy said:

Quote:
a vote is a private thing, so im not impressed by the signs.

Doesn't it add to the vitality of our democracy if people are prepared to make a public statement about their politics? (Like my wife, who's put up a poster, but in the window of her upstairs study, so that I can dissociate myself from it if I feel like it)

Sherwood

23-04-2010 06:03 AM

One window displaying a Conservative poster had a brick thrown through it. That may explain why you don't see many posters for the party in the lead according to the surveys.

BT

23-04-2010 06:20 AM
robin orton

23-04-2010 07:13 AM

Sherwood wrote:

Quote:
One window displaying a Conservative poster had a brick thrown through it.

Where and when was that then?

Snazy

23-04-2010 11:54 AM

Robin, I am not against them, and well done to anyone wishing to promote their vote. Posters are one thing but "for sale" style board look hidious, especially down roads with a high number of properties for sale too.

The whole window smashing thing is certainly something to take into consideration. Either way, putting a posted up does not sway votes, so as noble as it is, its pointless.

andrewr

23-04-2010 05:13 PM

If putting posters up doesn't sway votes, then why do political parties pay out so much for big poster sites? I am sure there are many swing voters who are keen to vote either for, or against the party they think is winning. If their local area is a sea of one colour then it will surely affect them.

Snazy

23-04-2010 07:00 PM

There is a slight difference between vast apparent "factual" advertising posters on paid for billboards, and window posters with a colour and name on them.

I have to say if swing voters vote based on the colour that surrounds them, maybe they should not bother voting at all.
A vote should be an educated decision, not because a party is your favorite colour, or you saw lots of posters for them lol.

Buy a burger because you saw an advert by all means, but vote with your mind please people.

Maybe this is how the country gets in such a mess all the timeConfused

roz

26-04-2010 11:48 AM

I'm a little confused by the orange Lib Dem boards as I thought they'd changed their corporate logo to yellow a while back?

Snazy

29-04-2010 12:16 PM

The other half said that too. I think its more to do with standing out. Yellow would fade pretty quickly, and not be as bold.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields