SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »
Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd
tripandfuschia

05-05-2010 10:31 AM

Hello Shaman, sorry to hear about your frustrations. It was my letter to the Mayor about traffic calming, which he referred to as a 'dirge' about life in Lewisham, and my forwarding of the correspondence, to Mr Dowd, which got no response, which energised me to start this thread at election time, so I agree with you that tomorrow will be a time when some people will be happy to express their views about our local represenatives.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tripandfuschia

05-05-2010 10:56 AM

With regard to the above I'm not really sure about Alex Feakes position. I had said earlier on this thread that I had read a newspaper article in the local press with quotes from him saying that Forest Hill was aginst the 20 mph zone before the results were published. He tells me he may have been mis quoted and that this is not the position expressed in his news letters. I kept the offending atricle for months incase he came canvassing but then binned it. I cannot find it on internet searches. Others have told me they also saw the article so I do not think I am mistaken. However it is possible he was misquoted. I am not really sure what his position is. This probably doesn't help your potential voting possibilities Shaman

shaman

05-05-2010 11:01 AM

Well, thank you for starting the thread, tripandfuschia . It seems to be provoking more discussion than the council are prepared to have.

I think I'll have a bit more non-dialogue with them before getting some cyclists together and lying down in the road outside the junction at rush hour. Sneaky

I'd quite like to put a few of these transport bods on bikes and push them down that hill, see how they like the experience. Wink

tripandfuschia

05-05-2010 11:38 AM

you do get into Alice in Wonderland territory when you try to use logic with them it seems, for example a pedestrian crossing allowing pedestrians to access One Tree Hill from the Lewisham side ( Southwark have one on Brenchley Gardens as well as a speed camera and a 20mph zone ) cannot be put in place as the road is too twisty and the traffic is moving too fast, surely all the more reason for a crossing, but rest assured, there has only been one pedestrian casualty in the last three years so there is no need for one. Perhaps if pedestrians could reach it more safely there would be more of them crossing the road.

michael

05-05-2010 11:41 AM

I have emailed a couple of contacts at TfL Urban Traffic Control who helped with the Honor Oak Road traffic lights last year. I have asked them to take a look at this junction and suggested banning some right-hand turns.
I'm hoping that they may have the power and inclination to take a look at the junction and make a expert analysis of the situation. I have also included a link to the post on this thread regarding the cyclist who was hit.

I don't expect anything to change overnight but I hope that the right people will be investigating this junction, which is the responsibility of TfL.

shaman

05-05-2010 12:12 PM

Thank you for your efforts Michael. Much appreciated.

tripandfuschia

31-07-2010 06:55 PM

Im just adding to this as there is a new thread about Devonshire rd and people contributing to that may like to read this one incase they missed it before. Hopefully something can be done but it seems the political will is lacking. Interestingly I visited my old home of Hackney when the ell opened to find even more traffic calming, trees, and bikes controlled parking, flower beds across blocked off roads, pedestrian ways than there were six years ago when I moved here. Lewisham really does seem to be in the dark ages Im afraid on this issue.

michael

31-07-2010 07:24 PM

I did get a response from TfL which I had forgotten to post up here.

Surface Transport Customer Services wrote:
Currently there are three direct routes for traffic on B238 Honor Oak Road to access the A205 South Circular in this area. These are Honor Oak Road, Devonshire Road and Brockley Rise. As you point out, if a banned right turn were to be introduced on Devonshire Road this would increase the volume of traffic using Honor Oak Road and Brokley Rise. However, both of these roads already have high traffic volumes particularly in the peak periods, and additional vehicles could lead to further congestion. It may also increase traffic on smaller residential roads. Furthermore, it is a concern that a significant diversion would be required for right turning vehicles both into and out of Devonshire Road, particularly for residents that live on this road itself.

If a banned turn were to be introduced it would need to be enforced to ensure compliance with the restriction. However, as there is no camera with a clear view of the junction mouth, movements at the junction could not be effectively enforced.

We have looked into the latest 36 months of personal injury collision data available for this junction, up to December 2009. There have been two collisions, one of which involved a pedal cycle turning right into Devonshire Road. Based on the number of collisions we could not justify banning this movement into Devonshire Road on safety grounds.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. I appreciate this might not be a response you will welcome however, I hope you will accept the rationale behind our decision.

Some interesting points are made here although I do find it almost amusing that there will not consider installing a new restriction without a camera at the junction, given the difficulty we have had pursuading the council that more enforcement was required on Manor Mount one way section.

tripandfuschia

31-07-2010 09:02 PM

Thanks for posting this, its interesting too they will only take into account numbers of injuries and not quality of life for residents. The same argument is used against a pedestrian crossing to get to one tree hill, that only one person has been injured so trying, but they don't seem to understand a lot of people may not even try at all or so succeed but have a terrible time doing so.
Well in the spirit of the big society perhaps local people should set up their own camera!

Perryman

01-08-2010 12:04 AM

.....and paint their own zebra crossings.

tripandfuschia

01-08-2010 10:15 AM

Im with you there Perryman, it seems the one area of local control this Government do not support is in the choosing of whether a speed camera is appropriate by the local authority, I believe strict conditions of number of people injured is now the only way to get one, as decided in the Conservative party conference last Autumn, and local discretion has been removed. The big society is a victim of the truce in te outrageous war on the Motorist....which is now over!!!

Pages (4): « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill rd, traffic calming measures - Southwark council samuelsen 0 2,529 19-09-2019 09:31 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Just a warning: Faulty traffic light on Devonshire/London Rd intersection. Chris88 4 6,445 12-09-2014 09:48 AM
Last Post: Chris88
  Change Devonshire Road Traffic Flow Petition yomster 4 6,860 13-10-2013 06:49 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Change Flow of Traffic On Devonshire Road yomster 20 18,508 07-02-2013 07:44 AM
Last Post: Sherwood