SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 [2] 3 Next > Last »
Where are the worst Potholes?
shzl400

12-04-2010 08:00 PM

Again, not in SE23, but Montague Avenue, which goes up the side of Hilly Fields, is positively third world.

However, the previous worst offender Brookmill Road/Thurston Road has been resurfaced and is lovely now.

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWereAbsolutelyFuming

13-04-2010 08:06 AM

Yup, pleased to see that the deepest of Taymount Rise's potholes are finally filled. The road is still in a state though, riding on it is like cycling over a cobbled street and some of the undulations can throw you off balance if they take you by surprise. I know it is a quietish side street so it wont get resurfaced for years but it is a shame that we're in a position where roads have to get seriously dangerous before they get priority for re-laying.

Also a shame that Lewisham didn't employ a section 106 with the developers of the block of flats that was built near the top of the road a year or two back to secure a contribution to resurfacing the road. It definitely further deteriorated following deliveries by a large number of HGVs over the construction period.

davhel52

14-09-2010 11:10 PM

The worst Potholes are at the top of Eliot Bank,but what the hell.Try saying something to the locals who live by them.They absolutely love em.No Rats running through!! So the potholes must stay.Local Council call it an unmaintained highway(Some sort of legal description) and have put up Yellow warning notices.The fun would begin if some poor bikelist was hotwheeling it up Eliot bank one night,failed to spot the Notices or the Holes(Canyons) and was catapulted into oblivion.No-one would give a proverbial Toss or would they???
Road laws regarding maintainence are indeed hard to fathom(Which of course describes the depth of the holes quite well)

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

15-03-2011 10:55 AM

Ahh, the old chap with his truck, shovel and pile of tarmac has been back to randomly 'repair' some of the potholes on Taymount Rise.

Don't get me wrong, in the current economic climate I have no expectation of Taymount Rise getting a proper resurface I just wish they wouldn't waste time and money pretending to repair potholes by loosely filling them with tarmac.

I notice the same chap has been active in the remaining unresurfaced part of Horniman Drive with much the same result.

robin orton

15-03-2011 11:36 AM

Thorpewood Avenue, previously a cratered lunar landscape, has just been properly (apparently) resurfaced.

Londondrz

15-03-2011 11:48 AM

Just come back from 3 weeks in South Africa where I drove around 2000 miles on various roads. I dont remember seeing a single pot hole. Is London now a 3rd world country?

brian

15-03-2011 12:29 PM

Surely potholes are an inexpensive way of slowing traffic down.

Re 3rd world country how many citizens of South Africa could afford to holiday here for 3 weeks.

Londondrz

15-03-2011 12:36 PM

Judging by the very full plane on the way back, quite a few.

Perryman

15-03-2011 01:07 PM

Sunderland Rd is quite bad at the Perry Vale end.
Mayow Pk has the worst potholes, although that only affects parents with prams, little children on bikes and people in wheelchairs, so I guess that is OK.

dad_jokes

02-04-2013 04:41 PM

THE ROADS IN HOP ARE QUITE SHOCKING

Is no one bothered? Mahoosive pot holes everywhere. The council tax just went up - i expect some money will go towards this?

Am not used to such bad roads, been in Sarf for half a year.

lacb

02-04-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:
THE ROADS IN HOP ARE QUITE SHOCKING

It is true.

Have reported the junction of Honor Oak Park and Stondon Park to the council but there are many other examples.

Snazy

02-04-2013 05:14 PM

Top of Church Rise now almost has a dip in it, rather than a pothole! Reported months ago, acknowledged, but never repaired.

lacb

02-04-2013 05:24 PM

Sounds similar. I don't know how you reported it but there is at least an inspection booked apparently - not sure when:

HOP/SP Road damage

I used the Love Lewisham app. It is a new one, that actually seems to work. How one would know about it am not really sure - came across it by accident almost.

AMFM

03-04-2013 10:41 AM

try http://www.fillthathole.org.uk - there's an app for it too so you can use your phone to take a picture of the pothole/hazard and attach it to your report.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

03-04-2013 12:03 PM

This winter seems to have done for most of the roads in London. There are some scarily large potholes all along my cycle route to work. On the plus side if one does cause you to 'eat tarmac' (not recommended, I tried it last year) there isn't a lot of tarmac left to eat.

I know that money is tight and the roads have taken a pounding but the laughable 'repairs' that Lewisham have been undertaking have got even worse over the last few months. The man with his shovel full of tarmac doesn't even bother to pack it down any more and leaves it in an attractive loose hillock. I guess this is to allow the passing traffic to compress it but all that seems to happen is the tarmac gets knocked out/washed away.

Job well done Lewisham...

Snazy

03-04-2013 12:54 PM

There are my 2 favourites at the mo.

Where is the best place to report them?

[attachment=1864]

Outside 8 Church Rise, and at the junction of Church Rise and South Rd. There is another huge one on the other side of the junction too.

IWereAbsolutelyFuming

03-04-2013 01:17 PM

Here ...although it isnt loading properly for me. I think there is a Love Lewisham app too.

This is a quote from the Lewisham Roads and Pavements page:

Quote:
Why we do not repair all the potholes

There is a limit as to how effectively we can repair many of the potholes. Potholes less than 5cm deep are impossible to repair because the repair material is simply plucked from these shallow depressions by passing traffic. Any repair lasts only days or weeks before it is broken up and then distributed all over the surrounding road surface, often leaving the road in a worse state than it was before.

Which is fair enough to a degree but when half the roads are made up of multiple <5cm deep potholes they really need to be undertaking a proper repair of a stretch of road. And hitting a 4cm deep pothole at any speed on a bike is pretty dangerous...

Erekose

03-04-2013 01:24 PM

The bottom of Normanton street is pretty rough. In fact all of Normanton street is.

michael

03-04-2013 01:47 PM

Love Lewisham have closed this report. As you will see, this large hole has been sprayed round and temporary fences erected 6 weeks ago which have fallen over since. Another problem solved by Lewisham council.

Snazy

03-04-2013 02:52 PM

Looks sorted to me Michael, you cant walk or drive over it, what more do you want Unsure Haha

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields