SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd
tripandfuschia

28-04-2010 08:10 PM

Andrewr You are correct that there are more and more car journeys but every study I have seen shows that increasing road capacity increases traffic so I cannot agree that space should be taken from pedestrians and given to car drivers. The easier it is to drive along Devoshire/Benson rd compared to driving along the south circular/ Honor Oak rd the more drivers will do it. The quicker it is to commute by car the more many people will do it. The cheaper it is to commute by car compared to public transport the more many people will do it. Stopping rat runs may increase journey times for some car commuters and may persuade some to look at alternatives. The same traffic calming may also make some local residents use alternatives to driving for short journeys and I think this may be a good thing as the figures show the vast majority of journeys under 2 miles are by car in the UK unlike in almost any other European country where walking and cycling may be promoted ( for example by not using pavements as car parks to increase road capacity). It is to be regretted that some local residents who may for various reasons have to use their cars may have longer/less convenient journeys caused by the trafic calming. Also I would hazard a guess that the majority of residents of Devonshire Rd and all the associated roads in the area, Benson Ewelme, Tyson, Dunoon etc etc which we are discussing are not regular car drivers, ( ie do not use their car if they have one for a daily commute), so again I will say that incoveniencing drivers or not is not the only issue. Lastly I will also hazard a guess that the majority of drivers driving along Devonshire rd are not beginning or ending their journeys in Devonshire rd or the associated roads, ie they do not live in the local area. These are all suppositions based on observation only so without the figures I cannot be sure. The census I am referring to is when the police were stopping people on Devonshire rd. There was a big sign saying census and there were non police uniform officials there. I assumed they were asking people about their journeys but as I was not driving when I saw it I was not stopped and asked questions. It was approx 9 months ago around or just before the time the 20mph questionnaire came out.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd - tripandfuschia - 28-04-2010 08:10 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill rd, traffic calming measures - Southwark council samuelsen 0 2,532 19-09-2019 09:31 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Just a warning: Faulty traffic light on Devonshire/London Rd intersection. Chris88 4 6,454 12-09-2014 09:48 AM
Last Post: Chris88
  Change Devonshire Road Traffic Flow Petition yomster 4 6,864 13-10-2013 06:49 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Change Flow of Traffic On Devonshire Road yomster 20 18,516 07-02-2013 07:44 AM
Last Post: Sherwood