SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »
Sun readers
roz

11-04-2010 08:01 PM

[Moved from SE23 Topics > Horniman Museum & Gardens - admin]

Michael wrote:
If you were looking for free things to do in London what is the second place you would think of?
For The Sun it is the Horniman Museum - Good choice!

Good grief, are we now expected to share the Horniman with Sun readers?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vipes

12-04-2010 07:51 AM

What's your problem with Sun readers? Or was that ironic? If so how? Either way it stinks of snobbery.

vipes

12-04-2010 08:27 AM

What I should have said was either way it's snobbery and it stinks.

gingernuts

12-04-2010 06:04 PM

I think it was a joke - made me chuckle any way. Mainly because of the response - why are people so quick to be offended about nothing? If the charge was against Sunday Sport readers I'd understand the concern Laugh

roz

12-04-2010 08:30 PM

Surely you mean what's THE problem with Sun readers?
Unfortunately I have no sense of humour whatsoever, so it wasn't a joke.

dipsolala

12-04-2010 08:56 PM

Do tell us THE problem Roz

vipes

13-04-2010 06:41 AM

Yes but was the original post funny Gingernuts? Your post says more about you than Sun readers Roz

Baboonery

13-04-2010 09:05 AM

Given that this forum positively reeks with near-institutional snobbery re: shops on the high street, sans-serif signs thereon, satellite dishes in the ridiculous conservation area, the nature of housing being built in the area, the clientele of certain establishments that keep our high street going, etc, etc, I think having a go at Roz for what was obviously a tongue-in-cheek comment is absurd, frankly.

Herbert

13-04-2010 10:19 AM

I think somebody needs to take themselves a little less serious Vipes Laugh

ps the world needs Sun readers, who would clean our drains and take our rubbish otherwise?

vipes

13-04-2010 08:15 PM

Baboonery, it is probably absurd to single our Roz's post for the snobbery that does characterise this forum. For the same reason it was also possibly unfair, but the post was overt and hostile enough to wind me up into posting. I recall the Bird in Hand thread was the last time. But are you saying my criticism was absurd because Roz's post was tongue in cheek? Utterly irrelevant. If that's what you're saying you demolished your own important pionts.

As Herbert's post makes clear , 'Sun readers' is just less pejorative shorthand for working class 'proles' / 'oiks' / 'chavs' or whatever. My grasp of sociology is too simple to know why, but for some reason it remains funny to write ironic posts about having to share museums with this demographic but not any more, for example, with the target readership of 'The Voice' or 'Pink Paper'.

This is supposed be a neighbourhood forum for all the folk of SE23, not the "people like us" who live in SE23. There are reasons this forum has so many members yet so few posters and I'd be surprised if the snobbery you've noticed - and of which this post was a classic example - is not among them.

roz

13-04-2010 09:31 PM

I have to say I really like Mirror readers.

dipsolala

13-04-2010 09:53 PM

I found that perhaps Roz's original snipe at 'Sun readers' was possibly a 'joke' in some form, but subsequent posts make that highly unlikely.

I applaud people with a wider mind, who think beyond themselves and who are not repeatedly self serving (that may be tautology. Oops)

Read what you like, reading is mind opening!

roz

14-04-2010 08:56 AM

It was meant to be a joke, but I did enjoy the debate which followed so went along with it a little longer than I intended. Naughty of me I know but it is fun now and again to throw a virtual firework into the room sometimes and see what happens. Livens up a dull evening.

The point really is not to define people by what they read but to be concerned about what they are being fed by newspaper conglomerates and how this impacts on their thinking and opinions. I would say the same about Daily Telegraph readers, and of course, the aforementioned Sunday Sport.

Have a good day.

Baboonery

14-04-2010 11:41 AM

Dipsolala - your claim to the moral high ground is cheap and silly. Reading is mind opening, is it? Right. I think the Sun has done a lot over the years ro broaden the mind of its readership.

Vipes - Don't be daft. The relocation of Roz's post from the original thread into its own thread due to this forum's preposterously overactive off-topic radar didn't help. It denuded the post of its original context and made it look like a cheap jibe. It was a joke, obviously a joke, and the extent to which you're claiming to have been hurt by it is just silly.

vipes

14-04-2010 03:05 PM

Did you read my post? The "extent to which I claimed to be hurt by it" was zero. It wound me up for all the reasons I described.

dipsolala

14-04-2010 11:23 PM

Babs babe, I think you misunderstand me, which is my fault for not being clearer, obviously. Some people find jokes funny, others find them offensive. I found this one offensive.

I can't do this 'quoting' thing on here but Roz did say 'it wasn't a joke' in her 2nd post. So what are we to believe?

I think most other people here realise there is nothing 'wrong' with Sun readers, or any other readers of any other texts. You choose to misconstrue my post to be one opposed to 'Sun readers' for some reason. That's ok, it's your perspective. I'll have mine.

Now I think about it, I used to do work for the Sun and the Sunday Sport years ago...not sure I furthered literary progress in any way; and this misunderstanding is testament to that lol

dita-on-tees

15-04-2010 09:15 PM

Finding a copy of the Sun on the tube usually makes my commute, its great you cannot fail to marvel at Dear Deidre and it also has page three with wonderful big bouncy real bosoms, most of which are big enough to accommodate a double buggy......

brian

18-04-2010 11:51 AM

Surely Sun Readers is not correct. Mostly pictures.

shzl400

18-04-2010 11:59 AM

Great to see you back, brian, we've missed you! Thumbsup

Ghis

09-05-2010 04:14 PM

Roz you say the following:

"Naughty of me I know but it is fun now and again to throw a virtual firework into the room sometimes and see what happens. Livens up a dull evening."

On a forum this is called "trolling":

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2] In addition to the offending poster, the noun “troll” can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in that was an excellent troll you posted. While the term troll and its associated action, trolling, are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with trolling being used to describe many intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context."

Pages (2): « First [1] 2 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields