SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd
shaman

23-04-2010 08:24 AM

andrewr wrote:
Blocking right turns might be helpful at the South Circular end but would be very inconvenient for residents wanting to leave the road at Honor Oak Park.

We have lived in Forest Hill since mid November and my fiancee has already had two incidents as a cyclist, involving cars turning right across her path from Devonshire Road into the south circular, the second of which involved the vehicle running into the side of her! How you pull out of a junction into the side of a cyclist I will never know. I presume it involves not looking.

It seems that having lights on and dayglo clothing on doesn't make a difference, as (I imagine) car drivers are focusing far more on what is happening in the lane into which they are turning.

It's really knocked her confidence, particularly as she was already wary of the junction after the first near miss.

Whatever happens with this road, as things stand it looks like a terrible junction to allow right turns out of that increases the likelihood that another cyclist will be hit. This is the only way through unless you are able to carry a bike through the underpass afaik or prepared to break the law and use the pavement.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Traffic calming for rat run on Devonshire Rd - shaman - 23-04-2010 08:24 AM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill rd, traffic calming measures - Southwark council samuelsen 0 2,529 19-09-2019 09:31 PM
Last Post: samuelsen
  Just a warning: Faulty traffic light on Devonshire/London Rd intersection. Chris88 4 6,443 12-09-2014 09:48 AM
Last Post: Chris88
  Change Devonshire Road Traffic Flow Petition yomster 4 6,858 13-10-2013 06:49 PM
Last Post: shzl400
  Change Flow of Traffic On Devonshire Road yomster 20 18,502 07-02-2013 07:44 AM
Last Post: Sherwood