SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Car-jackings in Forest Hill & Sydenham
blushingsnail

06-04-2010 10:09 AM

A member of Sydenham Town Forum recently posted about his wife's car being 'car-jacked' on Kirkdale, with their young child still in the car. Fortunately the car thieves abandoned the car on Dartmouth Road when they realised a child was in the car.

The STF Administrator has now posted a message from the police, which I've quoted below. The original can be found here. There have been 3 vehicles stolen in this way in SE26 and SE23 recently. (I originally thought it was just in Sydenham but reading the police message in detail I see that a van was stolen on London Road, SE23, hence I'm posting this in SE23 Topics.)

Police Appeal, 1 April 2010

Appeal after vehicles stolen from drivers

Detectives are appealing for information after reports that three people have had their vehicles stolen while they were driving in Sydenham.

Police are investigating three separate incidents in which a man has indicated that there is a problem with the vehicle and the victim has got out, before another man has got into the vehicle and driven away.

On 25 a white van was stolen on High Level Drive at the junction with Westwood Hill, the next day a silver van was stolen on London Road, SE23, and on 29 March a car was stolen on Kirkdale at the junction with Jews Walk.

In the most recent instance the victim’s three year old son was in the back of her car when it was stolen, but fortunately it was abandoned shortly after and the child was left inside unharmed.

Detective Constable Liz Hughes said: “We believe these incidents are linked, as each case is very similar and the suspects have encouraged the drivers to leave their vehicles by indicating animatedly that there is something wrong.

“These thefts have been extremely distressing for the victims, particularly in the case involving the young child, and we would urge anyone who saw anything to contact the police.”

Police officers advise members of the public not to stop their vehicles if approached unless they think there is a serious safety problem, and in this case ensure the vehicle is locked before leaving it.

Sydenham and Forest Hill Safer Neighbourhoods teams are available to offer any further crime prevention advice, please contact 0208 649 3598 or 0208 721 2723 to speak to a member of one of these teams.

Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to contact Lewisham CID on 0208 284 7959 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. In an emergency always ring 999.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lottie

06-04-2010 05:31 PM

Thanks for the warning as I regularly drive to Sydenham. Is there a description of the man?

roz

06-04-2010 08:35 PM

This used to be a regular occurrence in the back streets of East Dulwich too- its probably a very effective tactic employed by range of criminals so best not to fall for it. Good job they abandoned the car with the child in it, that could have been a really frightening and awful outcome.
I'll now use my central locking system in future as have become very blase about it of late.

Mickey

08-04-2010 08:40 PM

Thank you for the warning, will be sure to pass on the word.
What has got into the world?

LilBro

13-04-2010 02:31 PM

This happened to my 81 year old father about 4 weeks ago on Crescent Wood Road, he was just starting his car when a guy came over to him, tapped on the window and said a cat was aslelep under the back wheel, my dad gets out to investigate, leaves the keys in the ignition. meanwhile the guy jumps in the drivers seat, my poor old dad moved as fast as he could and got into the passenger seat, luckily for him the car-jacker jumped out of the car and fled the scene with my dad in pursuit in the car! Unfortunately he didn't get the police involved - beware of scams like this!!

dipsolala

13-04-2010 09:20 PM

Well done to your dad, I'm sure it was a huge shock but good show getting back in the car (although potentially dangerous), bet it gave that person a well deserved come-uppance...well done. Hope he's rested now.

it's ridiculous the amount of rubbish people, especially older, have to put up with

brian

18-04-2010 11:50 AM

Well done your Dad.
I would like to ask then question ( as I have no idea ) what would an offender be charged with in the unlikely event he was reprimanded.
I would have thought 10 years of penal servitude but probably get a holiday in Brighton

Snazy

18-04-2010 03:30 PM

I would assume the charge would be something public order based, causing alarm/distress etc. Nothing heavy, and nothing that would carry a serious penalty.

brian

18-04-2010 05:18 PM

As I thought. How could it not carry a custodial sentence. The world has gone. Bring bad good Judge Jeffries , he did no stand for any nonsense

ryananglem

19-04-2010 07:02 AM

Personally, I think that anyone who writes things on public forums that offend my sensibilities should get sent down - but the government now only has powers to cut off their internet connection without requiring any evidence. What is the world coming to? Soft, soft, soft! Still - one step closer to an authoritarian state hey Brian, so its a start.

Loubag

16-05-2010 01:03 AM

15-05-2010 I have this evening been a victim of a car jacking in Sydenham. I had my car for sale on Autotrader and someone called me to view the car. He looked around the car for about 30 minutes outside my house. Two or more accomplices turned up on foot and one of them placed their hand over my mouth I ran towards my house and they drove off at speed. Please be extra cautious if you are selling your car.

roz

16-05-2010 08:08 AM

What a frightening experience for you, Loubag, hope you are ok?

If we ever sell our car (unless it claps out first) I'll definitely go to a trader and take a hit on the price rather than try and deal with the general public as I've sold three now and its never been a comfortable experience.
I last sold a car in Glasgow some years ago with ads in similar publications. An odd looking man turned up. After the test drive ( I took a friend with me) he then phoned to ask me to bring the car and paperwork to a multistorey car park in the centre of Glasgow for a cash transaction. Needless to say I refused and that was the last I heard of it. Until a few weeks later when I saw his photofit in the paper that is. He was wanted for armed robbery and was eventually caught and jailed for this and various other nasty crimes on some of Glasgows notorious housing estates. Nasty.

Keep safe.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forest Hill & Sydenham CND Spring Fair Tim Lund 1 3,623 08-05-2017 05:36 PM
Last Post: Tim Lund
  Praying for Sydenham and Forest Hill robin orton 0 2,546 11-11-2010 09:52 AM
Last Post: robin orton