SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »
Jim Dowd MP
Dylan

12-04-2010 02:48 PM

what a curious notion Piglet! if you were a Party Member you could have discussed your concerns with Jim at the numerous Social Events, Branch Meetings and General Committee Meetings held by the local Party, pull the other one!
We in the Labour Party are well aware of the challenges we face, there is no such thing as a "safe" seat.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
piglet

12-04-2010 03:03 PM

I have done exactly what you suggest but nothing changes.

Please advise what Social events are held as I am not aware of any in Lewisham West. Lewisham East yes but not Lewisham West. There is a difference.

How do you feel about campaigning for someone who does not give constituents the service they expect?

gingernuts

12-04-2010 05:50 PM

I'm not impressed with Labour's efforts and even less impressed with the Tories. I have no idea who the Tory candidate is for the Lewisham West seat, what they stand for, why I should should vote for either of them? On the other hand, I hear so much about Alex Freakes (Lib Dem) you'd think he was already our MP!!! Scared

tripandfuschia

12-04-2010 07:13 PM

Hello Dylan, I do not know Piglet's situation, nor do I know much about Mr O'Dowd. I can say I was a Labour Party member for many years and gave a large commitment of time and effort in three general election campaigns. I have not been a party member for many years. I have lived in this seat for five years. After a very unsatisfactory and frankly rude response from Steve Bullock to corresponence expressing concern about traffic speed, road crossings and local traffic management issues I forwarded the correspondence to Mr O'Dowd via the Local labour party offices to find out his views. I recieved no reply. Perhaps this was a mistake/error/oversight but the impression I was left with, as someone who has a lot of sympathy for Labour, was that these two representatives had little sympathy for my views, as one of their constituents.

Baboonery

12-04-2010 11:22 PM

Piglet, you've been seen through, stop digging, please.

roz

13-04-2010 07:57 AM

It would however be good to clarify the position of MP's when Parliament is dissolved as it is now ie are they getting paid, and are they still meant to be getting involved with constituents casework etc? That might be considered inappropriate by the election bods.

showtunesgirl

13-04-2010 09:56 AM

Yes, they still get paid during this month. I heard Lembit Opik say so on Radio 2 yesterday lunchtime.

steveb

13-04-2010 10:05 AM

I emailed him last week and got a full reply the next day.
Admitedly it was for an organised campaign - against pub closures - and they are easier to answer than personal issues. But clearly his office is functioning.

sydenhamhiller

13-04-2010 10:56 AM

Just to add my 2 pen'orth: I live off Sydenham Hill, just one street into Southwark so while I am technically in Tessa Jowell's constituency, my children go to Eliot Bank, a Lewisham school, we go to Forest Hill library, a Lewisham library and would go to Forest Hill pools if they ever open. :o)

I contacted Mr Dowd's office about a matter in his constituency and never received a reply; in stark contrast to Ms Jowell's office, which runs like a well-oiled machine (I realise she is a minister, so you'd expect this perhaps).

I'm not making party political points (Dylan :o) ), or drawing party political conclusions. I am not particularly impressed with the current Labour party, or Ms Jowell (voting to rush the new The Digital Economy Bill through the Commons before the general election) but praise where it is due - she/ her office has been very good at communicating with a local constituent, and I am sorry that Piglet has not received a similar service from his/her local MP - again, irrespective of party etc etc etc.

piglet

14-04-2010 10:56 AM

I used to live in West Norwood and as a Constituent of Tessa Jowell's I contacted her office regularly. Emails were replied to within a few days and the telephone was answered during office hours.

Tessa Jowell's constituency is much larger and more complex than Mr Dowd's so how is it that Tessa can provide an excellent service compared to Mr Dowd?

Look at the salary bill for Mr Dowd's staff. What do they do all day bearing in mind all his staff are based in Forest Hill. There are no members of staff based at the Commons.

roz

14-04-2010 02:03 PM

Piglet, I would think that your best option was to go round to 43 Sunderland Road and ask to see Jim and demand an answer to his non responses. And also of course to the question you posed of him in the first place. Better than wasting your valuable time on here I think?

piglet

14-04-2010 02:59 PM

Roz

Your suggestions are silly and could I suggest you do something more productive with your time such as voluntary work?

showtunesgirl

14-04-2010 03:04 PM

Woah there!

roz

14-04-2010 03:19 PM

Well, Piglet, as you have spent 12 out of your entire se23.com history of 15 posts on this thread complaining about Jim's administration and, well, everything else about Jim Dowd , I thought that you might want to cut through the chase. But yes, how silly of me to suggest your doing something practical.

piglet

14-04-2010 03:37 PM

Roz

And you have spent all your time stalking my messages and making silly remarks and suggestions. Perhaps you are bored!

Still waiting for you to advise how one gets in touch with Jim via the House of Commons.......................................

ivor

14-04-2010 03:44 PM

I find it curious that the Labour Party Faithful on this thread are more ready to sling mud at Piglet than to defend the poor record of the MP who is asking for re-election.

piglet

14-04-2010 04:03 PM

I agree Ivor.

Perhaps Roz is Mr Dowd!

Facts on this website are very interesting:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/jim_dowd/lewisham_west

I repeat I am a Labour Party member.

michael

14-04-2010 04:28 PM

Roz wrote:
Piglet, I would think that your best option was to go round to 43 Sunderland Road and ask to see Jim and demand an answer to his non responses. And also of course to the question you posed of him in the first place. Better than wasting your valuable time on here I think?

I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu...

Sherwood on 18 January, 2006 wrote:
Roz, This may be a radical suggestion. But have you considered emailing Councillor Whiting to ask him to respond to your post?

Roz on 19 January, 2006 wrote:
I have indeed, but this is more fun...

piglet

14-04-2010 04:36 PM

Michael

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

roz

14-04-2010 05:31 PM

Piglet, I wonder why you bother to post here when you interpret people's responses and genuine attempts to assist you as 'stalking'? That is, before we all cottoned on to you and Ivor. Perhaps you could also explain why advice to actually go to the constituency offices is
'silly'. But then we know that you are not really seeking a solution here. Perhaps thats why you don't get satisfactory answers to your questions?

As for the link, what's interesting is the information that Jim seems to have responded to constituents within 2/3 weeks. Not bad really especially as this particular site tends to focus more on what MP's don't achieve rather than what they do. As for poor record, I can't actually find one, and its all relative anyway. One bad year does not a bad MP make,especially when there has been poor health. So I'm not sure how you think this information supports your arguments.

As we all know the guy has been very ill and as I see it has done fantastically well for his constituents considering everything and is one of the few MP's who has managed to retain some semblance of a good reputation when so many have been found wanting this year. And no, I haven't always agreed with him either.

Piglet, why don't you post your question to him on here and we'll all have a go at trying to answering it for you.:Smile

Pages (7): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next > Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields