SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Warning! Conwoman about in SE23
Cecily

02-04-2010 12:15 PM

Last week a casually dressed but tidy and smiley black woman in her 30s came to my door in the afternoon claiming to be a neighbour and saying she had three children at home and her electricity meter had run out etc etc. She asked if I could spare some money for her card which she will give back when her partner got home from work blah blah. OK, I pretty much knew I was being conned, but she was very charming and I kept thinking, 'what if it's true?' so gave her £5. Needless to say, that was the last I saw of it. Apparently she is pretty famous is East Dulwich and Brixton and has clearly decided to extend her career to SE23. Don't be fooled!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
councillorsusanwise

02-04-2010 01:15 PM

Dear Cecily
Thank you for posting this message as this woman, and I expect it is the same one or a close colleague, has carried out this scam in se23 for a long time. She, or someone like her, has approached residents from Perry Vale/ Catford to Forest Hill/ Sydenham.
A couple of years ago she pulled this scam on one of my new, and then as yet unmet, neighbours, giving my address for them to call and collect the reimbursed money. Of course you can imagine they were very upset when they did call and realised that they had been taken for fools when they thought they had been doing someone a good turn.

roz

02-04-2010 03:01 PM

A woman fitting this description turned up last week saying she was an author selling her novelette, also I believe for £5?

If not the same person then perhaps someone's started up a franchise....

Cecily

02-04-2010 05:43 PM

Hopefully the more people know about her the fewer people she will con. Obviously she's been doing this for years and years.

Mickey

02-04-2010 09:00 PM

Thanks for the warning, I will be sure to pass the story on.

Jane2

09-04-2010 08:54 AM

Oh yes I had a lady come to my door selling a novelette too. She had a pram at the end of the driveway. She seemed quite believable but I didn't buy the book (I wouldn't have enough time to read it!). Is it the same person do you think? I just assumed it was someone being enterprising....

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields