SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd
tripandfuschia

30-04-2010 07:09 PM

Shzl, in your post at 9.55am yesterday ( sorry I don't know how to copy the quote as you do ) you state that blocking roads is .....to the detriment of residents there.........I am merely trying to make the point, although not really succeeding it seems, that not all residents would find it detrimental, partly as many do not own cars and partly as some who do, myself included, would be happy to trade more inconvenience when we choose to use them for less through traffic.

I have previously suggested the traffic calming found between Brockley Rise and Honor Oak rd could give some ideas of how the area could be. Cars cannot turn off Brockley Rise and cut through Parbury Rd/Grierson Rd in order to miss out the traffic lights an Brockley Rise/ Honor Oak Rd junction.
I am sure this inconveniences a lot of drivers who live on Grierson Rd and have to sit in a queue for a few minutes when driving past one tree hill and having to go all the way through the lights at the junction then back again ( and probably make more pollution ). However the trade off is they have a quiet rd as do the residents of the roads that lead to Grierson rd. All the train commuters have a pavement to walk on which is not de facto a car park and they have a nice quiet tree lined street to walk along at 8am in the morning with no queues of cars beside them.

I appreciate you are not a traffic engineer, nor am I but I merely ask if you have ideas to speed up the traffic on London Rd to make the point that there is probably little to be done to speed up that traffic. We are living in a very congested city. Journeys by car are increasing as Andrewr points out in earlier posts. What we can all do as citizens is decide how we would like our city to be. I am seeing the increased congestion being pushed on to roads like Devonshire. My choice is for that not to happen and I am raising the issue here not because I think I know best or I'm trying to tell you off as a two car family, but because I do not think the issue is really raised in this city much. Increasing congestion is not inevitable and many people would like to do something about it. You, Shzl seem happy with things as they are, well thats's fine but please do not think your view is shared by every other person who lives in this area. I know my view is not.

Yes, I do live in the local area, on one of the roads feeding into Devonshire, which also has its share of through traffic, sometimes I drive my car and sometimes I walk to the station or the bus stop or to the shops at Honor Oak along Devonshireor the town centre of Forest Hill along Devonshire. I walk along Devonshire in a daily basis at peak times and yes I do think I have a stake in local traffic management.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd - tripandfuschia - 30-04-2010 07:09 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill rd, traffic calming measures - Southwark council samuelsen 0 2,595 19-09-2019 10:31 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Just a warning: Faulty traffic light on Devonshire/London Rd intersection. Chris88 4 6,579 12-09-2014 10:48 AM
Last Post: Chris88
  Change Devonshire Road Traffic Flow Petition yomster 4 6,999 13-10-2013 07:49 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Change Flow of Traffic On Devonshire Road yomster 20 18,931 07-02-2013 08:44 AM
Last Post: Sherwood