SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »
Sun readers
tripandfuschia

24-05-2010 11:29 PM

I think Roz has made her ambiguous remarks about sun readers in other threads. I think much of the Hornimans grants comes from taxes paid by sun readers and many sun readers can see through the line they are fed by rupert murdoch, does this mean I am taking Roz's joke/ stereotyping too seriously?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roz

24-05-2010 11:37 PM

Almost certainly however I respect your position.

Cellar Door

25-05-2010 12:44 PM

After The Sun put its weight behind the Conservatives earlier this year, Radio 4 broadcast a vox-pop piece on The Today programme. The reporter was at a caff where lorry drivers pulled in for a cuppa, somewhere north of London, and asked blokes who were carrying a copy of The Sun about this switch of allegiance.

I remember many of them saying that The Sun is just-a-bit-of-a-laugh-newspaper and not to be taken seriously. Most of them bought it for the sport section and didn't even read the front bit. Except for page 3 and then I think they weren't reading but just keeping abreast of things.

I don't buy newspapers generally but will flip through The Sun if it's left on a seat on the train. It reminds me very much of a newspaper that was published in Australia by News Corp. Everyone knew that the name of the paper was ironic. It was called, "The Truth".

My favourite sun headline of all time was the day after Elton John tied the knot with his long-term partner David Furnish. The headline was…

“ELTON TAKES DAVID UP THE AISLE”

As a gay bloke, this pun was right up my alley.
(With tip-top thanks to General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett VC DSO KCB from Blackadder Goes Forth for paraphrasing one of his lines.)

Melchett: Interesting thought. Make a note of it, Darling! Take a look at this: "King & Country".

Blackadder: Ah, yes, without question my favourite magazine; soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent.

Melchett: Top-hole Blackadder, I thought it would be right up your alley.

gingernuts

01-06-2010 10:46 AM

I was just about to say that I cant believe this thread is still going - but I can say now that I'm very glad it is. That was hilareous - thanks Cellar Door for making my day! Mirror readers are so dull.

Pages (2): « First < Previous 1 [2] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields