SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd
tripandfuschia

27-04-2010 09:09 PM

I still think the issue is more than one of whether banning right turns into or out of Devonshire rd will make life more or less convenient for motorists. There is the congestion/pollution suffered by residents and pedestrians along Devonshire and associated roads. There is also the illegal parking on the pavement most of the way along the Honor Oak end of Devonshire rd. This pavement parking stops two people being able to walk side by side on the pavement, necessitates pushchairs and prams sometimes entering the road as the pavement is too narrow and life very difficult for people using wheelchairs. On rubbish day the pavement is impassable. Our we not supposed to be encouraging walking ? It is not so pleasant when a walk is on a blocked pavement or next to a stationary traffic jam of cars. If the road is too narrow for the amount of cars parked there and the through traffic the solution is not to take away pavement space in my opinion, but to look at the problem of where cars are going and why. Perhaps Lewisham should just dig up half the pavements and make the road wider. I suspect this would not be seen as the right thing to do. Yet this is de facto the case. I have lived in many London boroughs but I do not think I have lived in one where illegal pavement parking is allowed and indeed for the people who live on Devonshire rd who own cars perhaps necessitated by the lack of traffic management. I think it very illogical to set up a 20 mph zone, and then allow cars to park in the pedestrian space so the road can accomodate more through traffic at higher speeds. I saw an article a while ago ( cannot remember which paper ) it was about property and the east london line extension etc ( the whole line not just here ). The only thing the journalist had to say about Forest Hill was that the streets off Devonshire rd were notorius rat runs. Well that's just one persons opinion, and they probably do not even know the area that well but what a shame to pick up a paper, see an article about the area you have chosen to live in and see it the way some others do.
Perhaps those who find the pavement parking a problem should report it to the local anti social behaviour team ? ( although for anyone who lives on Devonshire rd and feels they have to do it I do have a lot of sympathy), I think the congestion there and weight of traffic is disproportionate and could be so much better managed.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd - tripandfuschia - 27-04-2010 09:09 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill rd, traffic calming measures - Southwark council samuelsen 0 2,529 19-09-2019 09:31 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Just a warning: Faulty traffic light on Devonshire/London Rd intersection. Chris88 4 6,445 12-09-2014 09:48 AM
Last Post: Chris88
  Change Devonshire Road Traffic Flow Petition yomster 4 6,862 13-10-2013 06:49 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Change Flow of Traffic On Devonshire Road yomster 20 18,510 07-02-2013 07:44 AM
Last Post: Sherwood